Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase a Freedom Box awning from "Carefree of Colorado." They offer a roof mount bracket for flat roofs, but I am not sure whether I should use this for the Promaster or whether I need to get something different.
Here is a link to the roof mount bracket.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/catalog/part-detail.html?id=65&bc=0,&q=2&pp=24&sst=roof mount

Can I attch these to the Promaster roof tabs or would I have to drill into the roof? I would love to avoid drilling more holes in the roof, but if properly sealed, should I really care? Do you think the roof would be strong enough to support the mounting brackets without reinforcement?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Assuming the picture is oriented right (down is down), you might have enough surface area to stick them on with 3M VHB tape (Amazon) similar to some solar mounts. A lot of folk here bought Fiamma awnings, partly because they also sell Promaster-specific brackets for them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My installer talked me into the Carefree over Fiamma since Carefree is a US company and has easy access to parts if needed, plus I save a few hundred not having to pay shipping costs.
I hadn't considered the roof mounting issue until they put in the order and I started looking at the roof mount brackets that were ordered.

Do you think that this could be a solution?
http://www.weatherguard.com/en/view/Products/Van Storage Equipment/Roof Racks/Mounting Kit/2115-0-01

I can't tell whether the Carefree mounting bracket would be compatible with the channel mounting kit made by Weatherguard.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Weatherguard channel might be compatible with Sprinter accessories, but I don't know how that would help you. If you are committed to Carefree, you may just have to wait until it arrives and hope the solution is obvious. Personally, I'd go with Fiamma since they have PM mounts that use the PM roof studs. Fiamma has a US distributor in Florida with a parts department. http://www.fiammausa.com/products/awnings.asp?Fam=A2&BG=F65

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I don’t see how those brackets are going to attach to any flat roof.

I wouldn’t in a hundred years rely on VHB tape only to hold an awning on my van. Just imagine what happens if it fails and the awning maims or kills someone in a car behind you. Think what the lawyers would ask you in court...... “So you decided to tape that awning on instead of using screws, didn't it occur to you it could fail?" You are liable of your actions were not those of a “reasonable" person.

The best reason I can think for buying the Fiamma is the brackets made for our vehicle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
sasquatchmtb,

Unfortunately I think your installer is not looking after your best interests. Some installers and RV dealers do not like dealing with Fiamma because as a dealer or installer they are reported to be a bit of a pain to deal with and their margins are better when they buy from Carefree. This does not mean that you will gain any benefit from buying Carefree. Fiamma USA is a US company owned by Fiamma Italy and they make the Awnings and parts in the US in Florida. As a consumer you can buy direct from Fiamma US and receive good services and parts supply.

Your perceived savings on shipping will be lost on messing around with mods to make a secure mounting bracket. Please be aware that the awning no matter the brand is really heavy! When the awing is extended even with the pole set up large forces are exerted on the mounting points and bracket.

The studs on the PM are reinforced and designed to cary roof racks and awnings so, at the very least if you go with the Carefree I would strongly recommend you use the studs in your bracket design.

All the best with your install,

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, reading through the installation manual I found that they do make a roof mount adapter specific to the Ducato.
It is shown on page 5 of the pdf. Based on the image, it looks like it will fit into the existing roof mount posts on the Promaster.
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/documents/Freedom-RM-Installation-Manual.pdf

Here is a link to the adapter, but there is no image, the only image is in the installation manual.
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/catalog/part-detail.html?id=16934&bc=0,&q=2&pp=24&sst=bs0009

So it looks like this will work without drilling any new holes in the roof. I will post up a review of the awning once I get it installed.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I am planning to purchase a Freedom Box awning from "Carefree of Colorado." They offer a roof mount bracket for flat roofs, but I am not sure whether I should use this for the Promaster or whether I need to get something different.
Here is a link to the roof mount bracket.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/catalog/part-detail.html?id=65&bc=0,&q=2&pp=24&sst=roof mount

Can I attch these to the Promaster roof tabs or would I have to drill into the roof? I would love to avoid drilling more holes in the roof, but if properly sealed, should I really care? Do you think the roof would be strong enough to support the mounting brackets without reinforcement?
Hi,

I wasn't able to find "Freedom Box Awning". I'm just curious, could you post a link?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
435 Posts
Looking at the parts pdf the CF looks very much like the Fiamma. The 4.5 meter and longer have 3 canopy support arms. This could be an Improvement. With the PM specific roof mounts the CF could be a good awning option depending on price. I have a Fiamma and they were easy to work with. Tell us more when installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In regards to Fiamma F65S awnings, the 10'6" is recommended for a 136" WB high roof and a 12'1" for a 159" WB high roof. Extended body ProMaster's can use a 13'1" width awning. There are two different installation brackets and the difference between the two are size. The larger bracket, 98655-904, is required for the larger 13'1" awning where the smaller 98655-745 can be used for smaller width awnings. Both kits come with hardware to mount to the roof posts but do require Sika Flex or likewise adhesive. Both kits also come with a strip of foam, Rain Guard, that fits between the roof and awning to keep rain and debris from coming underneath the awning. A search using the provided bracket numbers and the words installation manual provided a pdf directly from Fiamma. The awning, other products and parts are all easily obtainable from their North American distribution hub in Orlando, FL.

Let me know if you have any questions or need help about this subject.

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
I installed the CF Freedom RM (Roof amount) using the same ProMaster bracket kit on my DIY RV and it worked well. The awning we actually have not used maybe one time so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If its not to much to ask what was the price tag on the carefree awning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts