Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,437 Posts
A
I g
hey thanks. That’s a solid idea. My triangular “neo angle” pan arrives at my local HD tomorrow, so I’m going to lay it out and see how it looks. If I’m not in love with it, that pan would probably be my next best option.

That 21” depth vs the 24” pan I had been looking at would make a huge difference, and your other points about the elevated shelf for the toilet are well taken. Where did you buy that one?
I got it from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/12893-Combo-...42052433&sprefix=21+shower+pan,aps,112&sr=8-3

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, here’s how it looks from the stern.

I think I should maybe build most of the width of the walls back in onto the edge of the pan, I should be able to minimize further interior space loss.

Vehicle Floor Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Ok, here’s how it looks from the stern.

I think I should maybe build most of the width of the walls back in onto the edge of the pan, I should be able to minimize further interior space loss.

View attachment 81805
Hmmmmm... I think you might like the 21x35" more. There's not much foot space when cooking, and when the bed is made up things might feel tight. The shower will grow out a bit once you have the wall construction in, depending on how you do that. Gaining 15" behind the kitchen/walkway is a lot.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hmmmmm... I think you might like the 21x35" more. There's not much foot space when cooking, and when the bed is made up things might feel tight. The shower will grow out a bit once you have the wall construction in, depending on how you do that. Gaining 15" behind the kitchen/walkway is a lot.
I see your point, but if I build the walls back onto the edge of the pan, the only additional interior space loss will be the 1/2” plywood that covers the edge of the pan down to the floor. I still haven’t really worked through how I would do the framing and interior walls, but I’m sure I can figure something out.

The thing about your pan is that it would jut out 5” from the edge of the rear bench as opposed to this which slopes back until it’s almost flush. So, I would gain more space near the countertop but lose it as you approach the rear galley.

Othe other hand, that shower pan that you have is only 100 bucks or so if I buy one that was returned to Amazon. It might be worth at least laying it on the floor and seeing what it would look like.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The other thing I almost forgot is that that rear galley is going to have a table on a boat stand that will drop down flush to the edge of the bench at night to form a full bed. With that 21” shower pan, there definitely won’t be enough room to get in that side of the bench during the day.

I wouldn’t call that a dealbreaker, but it will probably be more inconvenient than the space reduction working around the kitchen with this shower pan.

Either way I go, I think I’m going to make that bathroom exterior wall as thin as possible and build up the wall rigidity from the interior of the bathroom since I have more space to sacrifice there.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Where will the shower plumbing run? which wall will house the regulators and shower head? I had to put 2x4's against the driver's wall so there was a channel for the plumbing to run through.

If I read it right, you're turning that back area into a dining area? That's a big table, and very narrow benches. Generally, when people do that, they have bank cushions to fill in the table area. You won't have room for that with 16" deep seats. It looked like you had one of those up and down beds so I wan't sure how you intended to use the back area. Are you putting the table on a pedestal or lagun mount?

I could be very wrong about this, not fully understanding what you've got going. But here's my big concern. Your table might be too big for the kind of mount that will allow you to convert it into a bed.

I personally wouldn't mind the shower enclosure extending 5-6" beyond the bench. I like when there's little turns like that.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Where will the shower plumbing run? which wall will house the regulators and shower head? I had to put 2x4's against the driver's wall so there was a channel for the plumbing to run through.

If I read it right, you're turning that back area into a dining area? That's a big table, and very narrow benches. Generally, when people do that, they have bank cushions to fill in the table area. You won't have room for that with 16" deep seats. It looked like you had one of those up and down beds so I wan't sure how you intended to use the back area. Are you putting the table on a pedestal or lagun mount?

I could be very wrong about this, not fully understanding what you've got going. But here's my big concern. Your table might be too big for the kind of mount that will allow you to convert it into a bed.

I personally wouldn't mind the shower enclosure extending 5-6" beyond the bench. I like when there's little turns like that.
I was going to put the showerhead and fixture on the short wall facing the rear bench. The water tank is over the other wheel hump and the pump and hot water heater is housed in the bench closest to the back doors. So, the plumbing would run through those benches and straight up into that shower wall. Or, at least that’s the plan.

Yes, the table is going to be very big for that area. Then again, this bench will seat six people around the table easily, so maybe it’s not so big after all. I sort of just built the bench around the water tank and then just used the same width all around. If I had to do it again I would’ve made those benches wider.

They’re actually not that uncomfortable to sit on now though, but once you start putting cushions along the back the seat might feel a little short I suppose. Those back cushions are going to be what fills in the table area for the bed at night.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Okay. This can work. Here are my suggestions. of corse feel free to ignore them.

1. Extend the benches to 18", not by building out the boxes, but by extending the lids/a lip to the bins. You will have to build supports for that lip/extended lid, and a lip for the table to sit on in bed mode. But you could make it look very cool, and the added floor space will add to the spaciousness, and it will be a place for feet to go, kind of like under a chair. I love this idea visually. Sometimes the best ideas grow out of fixing mistakes. :)

2. The shower head, if I'm understanding correctly, goes on the short wall that touches the bench, right? You are going to need space between the bench and the shower for that to happen because the plumbing takes up space. The pex pipes have to run up, then an elbow needs to turn it to the regulators. It's a good wall choice because then the 36" wall can literally be plywood against the van wall. Maybe even just 1/4" plywood, to give you more kitchen foot space. You can use 2x4's and push the shower pan 4" toward the seats. They extend back, so you might have to build a notch i the shower wall. That's what I had to do. Here is a picture, to help explain what I mean.

3. Seat cushions: Can you go with 3" bed cushions? No more than 4" firm. Mine are 5" firm, and it's overkill. You can always get a mattress topper. Is there a bench across the back? If not, then make the seats 20" with 4" cushions.

Wood Interior design Flooring Floor Hardwood

And a finished pic of the shower jutting out from the kitchen:
Textile Automotive design Interior design Grey Floor

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

The water tank is over the passenger side wheel hump, so there’s plenty of room to run the plumbing around to the shower. And, I did leave room on top of it to get to the kitchen sink anyway. 😀

How much gap between the bench seat and the shower head wall do you think is the minimum? You said 4” or 2x4’s on the long side, which would push the pan more toward the front of the van than I was hoping. That means I’m going to have to slope that wall around that rear passenger seat even more. It’s not a huge deal, but the further I keep it toward the rear of the van the less I have to slope that wall and give myself more usable space inside the bathroom.

Thanks for your photos, but I’m a little confused as to why you did it the way you did. Did you slope out the wall toward the van sliding door? What problem did that solve for you?

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Also there is a rear bench. It’s kind of a square U-shaped booth. You can see it in the second picture I posted in this thread.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I just went out and looked at mine. I used 2x3" studs for the shower, not 2x4. 2x3 is closer to 2x2.5. Will that work? Maybe you can get away with 2x2's. Maybe buy your regulators and shower arm, the pex and the elbow and see is you can angle it to work.

I didn't slope the wall. That will look odd. I built straight up from the floor, and where the seat started to break the plane, I built out a few inches, then continued up. Does that make sense? Tomorrow when there's light I can take pics for you.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I just went out and looked at mine. I used 2x3" studs for the shower, not 2x4. 2x3 is closer to 2x2.5. Will that work? Maybe you can get away with 2x2's. Maybe buy your regulators and shower arm, the pex and the elbow and see is you can angle it to work.

I didn't slope the wall. That will look odd. I built straight up from the floor, and where the seat started to break the plane, I built out a few inches, then continued up. Does that make sense? Tomorrow when there's light I can take pics for you.
Oh, I think it was an optical illusion. You have a black towel hanging from a hook which made it look like the wall was sloping back in. Definitely interested to see some more of your pictures when you get the chance.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
rjcarter3 do you mind posting a photo of the space between the drivers seat and the rear dinette seats? Trying to gauge space for my next build out as I already have a similar seat and seeing if I can fit a storage space between the shower and rear bed. Also, how wide are the rear beds? I assume a standard 159?

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
rjcarter3 do you mind posting a photo of the space between the drivers seat and the rear dinette seats? Trying to gauge space for my next build out as I already have a similar seat and seeing if I can fit a storage space between the shower and rear bed. Also, how wide are the rear beds? I assume a standard 159?
Can you be more specific? You want me to show you a picture from say outside the sider facing in to show the cab seats and rear passenger seats? My build will have dinettes in both the bow and stern, so it gets confusing. 😛🤙

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Here’s an earlier photo for what I think you’re asking. At some point I’m going have a narrow removable table that’ll go in that front dinette area.

I’ll have 2 full size beds in the rear. One is on sliders that retracts to the ceiling during the day. That one I had to make a little short since the van narrows a little bit toward the ceiling.

The other is the square-U lounge that’ll have a table that drops down into the middle at night to convert into another full bed. That one is full size in both directions.

This is a standard 159 high roof.

Vehicle Window Wood Motor vehicle Gas

Here’s a shot from the front so you can see the beds in the rear.

Interior design Television set Plant Air travel Automotive design

21 - 40 of 88 Posts