Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve seen some builds on the site with various types of back splash, i’ve asked my builder to leave the backsplash area painted plywood in lieu of shiplap like the rest of the walls/ceiling. worst case scenario i paint it some jazzy color /stencil it with highly washable paint, but i was thinking of a sheet of stainless by the sink or behind where id put my portable induction/ propane stove. anyone with a stainless backsplash regret it? i see some builds with tile ( real) and i just don’t like tile that much, plus the weight and work involved how has it held up to the abuse of driving? . has anyone had good luck with peel and stick or wall paper( removable, pre pasted). or found another option that can handle the food/water splatter snd heat?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Predrilled stainless backsplash panels are super easy to install and clean, removable, and tough as nails. If you can't tolerate the commercial kitchen look, there are stainless "tile" sheet backsplashes that are quite stylish.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I used real tile, small subway style about 1.5" x 3.5". I adhered it to plywood with a gorilla construction adhesive that stays flexible. I grouted it with siliconized grout that also stays flexible. 25K miles so far and no issues. I would do it again.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,336 Posts
I’ve seen some builds on the site with various types of back splash, i’ve asked my builder to leave the backsplash area painted plywood in lieu of shiplap like the rest of the walls/ceiling. worst case scenario i paint it some jazzy color /stencil it with highly washable paint, but i was thinking of a sheet of stainless by the sink or behind where id put my portable induction/ propane stove. anyone with a stainless backsplash regret it? i see some builds with tile ( real) and i just don’t like tile that much, plus the weight and work involved how has it held up to the abuse of driving? . has anyone had good luck with peel and stick or wall paper( removable, pre pasted). or found another option that can handle the food/water splatter snd heat?
I did tile -- hand made mexican tile from etsy. I set in with silicone and it lived through driving, a cold winter and a hot summer without any problems. I wanted the black and white family, but they have like 20 really cool tiles. I don't know what you style is, and I get that you hate tile, so you might also hate this. It's not the normal tile choice.

Botany Rectangle Blue Textile Organism

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I put peel and stick around my bed. @MsNomer warned me that it would shrink and grow with heat and cold. So I framed it with wood and secured it with tiny screws in the corners. I can see that it would have been a mess if I hadn't done that(at the seams, it's not sticking securely). (I also framed the tile backsplash with wood, using a router so the wood covers 1/4" of the tile.)
Door Wood Rectangle Building Flooring

Plant Property Flowerpot Houseplant Building

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Predrilled stainless backsplash panels are super easy to install and clean, removable, and tough as nails. If you can't tolerate the commercial kitchen look, there are stainless "tile" sheet backsplashes that are quite stylish.
i this something a kitchen or restaurant supply place would have in various sizes? Amazon had fixed sizes for domestic stoves/ranges a i’ve seen the metal tiles online, they’re on my short list, but only for a portion of the wall not the whole thing.
I did tile -- hand made mexican tile from etsy. I set in with silicone and it lived through driving, a cold winter and a hot summer without any problems. I wanted the black and white family, but they have like 20 really cool tiles. I don't know what you style is, and I get that you hate tile, so you might also hate this. It's not the normal tile choice.

View attachment 86914
I like talaveras pottery and tile but the colors are no quite right. Hate tile was perhaps harsh, I specifically hate subway tile all of it! and shiny tile, my bathroom at home is large format matte porcelain carrera style and i love it, but the bathrooms theme was classic spa cause i’m never ever ever doing it again and resale value was my goal. The van theme is rustic cabin/ farmhouse meets boho. so the walls will be off white, the floor and ceilings and butcher block a medium oak/walnut. the fridge/ sink and fixtures stainless steel but i’m thinking leather drawer pulls and bench cushion. the upper cabinets (shaker or plain front) will be off white and the lowers a medium olive green. olive green is my favorite color and so on trend now plus any surface inside the slider that below counter top level is going to get kicked/ beat up, dirty etc. i’ve got the cutest fabric for the insulated window covers i’m making for all of the windows except the front windshield( i have an RV style set for the cab) . . i have picked up samples of 3d wall paper that looks like brick and cobblestone for inside the bed/headboard and backsplash area but also was seriously considering stenciling a pattern or faux finish. having to work around any utilities and fixtures on the van wall is also a consideration. i think a small area of stainless behind the sink or stove wouldn’t make it look overly industrial but it would make me want to counter balance the rest back to rustic, farmhouse or boho with something. I know way too much detail, but i live for this part of the build.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put peel and stick around my bed. @MsNomer warned me that it would shrink and grow with heat and cold. So I framed it with wood and secured it with tiny screws in the corners. I can see that it would have been a mess if I hadn't done that(at the seams, it's not sticking securely). (I also framed the tile backsplash with wood, using a router so the wood covers 1/4" of the tile.)
View attachment 86917
View attachment 86916
. BTW love your black and white theme. i’m having a mini stroke picturing glass and open shelving in a moving vehicle but it’s GORGEOUS! and so modern ![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
. BTW love your black and white theme. i’m having a mini stroke picturing glass and open shelving in a moving vehicle but it’s GORGEOUS! and so modern !
[/QUOTE]
It’s not glass(if you mean the jars.) They’re plastic and very light. The shelves were built around the jars so they are pretty secure.

I love your ideas! How about a tin backsplash? It comes in lots of different finishes. Stainless might be too industrial.
Product Rectangle Font Material property Pattern

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s not glass(if you mean the jars.) They’re plastic and very light. The shelves were built around the jars so they are pretty secure.

I love your ideas! How about a tin backsplash? It comes in lots of different finishes. Stainless might be too industrial. View attachment 86932
[/QUOTE]
I wonder if the dark copper would clash with the stainless although with the leather and olive green 🤔 now you’ve got me thinking. tin however is not bombproof like stainless. ill take a look on the site maybe they coat it with something for backsplashes. the crap at HD and lowes is plastic or a rust bucket.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

I love your ideas! How about a tin backsplash? It comes in lots of different finishes. Stainless might be too industrial. View attachment 86932
I wonder if the dark copper would clash with the stainless although with the leather and olive green 🤔 now you’ve got me thinking. tin however is not bombproof like stainless. ill take a look on the site maybe they coat it with something for backsplashes. the crap at HD and lowes is plastic or a rust bucket.
[/QUOTE]
It's not their ceiling tiles, it's specifically listed as backsplash, so I imagine it's treated or something, but definitely find out. The tiles are 24"x24" and really nice quality, nothing like lowes or home depot. I put their tile on my ceiling.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
716 Posts
How about a piece of clear acrylic either painted on the backside, or put over a stencil or wallpaper? Wipes clean nicely, just don’t use a scrubby.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m picturing food crud getting stuck in the little grooves on the tin. Great on the ceiling, though.
yeah as i looked at the site( it is coated/sealed with a protectant BTW ) but the same thought crossed my mind, that’s why i didn’t want white shiplap, and was leaning toward a stainless panel and jazzy wallpaper. But with the pattern and a deeper copper/bronze color who would ever know or see the dirt?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
With my tile and the kind of cooking I do in a van (with a 500w hotplate, insta-pot and 1000w air fryer), the tile hasn't even gotten grease splatters. So I don't think a tin backsplash (depending on the pattern) would be any more of a food-trap than tile with grout -- actually less, because grout is a cleaning mess.

That said, my personal inclinations always go for aesthetics. But it's all a personal choice. I feel like when you only have 600 or so cubic feet (did I do the math right??) of living space, you have to mold it to fit who you are, what you need to happily survive in the space. An adventure person definitely would make different choices than a tiny house person, and there are so many who fit between those to extremes. No choice is ever wrong, if it amplifies who you are and what will make your vanlife work for you.

I like having a lot of different details to look at because that expands the space, and for me, mostly, I will be spending a lot of time in the van working. So it needs basically to be a work of art. That's not what most want from their van, so my suggestions definitely lean toward the tiny house dweller-work of art van person, so take my suggestions with that grain of salt!

I do think the first thing anyone doing this should be clear on is what's important to them, then make choices that amplify that.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
2,080 Posts
We have stainless behind the cook top, fake stick on tile above that. Love the stainless, the stick on tile is not sticking as well as we would like.

Reactions: CarKeys

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,270 Posts
Well said, Lola.
I like having a lot of different details to look at because that expands the space,
This comment pulled me up short because I have vigorously resisted my natural tendency to add visual detail—vignettes, as I call them. Then I remembered that my visual detail is what's outside the window.

Back to the subject, I’ve always thought a protected map would be a nice backsplash.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Well said, Lola.

This comment pulled me up short because I have vigorously resisted my natural tendency to add visual detail—vignettes, as I call them. Then I remembered that my visual detail is what's outside the window.

Back to the subject, I’ve always thought a protected map would be a nice backsplash.
And your Dance like no one is watching -- it inspired me in a million ways.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts