Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2021 Ram Promaster 159" EXT (its a CAVE)
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want awning vented windows in the rear doors, and it looks like these are my only option? Anyone have any other ideas? These include screens & shades too so that could be cool. I will likely still sew together total blackout/insulated covers (EZcool & Thinsulate) as well that will magnetically attach to van metal over the top of this for colder/hotter weather.

What I'm trying to achieve is awning openings are in case it's raining that way the windows can still be open and water would drain off the window rather than into the van. Also I want windows in the back doors, and not at our head and feet because this would allow the wind tunnel the MaxxAir roof vent creates to drag air directly over our bodies while in bed which would be a very nice feature if it's hot.

And another super crazy idea is IF these openings are large enough, can I possibly fit a very small window A/C unit LOL? (fortified by a ladder like structure to hold A/C steady, padded & insulated by polyiso at the window frame, only to be used while parked with shore power).... I don't know if anyone else has tried to do this already but I'm curious if anyone else is as crazy as me 馃槣

Edit: SUPER SWEET TINY KAPSUL AC UNIT!! 5000BTU's!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
LOL, now that I'm on this I just want to see how others have done it. Don't even need a ladder support with bracing like this!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yay! Here it is for sale! "Kapsul" 5000 btu's packed into tiny footprint!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I've been playing around with measurements of Dometic windows and our rear doors. I won't be able to fit the Kapsul into the Dometic 550 x 550 awning windows, and the area won't accommodate a larger window. Durn!

Back to the drawing room!

Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
I've been playing around with measurements of Dometic windows and our rear doors. I won't be able to fit the Kapsul into the Dometic 550 x 550 awning windows, and the area won't accommodate a larger window. Durn!

Back to the drawing room!

It looks like that adapter plate that the unit slides into has stand alone mounting holes in each corner. Kapsul just needs to design build a non window dedicated mounting frame that has a cover that locks on when the unit is removed. Hard to tell by the video which can't be paused, but it looks like a section of HDPE could be cut to fit that flange and with proper thickness would lock in place just like the unit does. Of course cutting a dedicated hole in the side of the van is a big risk because if the unit ever fails, or the company goes out of business you are SOL.

Man I feel we 'Arveeers' are on the cusp of new lightweight efficient affordable a/c units sized for our vans.........

Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
Uhmmmm innovative but .......nooooooo!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like that adapter plate that the unit slides into has stand alone mounting holes in each corner. Kapsul just needs to design build a non window dedicated mounting frame that has a cover that locks on when the unit is removed. Hard to tell by the video which can't be paused, but it looks like a section of HDPE could be cut to fit that flange and with proper thickness would lock in place just like the unit does. Of course cutting a dedicated hole in the side of the van is a big risk because if the unit ever fails, or the company goes out of business you are SOL.

Man I feel we 'Arveeers' are on the cusp of new lightweight efficient affordable a/c units sized for our vans.........
Yes, IF I went this route (and not likely anytime in the future since it's impossible ATM to order a "Kapsul") I would completely cover the window opening with plywood and cut an opening in the plywood to fit the Kapsul, then mount the mounting frame to the plywood so I can clip/secure it into place properly. I would of course pad and cushion my window and van body so that NO DAMAGE would happen (likely by using polyiso or XPS high load for padding & insulation value too).

For now the A/C idea is just an idea, but before I buy and place windows I want to make sure I leave this as an option into the future. I think I'm settling on getting Tern Overlander windows since they are all awning vented (screened and shaded), and I want any windows I get to vent. For now I'll be ordering two 300x500 Tern Overlander windows for the rear doors behind our bed (nice for venting and a little view) and larger windows (not sure yet on exact size) for the sliding door on passenger side and also right behind the drivers seat. That is where our sitting area is and that would be so nice to have views/venting on all sides from there. If I do a Kapsul A/C unit I'll place it into the drivers side larger window and only when parked in campground with hookups for electric unless we decide to look into a massive lithium battery bank :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
One of our forum members had this idea...

LOL, I would be too scared to drive like that! That is really cool though! Smart guy, I wonder if it really works? Or has it caused him problems?

I don't think our windows are wide enough? They seem too narrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts