Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had their knock sensor go out? It is in a really bad place to change a 16.00 part! Is it from a coolant leak on it or from rain water getting on engine? Any help appreciated. Thanks Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Has anyone else had their knock sensor go out? It is in a really bad place to change a 16.00 part! Is it from a coolant leak on it or from rain water getting on engine? Any help appreciated. Thanks Bruce
Just curious, where is the part? Any pictures of its location? (Sorry I don't have an answer for you.)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
You may be the first to post about knock sensors.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is where they are located and you have to pull the intake manifolds to get to them but as noted in that video you want to make sure not to get the antifreeze in the oil and visa versa. Just wondering if that is the area for the mysterious coolant smell we are all getting that Chrysler can’t find. That the steam from the coolant is taking out the sensor, that is not cover by the power train or emissions warranty and the intake manifold may have to be cut off because of the cowling leak onto the engine. Thanks Bruce

·
Registered
977 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the knock sensors cant get contaminated from coolant. And coolant is unlikely to be where they are because if it was, it would be showing up in your oil.

The more likely source of a knock sensor problem is the wiring to the sensor. I have had 3 instances now of rodents chewing on the wiring, causing problems.

Because the wiring for the sensors exits under the intake manifold at the bellhousing side of the engine, it is possible to test the wiring there for signal. A competent tech should be able to do this easily with a scope. Worth the money in diagnostic to know if you need to take the intake off or not.

In 2014 when the van was released, many of us had a warranty cooling loss/smell issue, which was the radiator itself weeping at the passenger side of the core support. This problem was solved with new radiators, and I havent had a problem since.

I do, however, lose coolant slowly on both my vans. Cannot for the life
of me figure out where it’s going. There is some smell, but not much. And I’ve chosen just to keep topping
It up rather than find and fix it.

Reactions: travelvanvan
1 - 6 of 6 Posts