Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read somewhere here that if you purchase your vehicle after the recall notice goes viral, your vehicle should have the recall issue fixed... which is exactly what i was hoping. sadly, today in the mail Chrysler sent me two letters informing me that my van has two recalls: gas pedal and the brake lines. Little by little, I'm becoming hesitant about this van. Every car has issues, but this van is starting to seem like a big headache:squeaky breaks, even louder rear bushings, changing engines at 5K miles, transmission failure at 6k miles, jerking while changing gears, etc... kind of hesitant to even drive mine anymore

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
i read somewhere here that if you purchase your vehicle after the recall notice goes viral, your vehicle should have the recall issue fixed... which is exactly what i was hoping. sadly, today in the mail Chrysler sent me two letters informing me that my van has two recalls: gas pedal and the brake lines. Little by little, I'm becoming hesitant about this van. Every car has issues, but this van is starting to seem like a big headache:squeaky breaks, even louder rear bushings, changing engines at 5K miles, transmission failure at 6k miles, jerking while changing gears, etc... kind of hesitant to even drive mine anymore
Don't know about the brake lines, but the gas pedal recall is a a bit paranoid. Frankly, I really don't see how the gas pedal could get stuck on that plastic guismo.

For the squeaking brakes, I think it's a normal glitch, it seams that the newer ones are not affected. My brakes squeaks, but I don't worry, it's under warranty, I'll get it fix when I go home (if I ever do go home:) )

Suspension bushing noise? Bad batch, we don't hear about it anymore (and mine stopped squeaking)

Motor and transmission problems? It is very unfortunate for the guys who had the problems, but there are probably more than a million Pentastar motors out there since 2012, so if it was a piece of s***t we would know.

And let's not forget that most PM owners that are completely satisfied won't write a post saying "every thing is fine, just wanted to say hello". They would be moderated ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Internet sites always concentrate all the complaints and satisfied owners are severely underrepresented. And they are ALL like that. Doesn't matter what vehicle.

Engine failure ... saw that one but ONLY that one. Every complicated mass production system produces an occasional dud. Very unlikely that this would happen to any given person. The Pentastar engine has been produced in huge quantities and from all I can tell, is pretty good. I don't recall reading about the transmission failure, but surely that is also an isolated case. As far as the way the transmission changes gear ... it is what it is. The 62TE inherently has oddly spaced gears and there is one gearchange that internally requires two simultaneous actions inside the transmission, because of the way it is designed. "It is what it is." If the two actions aren't quite simultaneous, it might do that shift with a bump. So what. It's not going to blow up because the 2-3 shift is a little rough once in a while. Yes, there are some people who can't deal with things like this.

Recalls are a fact of life nowadays; the auto industry, collectively, is paranoid. Non-issue.

I haven't taken delivery of mine yet (Wednesday!!) but I'm unlikely to be one who complains about brakes that squeak a bit, even if it does happen.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree no vehicle is perfect. Being about six weeks from owning a PM, I hope these major failures are isolated incidents. I won't sweat some minor noises. It's a truck. I just got my 2010 MB Sprinter (76,xxx miles, company truck) back from the dealer. They were trying for the third time this year to figure out why it keeps burning out the #6 glow plug. They replaced the glow plug again and the control module this time. The next day the check engine and glow plug light were on once again. This truck has also had the DEF sending unit/pump and the EGR and AGR valves replaced in the last year. At this point it's still under the emissions warranty. If this keeps up once it's out of warranty, we won't be keeping it around. You can't save enough in blue efficiency to pay for this frequent of repairs. Taking the Sprinter in for service involves 3 hours on the road, round trip, as there are only 3 franchise dealers in Wisconsin. They don't offer anything (not even a car) for a loaner, so I always have to wait for the repairs. Nothing as rewarding as spending most of the day in a MB waiting room only to have the check engine light go back on on the trip back home. Even if the PM has as many problems as my Sprinter, at least the dealer is only 10 miles away.

·
Registered
399 Posts
More concerned with people being told they have to wait 2 months for an engine. I don't think their sales are so strong they can't allocate a few for parts.

On the other hand sounds like it could be a good case for buyback depending on the State.

The California Lemon Law states ... if a vehicle spends a cumulative total of over 30 days in the shop for warranty repairs, it may satisfy the requirement no matter how many separate visits were made.

·
Registered
886 Posts
More concerned with people being told they have to wait 2 months for an engine.
I agree. I expect car forums to be full of people posting problems. All car forums!

But waiting on parts in unacceptable. Warranty parts should take priority over new builds.

If it were mine, I'd take to twitter to blast @ramtrucks and get action ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
If you want to hear some bad news, here's one.

The computer I bought to replace the two stolen ones stopped working 2 days after the 14 days warranty from Staples.

Now I have to deal directly with HP. Since I don't have a phone I have to do it on a public phone that is located outside in a very loud place.

The service guy is probably located somewhere in Bombay, SO WE HAVE TO YELL ALL THE TIME AND NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ANYTHING BECAUSE OF STRANGE ACCENTS ON BOTH SIDES.

Written on my wife's laptop

·
Registered
259 Posts

Interesting, I've had NONE of those problems so far. The only worry is the sliding door not opening issue. After an adjustment to the catch it is still opening but I am worried it will worsen, seems a bad design. Otherwise I love the height inside (high roof 6' 4"), the high seating (can see over most traffic), the great gas mileage for a vehicle this size combined with decent power and, I even like the looks, glad I got the deep red. Oh, and the great turning ratio for such a long vehicle (159 wb.) I think they're working out the kinks and mine was manufactured late enough not to have those initial problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No Complaints

My breaks squeaked for a couple of hundred miles and only intermittently. They don't anymore. I received my Pro on December 30th, 2013 and have over 12000 miles on it. The biggest problem I have had so far is that both my key fobs stopped working remotely. Apparently it was a transmitting problem the dealer finally figured how to reset. Other then that no problems at all and I love how the Pro handles; great pickup, braking, shifting and turning.

I also just bought a 2014 short wheelbase Ford Transit connect wagon as my personal vehicle and I think the Promaster handles just as well as this much smaller vehicle.

I pulled alongside a guy in a brand new Sprinter a few days ago and it was the same color as my Pro (deep Cherry Red). He said he hated the Sprinter and was trading it in for the Promaster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree no vehicle is perfect. Being about six weeks from owning a PM, I hope these major failures are isolated incidents. I won't sweat some minor noises. It's a truck. I just got my 2010 MB Sprinter (76,xxx miles, company truck) back from the dealer. They were trying for the third time this year to figure out why it keeps burning out the #6 glow plug. They replaced the glow plug again and the control module this time. The next day the check engine and glow plug light were on once again. This truck has also had the DEF sending unit/pump and the EGR and AGR valves replaced in the last year. At this point it's still under the emissions warranty. If this keeps up once it's out of warranty, we won't be keeping it around. You can't save enough in blue efficiency to pay for this frequent of repairs. Taking the Sprinter in for service involves 3 hours on the road, round trip, as there are only 3 franchise dealers in Wisconsin. They don't offer anything (not even a car) for a loaner, so I always have to wait for the repairs. Nothing as rewarding as spending most of the day in a MB waiting room only to have the check engine light go back on on the trip back home. Even if the PM has as many problems as my Sprinter, at least the dealer is only 10 miles away.
oh man... i can tell you a lot about sprinters since I/ my family owned 4 :) they are ****!!!! the last one that i owned was a 2008, i traded it for my promaster... should have done that as soon as the promaster came out, why?? last year, i put in a new transmission, along with that i invested 6K into repairs at the mechanic thats not including all the repairs i did myself since i am very handy with cars. this year, i replaced the transmission again, in 5 months i spent 6K again for more repairs... the day before i was supposed to trade the sprinter in for the promaster, my check engine light comes on, we scanned it and roughly i was looking at 3K of more repairs. both intake manifolds had to be replaced, turbo, egr valve, and there was one more thing... yeah... the sprinter was a money pit that never ends... my mechanic does a lot of fleet and commercial contracts... he told me that the sprinter has by far the most codes on the computer.... get rid of the sprinter and move on my friend... save yourself the money and the headache

1 - 16 of 16 Posts