Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My next project on the van is to install an awning with an awning room, some refer to this as an awning tent. It looks like I can fit an awning that is 10’ long, and since I have a high-top it needs to be a crank-out. For the awning room I am looking for something that has a floor, zip windows and doors with screens and of course is compatible with the awning. I have done some searching on the internet but I really have not seen anything that appeals to me, so any help and advice that I receive from this would be much appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
625 Posts
Fiamma awning, good stuff, but pricey. Love mine. Fit a 13' awning on my 159 Extended.

And I think Fiamma offers a screened room that attaches to the awning, don't think it has a floor though.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Reactions: Melmike

·
Registered
186 Posts
I went with Rhino Rack, Fox Wing awning setup on the Expedition Rack. Since I'm going for the off-road Adventure van look as I build it and they have lots of Tent, Wall and extension options. A bit pricey with all the goodies, but found a dealer in Bend Oregon that gave me 20% off and installed it all no additional charge. I'd prefer not to deal with the manual setup, but after just a few uses I can setup in 5 mins so not to bad and it provides shade for 2 and my MX bikes at the races.

www.rhinorack.com listed under Products-shade-awnings

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question on Rhino

I went with Rhino Rack, Fox Wing awning setup on the Expedition Rack. Since I'm going for the off-road Adventure van look as I build it and they have lots of Tent, Wall and extension options. A bit pricey with all the goodies, but found a dealer in Bend Oregon that gave me 20% off and installed it all no additional charge. I'd prefer not to deal with the manual setup, but after just a few uses I can setup in 5 mins so not to bad and it provides shade for 2 and my MX bikes at the races.

www.rhinorack.com listed under Products-shade-awnings
Thanks,

Can you supply any pictures? Which options did you buy?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry, no pictures of it setup yet. The Rhino rack website is good and has video of the set up. I just ordered one of the angled extensions, 31112. Be a week or so before I set it up at the upcoming Vintage MX event at Washougal when I get to race my just finished up old Honda :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry, got the name confused Pioneer Platform 42105B is what I have mounted to the HD 3 bar setup.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That has got to be a great looking setup based on what the web site shows. Does it use the factory rack mounting points on the roof of the Promaster?

·
Registered
186 Posts
That has got to be a great looking setup based on what the web site shows. Does it use the factory rack mounting points on the roof of the Promaster?
Yes, bolts right on

·
Registered
186 Posts
Fox wing pics

Finally got some play time, here's the awning in use. I ordered this week one tapered extension and a rail lit for the platform, week or so before they get here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well I'm not to good at figuring out how to post pics, but here's another

·
Registered
186 Posts
One more of the awning

Last one, :)

Attachments

Reactions: KNDLKSTMS

·
Registered
3 Posts
My replaced the glass of my sliding glass door with vinyl. I thought about doing it by myself but I let a dealer from heritage home design windows and doors deal with the installation.Among energy efficient windows http://www.heritagehomedesign.ca/ they are the best and helps in keeping the interior cool.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
441 Posts
Melmike - While I don't have any more info about that tent, it certainly looks like it would be great. I am in the market for something like that too and was closing in on a Clam Shelter.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TMBEN1K

But I like yours better because access to the PM is better. I hope that it is not too much trouble to drive away from when it is necessary to run errands with the PM but don't want to take the tent down.

·
Super Moderator
441 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,547 Posts
Speaking of awnings....

I just bought a Gazelle 5 sided screen room. It makes an 8' diameter inside space, and SETS UP or TAKES DOWN in UNDER TWO MINUTES.

From in the bag, to out, to on the ground, to fully set up in under 2 minutes.

We just got back from camping at a campground in Hershey PA for the annual RV Show there (mentioned in another thread).... 1300 RVs for sale/display in one big parking lot! I had tried the setup once at home... took 3 minutes the first time. We went out for dinner with friends, so this first time, I had to set it up in the dark, with an audience! Under 2 minutes!....no bugs!

It lists for about $199, but discounts are better on Amazon, etc. The Gazelle, and the Clam products are similar in ease of use and quality. I was told that Eskino, the parent company for Gazelle invented the idea for ice fishing huts. Then Clam made it as a screen house, then Gazelle made their screen product. There are fiberglass poles, but they are built into the tent. The sides of the tent "pop open" to form a rigid structure. Ceiling is about 83"... nice wide ground flaps to keep skeeters out. One zippered side.

I bought the Gazelle because it made an 8' space. Clam has a 6' square, and a 12' hex and a bigger rectangle. The 8' Gazelle was also my choice because it is 63" long in the bag, and fits under my couch for traveling, along with lots of other stuff! Bigger would not fit inside, and the smaller Clam seemed too small inside.

Gazelle info here ---> http://www.gazelletents.com/5-sided-portable-gazebo

They also sell side panels to cover up the screens and make it a tent, or for wind control.

It is free standing and does not attach to the PM in any way, so it's not a bug proof addition to the van. But, that makes it an "unattached drive away". We left it set up at the CG. It also provided a great shaded space.

In case you're wondering... I LIKE IT!

ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts