Ram Promaster Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,591 Posts
I got the pan base framed out and built yesterday, so now it's just a matter of finding the right spot to drill through and to start framing out the walls.
I know you are well into your planning but I thought I'd mention that I've built a couple half height showers with a wrap around curtain for the upper half. It can be roomier/larger on top. I had a 6" step in front so the curtain stayed in.

Edit - Should have mentioned one with a removeable counter insert. I kept the cassette toilet in it.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I know you are well into your planning but I thought I'd mention that I've built a couple half height showers with a wrap around curtain for the upper half. It can be roomier/larger on top. I had a 6" step in front so the curtain stayed in.

Edit - Should have mentioned one with a removeable counter insert. I kept the cassette toilet in it.
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback, but I’m kind of set on my hard-walled mini bathroom. The build is going pretty well so far. 🙂

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Bathroom is mostly done now. I just have to silicone the seams, hang the shower head and build the door.

Thanks Lola for the ideas. Really glad I didn’t build out around that monster shower pan now. The extra space around the kitchen area is great.

Interior design Toilet Floor Wood Flooring

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Interesting idea to use the space behind the seat to push back the toliet for more room. I'll also have a seat similar to that, but as thinking of leaving that space open so I could store things behind the seat, however this might be a better idea.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I just picked back up working on it today. We recently moved, so I've been busy unpacking and all that stuff.

I had picked out a cheap simple door design, but when I went to Home Depot this morning, wood prices are still so darn expensive that just to build the door I'm looking at about hundred bucks for all the materials, not including the hardware that I already bought.

So, I decided to pick up a hollow core closet door that was only 18 inches wide and sawed it down to the size of the doorway. It was only $23 and figured that it's something that I could always upgrade later if I'm dissatisfied.

While I had it open, I punched through all of the cardboard ribs that I could reach in order to fill in the cavities with a spray foam to make it feel more solid. Probably was unnecessary but spray foam is cheap and I had the door open anyway. I ripped some of the extra 5mm plywood that I had that I'll glue onto the cut edges once the spray foam dries and trim off the extras.

To be continued....
Automotive tire Wood Floor Flooring Tool

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Interesting idea to use the space behind the seat to push back the toliet for more room. I'll also have a seat similar to that, but as thinking of leaving that space open so I could store things behind the seat, however this might be a better idea.
I nearly didn't do that. At one point I thought about leaving enough of a gap behind that seat that I could put in a small portable air conditioner there and exhaust it out the window.

I'm really glad that I didn't, though. As it is, you already have to be basically a submariner to use this bathroom. If I hadn't reclaimed that space, the edge of the toilet would jut out about halfway into the shower pan area making it extremely difficult for even small people to move around. But, you may have more space to work with than I did.

My family came into town last weekend and my 6'4" for ~250 pound brother-in-law tried to fit in there. He got in but his shoulders are definitely wall-to-wall.

Jeans Leg Wood Floor Toy

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Got the door on. Just have to install the door latch. I picked up a low profile doorknob to keep the walkway unobstructed.

I'm a little disappointed in the door alignment. When closed, the bottom right of the door sticks out about 1/4" when the other 3 corners are almost flush. When I laid the door in the doorway without any hinges I was able to get it flush in all 4 corners, so I'm nor sure if it's because one of my hinges are a little off or just the process of hinging it into the doorframe exposes some imperfections in the geometry of it. Maybe I should just mask it with some trim around the doorway and not let perfect be the enemy of good.

Property Vehicle Mode of transport Motor vehicle Window

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,544 Posts
Yes, hide with trim! It works wonders, adding dimension and style. Do the corners too. Maybe 1/4 round around all floor places (after you lay the floor. And not on the kitchen toe-kick, if you have one.) Trim can also help on your table area, to support the bed.

Below is a pic of the corner piece on my kitchen. I used 3/4" corner pieces here and on the shower. I also included pictures of the bed/dining area trims before and after, so you can see how it makes the interior look like more than boxes. Plus it's very functional, to support the table in bed mode. I went mostly with basic straight mouldings. It matched the shaker doors and drawers, and it became "outlines" which I thought was a clean look. And I used a lot of moulding, even on my ceiling squares.

Wood Stonemason's hammer Font Tool Wood stain
Plant Wood Shelving Gas Hardwood

Product Rectangle Black Wood Architecture
Window Vehicle Rectangle Watercraft Gas

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Got the doorknob installed. From here, I just have paint and trim work. Then, just hitting all of the interior painted surfaces with waterproof spray. Velcro down the toilet. Maybe put a mirror on the wall under the light. Easy stuff.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the result. I can't believe I built a full wet bath in my van. I know a lot of people use shower curtains or those nautilis doors, but I wanted something really solid and private. If I'm playing music in the main cabin, it is noticeably quieter once you close the bathroom door.

I'll post more pictures once it's totally complete.
Wood Vehicle Flooring Gas Hardwood

Door Fixture Wood Handle Flooring

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Looks great! I love having a separate bathroom. It was great, when driving, I just pulled over, no need to find a place with a bathroom. And I put a rod for hanging clothes inside so I can use it for closet space if need be.
That's a cool idea. I wish I had room for a separate closet but oh well. Might have been an option with a 3500.

I'm surprised that so many people consider bathrooms optional, putting a toilet in a drawer or skipping it altogether. The idea of asking any guests to leave so that you can use the toilet seems weird and leaving your van to use the bathroom in the middle of the night seems like a hassle. But, that's the cool thing about DIY. You can make it to suit your priorities.

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,544 Posts
That's a cool idea. I wish I had room for a separate closet but oh well. Might have been an option with a 3500.

I'm surprised that so many people consider bathrooms optional, putting a toilet in a drawer or skipping it altogether. The idea of asking any guests to leave so that you can use the toilet seems weird and leaving your van to use the bathroom in the middle of the night seems like a hassle. But, that's the cool thing about DIY. You can make it to suit your priorities.
My feelings exactly.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Bathroom is officially done. I took a shower in there today just to test it out, and it was really great. I didn't time it, but I seemed to get a few minutes before the shower went cold, which is more than enough time to get clean. It also prevents bathers from accidentally killing my fresh water supply, which is only about 25gal between my cold water tank and water heater.

I'm really thrilled with the result and glad Lola talked me out of that mondo shower pan. It's definitely like showering in a small closet, but I'm much happier to have the additional living space.

Next up is the flooring, painting the benches and fabricating the rear dinette table/lower bunk bed.

Property Building Wood Interior design Floor

·
Registered
159" 2500 HR Window Van
98 Posts
@rjcarter3 If I'm playing music in the main cabin, it is noticeably quieter once you close the bathroom door.

Great looking result. Real fun reading the post from the beginning and watching the idea evolve and revolve until a classy functional finish.

One suggestion/thought is that such a tightly sealed bathroom will trap moisture that is out of reach of any roof top maxx fan you may have in main floor space. Maybe need to consider a small pop-up bathroom vent here?

61 - 80 of 88 Posts