Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I would like to attach some wood shelves to the walls of my pmc. What type of fastner is best and do I mount plywood to the truck and then the shelf to that?

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Hello All,
I would like to attach some wood shelves to the walls of my pmc. What type of fastner is best and do I mount plywood to the truck and then the shelf to that?

Thanks

Mike
The best fastener is a rivnut or plus nut. I bought 100 pre bulbed 1/4-20 plus nuts from rivetsinstock.com but ended up glueing and screwing wood furring strips to the van skin and then screwing walls into those (I used sikaflex to secure the furring strips). I used the plusnuts to mount my water tanks underneath.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used a wooden-nuts. Made out of 1" ply-wood. Cut small part of a play-wood. The insert it into a squear channel (cross-member) To eliminate easy sliding of a ply-wood inside a channel I spray spray-foam inside

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
I did several things but the slickest was: Hold furring strips in place with clamps, drill a small indexing hole each place you want it fastened avoiding drilling through the skin of the van.... it looks like you made a mistake if you do. Then remove the furring strip, drill it to the size bolt you want. Drill out the hole in the vans supports for the rivnuts, install the rivnuts, return the furring strips to their position and install appropriate length bolts remembering they need to not reach to the surface of the van -looks bad if you make a dimple!

Reactions: jetmelt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would be a safe thickness between the inside wall and the inside surface of the outer shell. I am basically looking for a rough working length like say 1/2 inch does that sound reasonable?

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
That is fine. Just remember it. The rivnuts are that long compressed so it will take that much. I bought bolts to go into the rivnuts about 3/8 inch but most compressed the wood a bit as I tightened them and may have reached through. Most places I had 2 inches to work with as the ribs are about that thick except for the roof ribs which are about an inch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts