Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I searched but could not find a definitive answer on whether the auxiliary switches option would interfere with installing an inverter. I am doing a camper build and would like to charge batteries while I'm driving (in addition to solar) and am looking at several 2019 old new-stock Promasters, one of which comes with the auxiliary switches option.

One person on this forum said: "It apparently uses (ties up) the battery fuse location that many of us use for powering a coach battery charging system off the vehicle alternator. I am glad I passed on that option."

Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks. Reading through the forums over the last several weeks has been SO informative, you guys are great.

·
Registered
692 Posts
#1 , I don't know . #2 get the switches . #3 make your camper electrical a separate system connected only to charge from alternator . The switches will be useful later on .

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
391 Posts
If you find the van you want and it has the aux switches just buy it.
You don't have to use the aux line if you don't want to. Just tap in at the battery and don't use the switch, or do. Just swap out the fuse to fit the amperage.
You can disconnect the the aux line at the battery also.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
If I recall, the aux buttons provide switched power to the B pillar upfitter area behind the passenger seat.

With a battery Doctor to charge your house battery(s), you could have an AUX switch on the dash power a relay that would the ground the Battery Doctor to enable charging.

In any case, an inverter changed 12V DC from a battery to 120V for AC uses. There is no relationship between charging from the van's alternator and using an inverter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As others have stated, no interference, at least on a 2017. In the photo, the fuse panel on the left is for (if equipped) the fuses for the auxiliary switches, rear window defrosters, and heated seats. In the middle is the upfitter connection, with output pins for various circuits, including the auxiliary switches (see attachment). The black box to the right of that is the fused, 70 amp, line from the starter battery.
633C6882-5296-4D8E-99CE-5C43EFF7FCB7.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, this is very helpful! On somewhat of a side note, I just purchased my 2019 Ram Promaster 3500 159 WB EXT! Will be picking it up in a couple weeks (it's out of state), I can't wait to get started on the build.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am doing a camper build and would like to charge batteries while I'm driving (in addition to solar)...
I use the Kisae DMT-1250 for that purpose, but make liberal use of the search function on this forum and you'll find ample options. I'm also using the AIMS Power 1200W switching inverter for what little AC that we actually use, and a MeanWell 12v DC power supply for when we're on shore power. I wired in a DPDT three-way switch to manually select between the two 100 AH Battle Born house batteries, disconnect the DC fuse block, or to turn on the MeanWell to power DC (assuming shore power is plugged in).

I'm not really sure what you meant by auxiliary switches. I'm feeding the DMT-1250 with 4 AWG wire spliced from where I cut that black and yellow connector (pictured by pjoconnor2001 above) out of the way. Heck, I should take some pictures to post in the electrical forum...

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
101 Posts
I use the Kisae DMT-1250 for that purpose, but make liberal use of the search function on this forum and you'll find ample options. I'm also using the AIMS Power 1200W switching inverter for what little AC that we actually use, and a MeanWell 12v DC power supply for when we're on shore power. I wired in a DPDT three-way switch to manually select between the two 100 AH Battle Born house batteries, disconnect the DC fuse block, or to turn on the MeanWell to power DC (assuming shore power is plugged in).

I'm not really sure what you meant by auxiliary switches. I'm feeding the DMT-1250 with 4 AWG wire spliced from where I cut that black and yellow connector (pictured by pjoconnor2001 above) out of the way. Heck, I should take some pictures to post in the electrical forum...
I have been eying that Kisae DMT-1250 for a while now. I’ll have one Battleborn to start and might or might not add a 2nd one down the road.
How long have you been using the Kisae and are you happy with it? How much solar do you have?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been eying that Kisae DMT-1250 for a while now. I’ll have one Battleborn to start and might or might not add a 2nd one down the road.
How long have you been using the Kisae and are you happy with it? How much solar do you have?
I've only been using it a little while but it was easy to set up. I also planned to delay solar and may not need it at all, so it may be overkill as just an alternator charger, but I bought it from Hein at diyvan.com who explained some of the benefits for lithium that you don't get from just a relay. (Yeah, I know he's a salesman, I opted to spend the money for future-proofing in hopes it lasts long enough for my next build).

Because I'm in the finishing touches of my electrical, I'll post an update after we get a few more trips on it and gain experience, as well as post my finalized design (and pics). I just keep on learning new things... that's part of the fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts