Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am thinking of going with this combo for the back up camera and monitor. Any thoughts or reasons why this ins't a good idea?

This for the camera:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Dodge-...ash=item41d674e7d3:g:grQAAOSwNchaMJr8&vxp=mtr

These options for the display:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Touchscreen-DCO-Waterproof-Nightvision/dp/B077TLKMD7/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513705973&sr=8-3&keywords=pioneer+double+din+back+up+camera[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-X490BS-Touchscreen-Bluetooth-SiriusXM-Ready/dp/B0711NDTJ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513706048&sr=8-4&keywords=pioneer+double+din+back+up+camera[/ame]

They come with cameras, but I will have a bike rack or trailer on some times and don't know how well I will be able to see. I assume I can get some sort of conversion cable to make the camera play nice with the rca video input cable?

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,069 Posts
Hello,

I am thinking of going with this combo for the back up camera and monitor. Any thoughts or reasons why this ins't a good idea?

[snip]. I assume I can get some sort of conversion cable to make the camera play nice with the rca video input cable?

Without addressing that specific camera, that sort of assumption of conversion and compatibility has lead me to much suffering from time to time. I wouldn't commit to a solution until I had an end-to-end parts list.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like you can buy a 4 pin to RCA video conversion cable easily.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
With the cabling issued settled, I'd look at a smarter radio. If Santa thinks I've been good, I'm getting a radio that replaced my U5 setup and includes Android Auto and ties into the van computer. Details of a successful install like there are here

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=524146

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thom,

Thank you for the link and reply. So is the Kenwood what is allowing all the car data stats like psi, trip mileage etc. or is that the Maestro? The Kenwood player seems pricey to me considering I am happy with my old Pioneer 270bt. $600 is just a lot for the setup.

Also I have a base model, so would I still gain all the features if I didn't have a Uconnect to start with?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone know if the Mirrorlink from this will work with a base model Promaster to display vehicle data?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SPH-DA120-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Smartphone/dp/B00O8B7CFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513724959&sr=1-1&keywords=pioneer+mirrorlink[/ame]

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The vehicle integration requires the Maestro and a iDataLink compatible radio. Search Crutchfield for iDataLink for a list. If you have a base model radio, you might not have the right connectors in the dash.

MirrorLink is a tech to integrate your phone with the radio. It is a dated technology, so I would not spend anything on it.

Given your budget and base radio, your initial ideas look good. I'd buy it from Amazon or Crutchfield, unless you know that other vendor is solid.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Crutchfield said the idatalink should work even without the Uconnect system.

The more I look though, I can't seem to find any documentation saying that is true. Can anyone confirm they have installed idatalink into the base model Promaster Cargo?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called idatalink. Asked if I could install a Maestro and he said it would be fine with a 3.0, but I think he meant a Uconnect. I still don't have any confirmation about if I can use idatalink with a base van.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If Crutchfield said it would work, that's a pretty strong endorsement. They have a strong return policy, so just open everything one step at a time.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I bought from Crutchfield and have a Uconnect 3.0. Their chart is a bit ambiguous on this score. I bought thinking I could add on a steering wheel audio control. Tried to buy one from a Mopar parts seller and they said it wouldn't work based on my VIN indicated I didn't have this option. I kept the Maestro and never got around to returning it. Now that I know there are other functions aside from steering wheel audio controls, I'm tempted to try putting it in.

Does anyone know if you can get A Uconnect 3.0 with the steering wheel audio option? Or more importantly, was the parts dealer blowing smoke, and it's possible to add on a steering wheel audio control? Thought that there might be an additional wiring harness or dealer programming I might need so I gave up.

P.S. I notice on the Maestro web site that if you go through their compatibility wizard, they show a picture of a steering wheel with audio controls if you select Uconnect 3 as your radio. If you don't choose it they show a question mark for compatibility.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Crutchfield said the idatalink should work even without the Uconnect system.

The more I look though, I can't seem to find any documentation saying that is true. Can anyone confirm they have installed idatalink into the base model Promaster Cargo?
Santa brought me a new radio setup , so I've gone through a few of the prep steps. On the Maestro site the only compatibility options for the 3.0/RA1 and 5.0/RA2 radios. If you have something more basic than that you are into uncharted territory.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Santa brought me a new radio setup , so I've gone through a few of the prep steps. On the Maestro site the only compatibility options for the 3.0/RA1 and 5.0/RA2 radios. If you have something more basic than that you into uncharted territory.
Yes, my post above was incorrect and I actually have a "Uconnect RH3" which is the base single DIN radio and not the Uconnect 3.0/RA1 which is a double DIN radio that's less fancy than the Uconnect 5.0/RA2. I don't think they sold many of those.

I don't have an Maestro interface unit either, just some other Metra Axxess steering wheel interface. It doesn't look like you can get an RH3 with steering wheel controls at all. I've looked a little at adding on the steering wheel controls or buying a used steering wheel with them on and trying to retrofit any wiring harnesses I'm missing. This is all uncharted territory and may require reprogramming of one of the computers like the Body Control Module.

All I really wanted was a steering wheel control that isn't an ugly strap-on wireless doohickey. If it worked, the vehicle info from the Maestro would certainly be a bonus. Now I'm leaning toward the following wired stalk style steering wheel control which is less expensive and more of a sure-thing.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XYF6X0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2N7C2ORZDVY1W&colid=RFDT275WOMLE&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So Crutchfield, idatalink, and my local installer have all stated that the idatalink will work with my RH3 stereo. I personally think they are all just thinking I have a Uconnect radio. That being said I have bought a Pioneer 1300nex and a Maestro RR. I also installed a third light back up camera. I am just waiting for the idatalink CH3 harness to get in. My installer guy said the maestro just plugs into the ODB module and displays that to the receiver, what you can access depends on the receiver. We will see.

I personally don't care about steering wheel controls. Wife's car has them, only use the volume and half the time I forget and just turn the knob like I have for the past 20 years.

I will post back once everything is installed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
go to the idatalink site (use IE not chrome) and you can run compatibility simulator for your vehicle/ radio selection. You can easily see what radios will give you most features as far as obdii monitoring and steering wheel controls. If you didn't care about those, the only thing to worry about is if you don't get an adapter your ODO won't constantly flash the time.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So according to my install guy the Maestro is a no-go. Says the wiring harness is completely different, like maybe a volkswagon or volvo or something like that. Not the same as the ones with the Uconnect. So the CH3 DOES NOT WORK. Bummer, but I don't really need the ODB displayed. Gone my whole life without it.

Other than that everything works great. I now have a 6.2" touch screen multi media player with a back up camera for a total of about $350.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts