Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really not in the mind-set to pay $1000 for an awning, and I looked at the Bus Depot awning, even bought one for my last vehicle, but couldn't get over how hard it was to setup. Too many parts to keep track of. I want something like the Fiamma, but not gold plated :)

Has anyone come up with another option? The ARB([ame]http://www.amazon.com/ARB-ARB4401A-Awning/dp/B00K6L6CS2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453846700&sr=8-2&keywords=arb+awning[/ame]) awnings from Australia have a good reputation in the off-road world. I'm guessing it would just take some development of a bracket that works with the PM's roof studs to come up with a solution that I don't have to take a loan out for.

If, and it's a big 'IF', I was going to spend that much on an awning, I would like something like this...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Rack-Drivers-Foxwing-Awning/dp/B004VKDWVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453846767&sr=8-1&keywords=foxwing+awning[/ame]

Any thoughts???

Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
I know that a previous PM owner attached a Thule awning to his VanTech roof racks via the slotted grooves but I have yet to find one like his. I prefer this method of installation because it allows for removal and you don't have to drill any holes into skin. Anybody have a source for these?

·
Registered
320 Posts
JBS will this F35 fit your VanTech racks? If so how? Adapter brackets? I have VanTech racks identical to yours on my low/136. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
For a different take on Awnings!
I am in the process of making a triangle waterproof sunshade that attaches to the roof pins with D rings and bungie cord and is staked out with one pole and guy line. I have a prototype that is ready except I need one edge sewn as I cut it from a rectangular shade. It can be attached to the van without a ladder or any tools by one person and deployed in about two minutes. It folds into a small package with my gear. Why triangular? It is sufficient to provide shade or rain protection at the door, is 1/2 the bulk of a full awning or tarp, is stealthy- no awning hitched to the traveling van, its cost is about $60 complete. I am far enough along so I know it works. I am looking for a sail loft or upholsterer to sew the cut side of it. I may have to wait until March when I am in NH for the month as I have such a friend there.
I have a 136" van so I began with an 8' X 12' polyester sunshade: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161673203878?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=460822297415&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I am also getting a pole: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tent-Pole-Aluminum-8-Push-Button/33697727 The awning will be 8' along the van and 10' out to the pole. If you can wait late March when I return I will post the full particulars pictures and directions. No I am not planning on producing them for sale. It is a DIY project.
This is an option that is simpler than the ARB awning, has one pole, one person, quick, small $.
If you had a 159" van you would begin with a 10' X 10" sunshade cut to 10' along the van and 10' out.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Brilliant minds think alike. :D I also discovered that D-rings fit nicely on those nubbins and am working on an awning. Your triangle idea is interesting.

What is the D-Ring spacing on that awning?

Have you looked at the Cabelas pole? It gets very good reviews

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
MsNomer, Lets just say we both thought of it and not have to prove anything!
The distance between the pins is 103". The sunshade lady told me the 8' shade would be 96" plus the D rings- not so, it is 93" WITH the D rings. However my small but strong bungee (from a sun chair lacing) makes a loop that is just right- about 6" long but when stretched it pulls the awning just right. I left an 18" piece of the bungee dangling. To put the shade up I open the slider and the right rear door all the way, stand in the side door opening on my 7" shelf, reach up and hook the D ring to the front pin, (its on the right angled corner of the shade) then take hold of the "extra" bungie length and walk to the rear door opening, step up on the bumper, step up on the bottom hinge of the door, reach up and pull the bungie loop over the back pin, walk out to the end of the triangle, put the top pin of the tarp pole through the third D ring then the guy line, stretch it out, put in the stake, open a beer.
That looks like a great pole! Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
Ah I see you have found the weakness of an awning hitched from the pins. I plan to ignore it. Rain may come in for a few inches of the door front. Sun is less of a problem. Look- what $60 solution that is $930 less than a Fiamma has no issues? LOL.

·
Registered
184 Posts
JBS will this F35 fit your VanTech racks? If so how? Adapter brackets? I have VanTech racks identical to yours on my low/136. Any info would be appreciated.
Yes this awning will fit the Vantech racks with the optional brackets found on there site. Not sure of the model number for the attachment brackets but I will let you know when they arrive and how the install goes. Cheers

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes this awning will fit the Vantech racks with the optional brackets found on there site. Not sure of the model number for the attachment brackets but I will let you know when they arrive and how the install goes. Cheers
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see how this all goes together on yours! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd post a useful comment, but I'm one of the folks that went for the gold-plated Fiamma. Full length too, all 13'. I couldn't understand having a 13' long roof but only having an 8' or 11' awning.

Though I do appreciate the ingenuity for DIY awnings and other solutions. I might end up doing something like that for coverage over the rear doors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Zyzzyx,
How do you like your 13' Fiamma? I'm thinking about going the same route. I'm in the NW as well... how does it hold up against the rain? (this would be my major reason for the awning as I rather enjoy the sunshine!)

Also, did you do the install yourself? Was it relatively simple? Require 2 people on 2 ladders or could one man one ladder manage?

Thanks in advance:D

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Awning Options???

I'm not sure what you mean by "awning options" so I'll ask: Have you considered options other than attaching it to van?

I've seen a lot of campers use free-standing shade and rain protection. They are a lot cheaper, and while they have disadvantages compared to awnings, they also have some advantages beyond lower cost.

I've used both -- had older-style awning on Class C, but now been using stand-alone with present van. Because we do more traveling than camping, we ended up not using either as much as we thought we would. By time we normally stop at campgrounds in late afternoon, we don't need shade. And if it's raining we normally stay inside anyway.

One thing I don't like about awnings is that if sun is coming from passenger side, you may get almost no shade. I was reminded of this recently with my sister's huge 5th wheel at a football game. Huge awning and we sat in sun anyway.

An advantage of free standing that I like is that I can drive off to store or for sight-seeing and not have to take it down. Another is that occasionally there might be an area of the site that we like sitting at much better than next to van. Obviously you could also have one of each.

Depending on your needs or what you are trying to accomplish, this may be an option to consider.

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
EZ up makes a bunch of free standing ones and we have one, but it is a pain getting it up with just two people. At your Wally World http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-10-x-10-x-112-Instant-Canopy-Dark-Grey/42338314
I made a triangular tarp/awning so I could put it up myself but a similar square waterproof sunshade and two poles would work. 8X10 feet for 136 and 10x10 feet for 159. Rope and stakes for weights and all for about $80. See post #123 of my build for the triangular one. We both travel and camp/hike so we need a tarp and want it simple, easy and not something attached to the top and side all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
My Opinion... Buy the Fiamma . The Bad.. cost. But the good out weigh the bad. Can be set up in under 2 minutes and put away in
the same amount of time.

It looks like part of the vehicle and there is no mickey mousing around with mounting. Advantage with it mounted to vehicle is
you can leave the slider door open in a (beautiful) rain storm. I had no awning on the first camping trip and even in a slight mist
the water would roll off the roof and onto the floor. The sliding door had to be completely shut.

Ok here is how I bought the gold bar awning. First I did not buy the Sprinter. This alone aloud me to purchase an awning, Webasto
gas heater, Engel fridge and so on...

Oh I forgot I do not buy gold bar Expensive Apple products :eek: :) :D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts