Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a hole under the seat.
hole under seat.jpg

So I thought I would fill it in with a barking heater.
Barker heater.jpg

If you look at the hole you can see the exhaust pipe in between the heat shield and the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Found a hole under the seat.
hole under seat.jpg

So I thought I would fill it in with a barking heater.
Barker heater.jpg

If you look at the hole you can see the exhaust pipe in between the heat shield and the frame.
Ive googled Barking Heater and after 3 pages, i cant find what youve shown here.
Can you tell us what it is, what's its purpose, does it meet your expectations, cost,and ease of installation?
Thank you

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
A china “equivalent" of an Espar or Wabasto heater. They run on diesel (or gasoline) and draw fuel from the extra tap in the fuel tank to heat the interior of the van when “parking” or barking.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hmmmmmmm ok thanks.... a heater that runs off the fuel tank for heating with the motor off.
Are they hard to install? Whats the price range on these? I sure could use one of these instead of idiling (which Ive read is bad for the gasser).
Thanks

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parking heater (Barking heater)

It's a Parking heater altered, with a marks-a-lot just had to mark it, from Ali express about $435 shipped no options. I'll post more pic's and my install notes when done. I'm in no hurry. How hard is it that depends on what you consider to be hard. I consider it a challenge. Since it has be done before and noted on this forum, I knew that it was possible. I'm going to have to speed things up here in central Tx the temp is 31degrees this morning.

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
I have installed a similiar Espar diesel heater in my van. It took an afternoon, required two holes about 1-1/4 inch in the floor, two other small drilled holes, mount a pump under the floor, run fuel line from the tank to the pump, install their wire harness, connect power to a switched and fused circuit in my van’s house wiring, install an inlet and exhaust pipe under the van. On a scale of 1-10 where one is change a bulb and 10 is overhaul an engine its about a 2.5. See:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240625&postcount=55

And here is a thread on help for the task:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54465

·
Registered
72 Posts
With precip in the forecast and temps falling, winter is finally in the forecast here in Idaho. As such I'm feeling the need to jump this project to the front of the queue. If you've yet had a chance to sort it out, can you say how complete is the kit?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The kit is complete except for the fuel connection to the quick connect on the van. Make sure it comes with the optional mounting plate most do. Options are muffler, intake filter and 10L fuel tank if needed. If you install in the cargo area on the flat floor it should be very easy as RD said.
My (P)Barking diesel heater install, under passenger seat. Mock-up for the heater I used a 12pack cola carton cut down to a 10 pack. This is almost the exact size of the heater. You need to leave room on the both sides (3/4") and top (1.25") and any duct work. The placement for my heater is close to the side rail under the floor and between the heat shield. If I moved it to the middle my exhaust and intake pipes would have to be extended as is mine are 28" and just extend out between the slider and front passenger door. The catalyst may have to be removed if the heater is moved to the center and there is a wire bundle under there. Laying on the ground and removing things is not something I like. I made a large oblong hole, so I could attach the exhaust, intake pipes and fuel pump to the heater and drop in through the hole, like a sink install. Since the floor under the seat angles about 1/2" to the back, I needed to make a tapered gasket from cork and RTV. This left little room for the exhaust pipe clamp. In the middle you could hammer a flat spot for a clean 7 hole install but being close to the side rail their was no give to the metal and I had to build up to compensate. Hope this helps. Plan 2 weeks from china my delivery came in 10 days. Take a look at the VVKB comes with a length of duct work but their exhaust pipe is short and made for a muffler install. They have a US address and Phone but so can anybody. Their product comes from china. Some photos from my install they should be labeled just click on them.
https://goo.gl/photos/14Sk8enc8yHmfgKV8
With precip in the forecast and temps falling, winter is finally in the forecast here in Idaho. As such I'm feeling the need to jump this project to the front of the queue. If you've yet had a chance to sort it out, can you say how complete is the kit?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a cozy dog by the fireplace now.

The (P) Barking heater is installed and working under the passenger seat. I did not remove the catalyst. The catalyst makes this install a pain. Trying to install the fuel pump and priming was a challenge. It's up high where hands don't fit .

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My heater works just fine. I did have one glitch when it got down to 22 and I believe that to be from air in the line. It corrected it's self without input from me. When putting the quick connect on I noticed air in the fuel filter yesterday. My heater, I believe they used a rubber based gasket and it out gassed burnt rubber smell for a week when in use. I ran it every day the first week with window open, it does not smell now. My co meter still reads zero so no co leak. The Dorman quick connects do work 800-123 or (MsNomer's) 800-081. I did see the 081 but did not have one in hand to recommend, but it may be better, your choice. Is it as good as the name brand heaters I don't have one to compare too.

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
If you continue to have good luck that diesel heater is on Alibaba for a bit under $400 and that could be a bargain for a diesel heater. My Espar was about twice that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My heater works just fine. I did have one glitch when it got down to 22 and I believe that to be from air in the line. It corrected it's self without input from me. When putting the quick connect on I noticed air in the fuel filter yesterday. My heater, I believe they used a rubber based gasket and it out gassed burnt rubber smell for a week when in use. I ran it every day the first week with window open, it does not smell now. My co meter still reads zero so no co leak. The Dorman quick connects do work 800-123 or (MsNomer's) 800-081. I did see the 081 but did not have one in hand to recommend, but it may be better, your choice. Is it as good as the name brand heaters I don't have one to compare too.

I know its warm out now but I was wonder how your heater has been holding up? id like to put one in my van in the next month or 2 before winter. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know its warm out now but I was wonder how your heater has been holding up? id like to put one in my van in the next month or 2 before winter. Thanks in advance!
One heating season and still working. I was on Genesee Mountain 2 weeks ago and demoed it and just turned it on today for you, did you feel that blast of heat, laser on the heat exchanger was 350 degrees.

·
Registered
460 Posts
One heating season and still working. I was on Genesee Mountain 2 weeks ago and demoed it and just turned it on today for you, did you feel that blast of heat, laser on the heat exchanger was 350 degrees.

Thanks!!! I'm still debating weather to spend the extra money on the wabasto or not. saving over $500 sure does sound good. Thanks again im glad its working well for you!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I and 3 of my friends bought the gasoline versions of this heater. They all worked for about 10 hours then coked up beyond belief and would not work. I took mine apart several times and cleaned it out and it would run for a few hours then stop running. I bought it because of the barking heater thread here. Me and the 3 friends are all in colorado, so its possible that there is an elevation issue, we are at 5,000' There is no altitude adjustment on these like there is on webasto/eberspacher.

My advice: DO NOT BUY.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts