Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am getting the 220amp alternator option plus the upfitter connections for a 2500 window van. I would like to power a 6000 watt inverter with a couple of house batteries. I'm too chicken to tinker with powers I don't understand so I'd like to hire a professional. What type of business would install a battery bank and inverter? I live in Santa Fe New Mexico.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Do you have a solar installer there? They could do it and/or a RV dealer or service business would be another choice.
Good luck- it should be easy.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Hello,

I am getting the 220amp alternator option plus the upfitter connections for a 2500 window van. I would like to power a 6000 watt inverter with a couple of house batteries. I'm too chicken to tinker with powers I don't understand so I'd like to hire a professional. What type of business would install a battery bank and inverter? I live in Santa Fe New Mexico.
Thanks.
6,000 watts is 50 amps @ 120 volts! It would draw well over 500 amps from your batteries! What are you running? I never hit 50 amps in my whole house! KilWerBzz is right buy a big ol' gasoline powered generator and carry it around. I have calculated my current draw in my van plans and I might hit 10 amps at 12 volts (60 watts) and 5 amps at 120 volts (600 watts) but I can't for the life of me think what you would need 6,000 watts for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I am planning to host gaming LAN parties for up to eight people. And feed them. Technically, we're "camping", but with all those electronics I'd hardly call it that. :)

The average use case will be four people. I imagine 4 people playing on (4) Xbox 360's, (4) 22" LCD monitors, (4) capture devices recording all the gameplay. Meanwhile we start up a meal inside because it's raining (don't want bad weather to spoil our fun!) so we start up the electric skillet, have the rice cooker going in the background. Then someone decides to pop something in the microwave. Boom. That's 4362 watts peak and only the rice cooker drops considerably when it's done cooking and only warming. No one wants any breakers popping in the middle of a session.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Perhaps switch some of that electric resistance cooking to butane or propane? Many chefs use butane stoves. See: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Portable-Twin-Butane-Stove/dp/B00B70MWGM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435246737&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=double+butane+cooker[/ame]
HUGE savings in batteries and longer playing times!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. Is butane safe to cook with in an enclosed space? Remember that rainy day I mentioned? Add wind.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,520 Posts
Plan B,

Get an awning and a propane grill. Burgers and dogs beat rice and ..., no?

2000 watt Honda Generator attached to tow hitch rack for additional AC... quiet, pretty clean power... use it to keep charging 12V batteries while gaming.

Just a thought...

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Hmmm. Is butane safe to cook with in an enclosed space? Remember that rainy day I mentioned? Add wind.
Crack a window. These are used inside all the time. The flame produces H2O, CO2 and CO if oxygen is depleted. Just use a little sense and don't leave one on and go to sleep. Get a CO detecter which you should have anyway. Many of us have cooked with Propane using the same cautions.... no problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I am sure I can live with a 4000 watt inverter. I still have to find someone to install it. Yesterday I sent out three e-mail requests for information to three RV service companies in Albuquerque. Only one responded and that was to ask if anyone had responded and if they could add me to a mailing list.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
By far your most reasonable alternative is a 4500 watt generator mounted on a rack inserted in a tow hitch. Look for a quiet one that has a low oil shutoff incase the gaming gets so good the generator is forgotten. This will probably be $800. The problem with an inverter is you want to game for hours @ 2000-3,000 watts and that is one gimungus battery set. Read $1,200 Then you need a HUGE charger! Huge is like several golf cart battery sets! (one golf cart set would run the 2,000 watts for less than three hours (down to 50%). Get your usage down to 1000 watts and you would have 4-5 hours. Remember 740 watts is a horsepower! You are thinking of using something like 7.5 HP continuously for hours.
Best

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a good idea as long as it's fairly quiet. The Honda EU3000is and the Champion Power 75531i appear to be the best candidates in the quiet department at ~60db. But they only run 2800 running watts. Anyone have a better option?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, I am sure I can live with a 4000 watt inverter. I still have to find someone to install it. Yesterday I sent out three e-mail requests for information to three RV service companies in Albuquerque. Only one responded and that was to ask if anyone had responded and if they could add me to a mailing list.

Have you measured how much power each Xbox + monitor uses? A quick online search pegs them out at about 175w. A 22" monitor might be another 30w. I don't know what you are using to record, but 8 X 205 = 1640w. That is about what my $550 Costco Smarter Tools inverter generator puts out. These small generators are also pretty quiet.

From what you write, it does not appear you are doing this with the van moving. If you get two of those inverter/generators and the cable that links them together, you get double the watts, 3200/4000 surge. The inverter is built into the generator and it is pure sign wave so your delicate electronic gets fed clean power. You will be running at 50% capacity for your gaming and have, it seems to me, enough power to cook a meal.

I concur with the other posters to consider alternative power for cooking if possible. Any kind of resistive heating is hard on power.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I am planning to host gaming LAN parties for up to eight people. And feed them. Technically, we're "camping", but with all those electronics I'd hardly call it that. :)

The average use case will be four people. I imagine 4 people playing on (4) Xbox 360's, (4) 22" LCD monitors, (4) capture devices recording all the gameplay. Meanwhile we start up a meal inside because it's raining (don't want bad weather to spoil our fun!) so we start up the electric skillet, have the rice cooker going in the background. Then someone decides to pop something in the microwave. Boom. That's 4362 watts peak and only the rice cooker drops considerably when it's done cooking and only warming. No one wants any breakers popping in the middle of a session.
If you're at a campground, can't you use shore power?

Unless you have a battery bank as large as a Tesla, inverter power won't work.

Portable generators may work but will need refueling often if operating near their maximum rating.

If you are planning all this for a rainy day worse-case, have you considered need for air conditioning or heat? If you use over 3,000 watts of power inside a small van it's going to get very hot unless you ventilate. And humid outside air on a rainy day may not be best for equipment or comfort.

Sounds to me like a large generator or two are needed, or else reserve a spot or two at a campground with at least 30-Amp service.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More good points made! I had not considered the heat being a factor. We do almost entirely non-facility camping so shore-power is not an option. I also found out that two generators does not equal double the noise, so I might just be better off getting one of those small cargo hitch racks that fold up. I could put two of the quieter generators and a gas can on the back for travel, then tuck the generators sorta kinda under the back of the van to help squash the noise. Or just get by with one. We could always make sandwiches. Gluttonous gamers!

·
Registered
43 Posts
More good points made! I had not considered the heat being a factor. We do almost entirely non-facility camping so shore-power is not an option. I also found out that two generators does not equal double the noise, so I might just be better off getting one of those small cargo hitch racks that fold up. I could put two of the quieter generators and a gas can on the back for travel, then tuck the generators sorta kinda under the back of the van to help squash the noise. Or just get by with one. We could always make sandwiches. Gluttonous gamers!

Be careful with fumes. If the generators are too close to the van you can get C02 fumes into the van.... dangerous. Make sure you get a couple of those portable C02 alarms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Find a good electrician for Inverter battery installation is not tough. You can find out online or locally. Recently last month i bought inverter and battery online from BatteryBhai and they gave free installation service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would recommend 2 inverters of lower wattage. One dedicated for the gamers, and one for the other stuff. If an inverter faults with and over current, etc the whole unit shuts down. If you want trouble free inverters, get Xantrex pure signwave inverter, with several apc's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts