Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been heading to Florida the last couple of years to escape the too cold (for me) winter weather here in Kentucky. This winter (January 2017) I'm off to the southwest and plan to spend about a month of my three month trip exploring the Baja Peninsula. The plan (that is very flexible) is to cross into Mexico around January 23 at the Lukeville, Arizona crossing after spending a few days checking out the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument area. Anyone want to make it a little convoy? All or part, and the start date is flexible.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Steve, as you know I will be away, please stop on your way back up into the US. If you get an other van we can all meet up. Perhaps KOV will be out west by then, as he seems to like getting out of the snow and stopped last year. For anyone thinking of this, Baja will be a blast, friends of ours who have gone down rave about it and the Mexican Peso is down to 20 per dollar, so not much money will be needed.
If anyone goes I would appreciate a report of whether Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel is available all the way. Look for "UBA" or "bajo azufre ultra” on the PEMEX diesel pump.
Lastly I applaud this post for the offer to share a trip with another van.

·
Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
Steve, I'm planning a trip to the SouthWest in January but I still don't know when I can leave due to family commitments. Hopefully before the end of January. When and if I do the wife and I have been taking about a Baja tour so if things work out in the next few weeks who knows?

·
Registered
61 Posts
with all the talk of a wall, things are heating up a little bit, you might not want to cross over. To sail around is alot different than driving through.
moderator if this is to touchy please delete, no worries.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Here in AZ we have been in the frontera a few times recently and all is quiet and not as political as north of the border. The locals I have talked to there, just feel Mexico is hurting with imported goods skyrocketing (the Peso is now $.05- a nickel!) down about 50% so USD are valuable. Mexicans are just as welcoming and friendly and as helpful as always as far as we can tell. I am not hesitating at all, San Diego may be different. I have to go to Phoenix today and friends are going to Mexico, trust me they are going to have a more enjoyable time than I am.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
with all the talk of a wall, things are heating up a little bit, you might not want to cross over.

Everyone has their own way of assessing risk and I'm very comfortable with traveling in Baja. Plan to cross just after the Donald takes over, after spending some time around Quartzsite. Will do a trip report on the Baja portion of my current trip.

seguro de viaje

·
Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
There are a lot of things I worry about politically but as this is a Promaster van forum not a political forum I won't express them here.

I would have no problem traveling in Mexico at anytime under any administration however.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
There may be some reason to be concerned. About the availability of fuel. We are seeing insufficient gas and diesel supplies in Mexico just recently. It is hard to say how long they might last. Nieto the Mexican President is trying to reform the state run fuel monopoly and introduce other players in the supply. Protest following large price increases at a bad time due to the inflation and devaluation of currency have shut down deliveries. It threatens tourists along with much else. Word is, it mainly in the northern border states of Mexico and some friends ran into problems yesterday. Interesting that some big rig truckers let them get 20 liters because they were tourists and their plight was obvious. That shows how great the locals there are. Check the news before commiting or you may wait on long lines and have to stay still until fuel arrives.

Reactions: Steve

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. I was aware, and have been watching, but have almost two weeks before I cross into Baja. Unless things get a whole lot worse, I'm pushing on. No pain, no gain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Absolutely loved Steve's Baja posts in his Baja thread from a couple of years ago! We just finished our Hwy 1 / 101 trip from Canada to Mexico and are getting ready to head into Baja and beyond! Anyone planning on being in Baja or Mainland Mexico in the next few months?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts