Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the ridiculous brick looking piece off and modified it so that the camera sees the trailer hitch ball at the very bottom and not the whole **** door...its a stupid little mod but now i can see everything behind me....i also got rid of the red running light and replaced it with a white floodlight of the same size, that is wired into the reverse lights via relay as its pretty bright...much nicer for backing, as everywhere i park this thing is pretty dark and pretty tight...pics soon

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
Thanks this is a definite improvement I bet I'm ready to try it as soon as I see your photos!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

this is what it looks like, its a 25 watt halogen driving light...

i'll take a pic of the monitor while i'm on the road so you can see the modified view...its nice, i can see the dog catcher coming now

·
Registered
654 Posts
Very trick. I think when I get mine, I will get the Euro third brake like, and replace the two running lights flanking the backup camera with a flood light of sorts.

Would be cool to have a dual LED, that is red when driving with lights on, and white in reverse.

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
I'm a little confused! Did removing the red light and putting a smaller profile white Back up light make the camera view better? Or, did you also do something to the camera mount?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not sure what your camera view is like as i lowered my van the day i bought it which didnt allow for much "rear" view, ...but i wanted to change the angle of the camera AND change the red light for a bright white one, which is why i did this mod...so in answer to your question, yes, the bright light is great for backing and the revised camera angle is awesome cuz now i can see the horizon behind me

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all i need to see, of the van, is the trailer hitch, in this case its where i moved my tag to...i pull it out and replace it with a hitch when towing...
there are two was you can change the camera angle...i think i chose the more difficult...
1-i shaved the top of the housing off, about 1" worth, but once you do that you have to mod the whole supporting structure inside...its just alot of grinding and cutting...a pain in the ass really...
2-the other way is to cut the camera "square" (the plastic square where the camera is mounted), on three sides, which would allow you to push down on it and change the angle of the camera...once you find the angle you want you could merely epoxy or glue it in place

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the way i did it is a pain in the ass...i think slicing three sides of the plastic around the camera, and pushing it down, then gluing it in place would be easier

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
My only complaint is the bottom quarter of the monitor just shows the top of the doors - a total waste as far as I'm conserned. I may try the mod after my conversion is done but for now I'm awfully busy building the cabinets.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats the bottom of the doors and i think ANY of the doors is a waste...can someone post a screenshot of the factory view?

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
Here is a screen shot of my factory back up camera. Notice the bottom quarter of the screen just shows the tops of the rear doors. It is the tops, I had my wife stand there and put her hand on it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts