Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's talk awnings, I'm trying to figure out the best set up. I have a 3500 extended. The obvious one would be the fiamma f65 $1200. But but but I really like the 270' ones so that the rear has coverage. I especially like that all-cab shadow awning $1500. I'm just worried it's not deep enough to shade much. Especially being on a high top van. There is a cheaper version by Rhino racks ($700) the bat wing, but I think it's almost smaller. Anybody try one of these, if so what are your thoughts? I can't really even find many pictures of vans with awnings like those so I guess not many people have tried yet.

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,031 Posts
Probably best to add to the existing awning threads, rather than start a new one.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that suggestion. But I really didn't see much about a 270' awning. Maybe I missed something, or maybe nobody has tried one yet

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the Rhino Rack Fox Wing, awesome room under there for when I set up at the races. Added an extension to cover the passenger door and I have side walls for bad weather. Only draw back is setup time, so only use it for weekend race events.
I've posted a few pics in other threads already, so you should be able to find them pretty easy.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Rhino Rack Fox Wing, awesome room under there for when I set up at the races. Added an extension to cover the passenger door and I have side walls for bad weather. Only draw back is setup time, so only use it for weekend race events.
I've posted a few pics in other threads already, so you should be able to find them pretty easy.
Thanks Bill, but you have a low roof van. Do you think it would still be very effective on a taller van? I think the alu-cab shadow is a little wider than the rhino rack version, but double the price.:(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yep LR for me, High roof would be a pain to setup for sure. However the way they mount you could easily have brackets made to mount it lower on the van.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
this bit of info comes from our use with the Fiamma F45 and moving away from that style to ... hold on to your hat... a tarp (but a nice one!)
Over ~5 seasons of use with the Fiamma in our native PNW with daily afternoon winds over 20/25mph and having to roll in the Fiamma and then having to go inside due to rain and now no cover, we were done!
We went over to using a Kelty Noah Tarp off a custom side rail on our Chevy and now use the same tarp(s) <9', 12', & 20' models > these are high quality lightweight camping tarps) on the stock roof nubs on the camp side of our HR PM 159. It is so simple (gear ties to nubs) to wrap the tie around and then stake out a pole or two. AND the best part is i've had the tarps in winds well over 35mph and they behaved fine! There is no way i could have pulled that off with any of the commercial awnings on the market.

Just something to keep in mind during the research. Nearly every style (including the batwing/foxwing 270) will state there is a typical wind limit of ~20mph and you should take them down. I've seen my share (we full time) of RV awnings ripped off or destroyed due to being deployed in winds.

our chevy with the smaller 9' Kelty Noah during fair weather over the camp kitchen area (to keep pine needles away, if weather had been an issue we would have used the larger size(s) that go all the way forward on the rail)...

Thom

·
Registered
83 Posts
this bit of info comes from our use with the Fiamma F45 and moving away from that style to ... hold on to your hat... a tarp (but a nice one!)
Over ~5 seasons of use with the Fiamma in our native PNW with daily afternoon winds over 20/25mph and having to roll in the Fiamma and then having to go inside due to rain and now no cover, we were done!
We went over to using a Kelty Noah Tarp off a custom side rail on our Chevy and now use the same tarp(s) <9', 12', & 20'

Thom
A Fiamma is not in our build budget so it will be DIY like many others

Do you bring your own poles? If so is there a type you like? Here on the island I have just used what I find laying on the forest floor in the past,, time for an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
A Fiamma awning is much better then using tarps. Set up times/storage and you can leave the side door open
when it is raining without water dripping in if so desired.

I have used tarps and was just tired of it. Packing and unpacking if you stop for only one night (pain).
Have the F65s . You will need to buy the center rafter http://www.eurocampers.com/Center-Rafter-for-Fiamma-F45-and-F65-Awnings_p_1316.html for wind. (Very strong during windy conditions).

Plastic tarps are loud during windy days. The F65s is quiet. Also if really windy is to not put it out all the way.

In my opinion is not to go the legless route with the auto retract.

So I will say I am very pleased with the Fiamma F65s. Had it for over 3 years now.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Do you bring your own poles? If so is there a type you like?
Hi we use the Kelty Adjustable Pole, purchased our (we have 6) from amazon. Great poles, a tad spendy, but we like the compact anodized aluminum.

...Plastic tarps are loud during windy days...
As an FYI, the tarps we are using are light weight (4lb) high quality camp/back packing/hammock style tarps. No noise...the wind's howl is louder!

Also, our F45 had the center/rafter support. The manual and all online instructions/videos recommend stowing in windy conditions.
Here is a quote from the Fiamma FAQ page:

Q - Can I use my awning to protect me from the rain?
A - The awning is meant to shelter you from the sun and moderate rain. Therefore, we recommend you to close the awning in case of strong wind, heavy rain or snow. For moderate rain use the central rafter and lower one leg to allow water running off. Water pooling can stretch the fabric causing faulty closing. Be careful because the fabrics with this kind of problem are not covered by warranty.

Thom

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I've decided on a Dometic 9500 awning, lots cheaper than a fiamma and looks good. But I'm not sure if I want to spend the extra $400 on the power version.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmmm, Looks like I could mount that right to my existing rack. I'd do power, only thing that makes my Foxwing a hassle is setup time &#55357;&#56860;
Now if the made a 6' I'd but one on the back too &#55357;&#56397;

·
Registered
52 Posts
We went over to using a Kelty Noah Tarp off a custom side rail on our Chevy and now use the same tarp(s) <9', 12', & 20' models > these are high quality lightweight camping tarps) on the stock roof nubs on the camp side of our HR PM 159. It is so simple (gear ties to nubs) to wrap the tie around and then stake out a pole or two. AND the best part is i've had the tarps in winds well over 35mph and they behaved fine! There is no way i could have pulled that off with any of the commercial awnings on the market.

Just something to keep in mind during the research. Nearly every style (including the batwing/foxwing 270) will state there is a typical wind limit of ~20mph and you should take them down. I've seen my share (we full time) of RV awnings ripped off or destroyed due to being deployed in winds.

our chevy with the smaller 9' Kelty Noah during fair weather over the camp kitchen area (to keep pine needles away, if weather had been an issue we would have used the larger size(s) that go all the way forward on the rail)...

Thom
Any pics rigged on the PM?
Is the Noah rectangular in shape demensions?
My PM is a 136 WB and I would like to be able to cover the entire side but not be overly large so undecided on 9' or 12'.
Ideally would like to extend the nub further forward to provide full coverage of the side door, I think those nubs are just threaded into the roof but havnt had a chance to investigate further.
I am frugal(cheap) but for around a hundred it might be worth taking a chance.

Thnx

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
You can fully install a metal extension in the edge seam of the tarp, drill it in the center and put it over the nub to give the tarp an extension at the front. The nub isn’t moving.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,826 Posts
Somebody extended the front by tying to the driver's outside mirror. I put a piece of broom stick in a tube at the top of the tarp.

Thom, how well can you launch the tarp in the wind?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I definitely love the Fiamma F35pro I put on my sprinter. It has legs that I stake down. It handles wind and rain very well. It is a manual deployment, so 2 person job, but it only takes a couple of minutes. Height is an issue. We are short. I open doors and step on the bumper. I step stool or crate you can stand on would make it incredibly easy. Best solution I've found yet. I tried tarps and popups.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Great Q's... Tuesday we are supposed to get some dry weather. It should be a good day to experiment. I'll upload any pics that help.

Any pics rigged on the PM?..
This video is informative on size/shape:
> > Kelty Noah Video on YT < <
basically it is set up so one corner is at the front of van roof, a side is attached to the tabs/rail/etc, then the opposite corner (down the ridgeline/main structural center seam) is secured to a pole or tree. sometimes we will use a second pole depending on our needs. The nice thing over the seasons we've incorporated these is they can be set up in various ways to shelter from sun/rain etc.

...give the tarp an extension at the front..
...Thom, how well can you launch the tarp in the wind?
This style of camp is not for everyone i realize, but for my wife and i the simplicity, robustness, and flexibility of setup is great.
: ) Thom

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How would you mount the Dometic? They don't seem to offer PM roof brackets like Fiamma and Carefree.
I have a roof rack so mounting will just take some imagination. I'll fab a mounting system for it. Now I just need to find a deal on one.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts