Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to bounce this off the forum to see if it sounds feasible...

Been kicking around Aux AC for awhile. Im not willing at this time to spend the bucks on one of the new 12V system and the corresponding batteries/electronics. Im not crazy about mounting an AC to the roof.

My PM is a daily driver and occasional overnighter. I like the idea of storing the AC when not in use, it not being permanently attached.

My idea was one of these: http://www.climaterightair.com/products/climateright-models/climateright-5000-btu-a-c-heater.html Its 5,000 BTU and seems like it should be sufficient to cool the van?

My plan would be to put it on the trailer hitch carrier with a yamaha2000 which I already own. It seems the Yamaha would power it? Id likely be able to plug it in when at conventional campsites, which is mostly where i've been lately.

Here is where it gets tricky- I was pondering if it would be possible to put the two 3.5" hoses side by side behind the license plate on the back door. Maybe put some spacers in behind the plate as necessary and take the plate off to hook up or maybe even a spring flip up plate holder. Looks like the install kit has some cover plates. I'd have to figure out a way to spread the intake and exhaust apart within the door molding for efficiency, I believe they recommend 16".

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Decided to try an LG 8000 BTU portable AC vented out the front window- by the measurements, it "might" fit between the front seats. Less of a commitment as its easy to adapt the exhaust vent and if its not suitable, it will be an easier return to home depot. Couldn't find one in store so i'm waiting for it to arrive by mail.

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
If anyone in NE wants one to try, I have one, new last year my sister bought and then moved away. New really and I'd take $150 for it. One pipe 110volts AC. This is not so much a sale as a way to further the research at a nominal cost.
PM me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The LG portable came in today. It fits between the front seats. Did a quick plastic vent attachment that sort of slides into the window slot and the window rolls up to hold it in place. This was probably not the best night to test the unit because it's mild out about 77 and raining. I had the ac on for about 2.5 hours and it was 71 in the mid/back of the van, though it would have got to that point much sooner if I wasn't in and out of the van. Nice and dry inside. It's working good enough for me to keep and make a more elegant exhaust piece. I'm thinking the moisture in the air made it harder to cool? The air blowing in front of the vents is about 67, there is some loss from the heat coming from the exhaust hose. About an hour in I opened the max vent but kept the fan off. It drew air in but I also noticed the exhaust vent cooled off a bit so it seemed like a net drop in temp- have to experiment some more, maybe it took some strain off the unit? The unit is very quiet- hear the air moving more than the fan/compressor.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'd like to see some more experiences using these types of units used in a van. . I need ac at some places/seasons. Willing to carry when needed. Can't have a food mount. Wall mounts are being used but require a food vent. Generally, home reviews are positive.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,249 Posts
The LG portable came in today. It fits between the front seats. Did a quick plastic vent attachment that sort of slides into the window slot and the window rolls up to hold it in place. This was probably not the best night to test the unit because it's mild out about 77 and raining. I had the ac on for about 2.5 hours and it was 71 in the mid/back of the van, though it would have got to that point much sooner if I wasn't in and out of the van. Nice and dry inside. It's working good enough for me to keep and make a more elegant exhaust piece. I'm thinking the moisture in the air made it harder to cool? The air blowing in front of the vents is about 67, there is some loss from the heat coming from the exhaust hose. About an hour in I opened the max vent but kept the fan off. It drew air in but I also noticed the exhaust vent cooled off a bit so it seemed like a net drop in temp- have to experiment some more, maybe it took some strain off the unit? The unit is very quiet- hear the air moving more than the fan/compressor.
Hi,
If you have a Kill-A-Watt meter, it would be nice to know what it uses overnight in KWH.

Wondering if there is any chance of running it on an inverter off the house batteries.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts