Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run E track to hook 2x4 hangers into and then create my bed. I've read a few posts about E track but they wander off to L track discussions. The E track is like 5" wide (high) so I'm not sure how I would attached to ribs that run horizontally at waist height as they would be wider than the ribs. Have found a few tantalizing photos of E track installed in Promasters but can't get zoom in for enough detail to understand how it's done. Anybody done it or have any advice? If I just attached it to 1/2" ply lining would it be secure enough or would it still have to be secured to the ribs also, through the ply? In trailer builds I have seen E track attached to the ply which looks totally straightforward, but I don't know if that's a thicker ply or if all/some of the bolts go through to ribs on the other side.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,544 Posts
My son just bought a Sprinter Crew new from the dealer, but already outfitted with two levels of E-track, neither of which is at the waist. It is attached to the ribs, where available, with rivnuts. Otherwise, it is bolted to steel bars that span the open spaces and that are themselves attached to the body with rivnuts.

In yours, though, there won't be any force pulling inward away from the wall, but the stress is going to be downward, thus stressing the top side of the attachments. I would bolt the top of the E-track through the 1/2" ply into the metal rib.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Would be interested in seeing photos of the Sprinter Crew installation if you have any close-ups?

·
Registered
186 Posts
E-Track

Here's some pics. Not sure how to link other photos, maybe look at my old posts from late 2016.
I used a 1x6 attached to the side rib, then attached the E-Track. Works great for the queen size bed platform when hauling work stuff underneath, when hauling Dirtbikes I take it down and store the bed parts in and on the bench's. Also use E-track single mounts and my bed platform becomes a couch/single bed setup when camped at the race track.

Attachments

Reactions: GrassyC and Turtull

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here's some pics. Not sure how to link other photos, maybe look at my old posts from late 2016.

That is my plan for the removal bed but will use 1/2 or 3/4" plywoods for the wall to attach E-tracks though. the bed will be high enough to clear my sport bikes when we have to stop overnites with bikes in the van.
i'm way behind on my built since other events took over priority and hoping it will be finish this spring since plan doing many trips/trackdays this yr.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a 1x6 attached to the side rib, then attached the E-Track. Works great for the queen size bed platform when hauling work stuff underneath, when hauling Dirtbikes I take it down and store the bed parts in and on the bench's. Also use E-track single mounts and my bed platform becomes a couch/single bed setup when camped at the race track.
That looks really nice and exactly what I think I'll do if I can fit bicycles on mounts (front wheels removed) underneath the 2x4 bed supports.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

That is my plan for the removal bed but will use 1/2 or 3/4" plywoods for the wall to attach E-tracks though. the bed will be high enough to clear my sport bikes when we have to stop overnites with bikes in the van.
i'm way behind on my built since other events took over priority and hoping it will be finish this spring since plan doing many trips/trackdays this yr.
Do you think the plywood will be enough to support the E track and the weight of the bed? I'm thinking you mean you will just attach the track into the plywood and nothing else? (not through plywood anywhere into rib?)

·
Registered
186 Posts
The upper portion of my board/e-track bolts to nut-Serts in the rib. Lower part of the e-track is just bolted in the wood and no issues for two of us weight wise when set up with the queen size mattress. With the rib as a guide it would be tough to get Sport bikes under there. You may need to mount the e-track well above the rib for enough clearance. I'd think 2x6 would be needed without the rib to support it or use maybe Aluminum with a L shaped bend for strength.

My single bed setup in the back still allows me to haul 2 dirt bikes and sleep, I just go in and out the back doors or climb over the bikes. I also have a Hamock that I hang between bikes at times when on solo adventures.

Reactions: GrassyC

·
Registered
52 Posts
How does your setup work while hauling Dirtbikes?
Recently purchased a 2016 136" LR and trying to figure a layout for hauling dirtbikes with a single sleeping arrangement, I am thinking I would like something with bikes in rear and a bunk forward to facilitate overnight Walmart/wayside sleeping while traveling without having to climb over the bikes.

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
1/4-20 and yes existing holes

·
Registered
186 Posts
With one bike it's fine with the rearward single bunk,no climbing over a bike and I can still get to the porta-potty too. Two Bikes I use a hammock between the bikes or sleep on the floor when stopped at night, a bit crowded. I also have a hitch carrier for one bike that is my preference so no need to put more then one inside.
I'm headed out to AZ on a work/ Moto trip Monday, I'll try and post a few pics after I load up this weekend.

Reactions: Iffykid

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a hitch carrier if need be and have a trailer hitch waiting to be mounted but was hoping to get away from having to use the hitchrack if possible and still haul 2 bikes inside, Bike falling out hitchrack, Tampering while sleeping etc.

Current ideas.
Bikes loaded normal to rear with folding cot width wise in front of bikes.

Bikes loaded to the rear one facing forward other loaded backwards along the drivers side with a fold down single bed 30X72" suspended from the ceiling partially over the bike, The bed would need to be suspended 38-40" to clear the bike seat leaving minimal head room in a LR meaning rolling into and out of bed.

OP sorry about the thread drift just trying to get ideas I was searching for ideas on how to install E track on the floor before I did this.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a hitch carrier if need be and have a trailer hitch waiting to be mounted but was hoping to get away from having to use the hitchrack if possible and still haul 2 bikes inside, Bike falling out hitchrack, Tampering while sleeping etc.

Current ideas.
Bikes loaded normal to rear with folding cot width wise in front of bikes.

Bikes loaded to the rear one facing forward other loaded backwards along the drivers side with a fold down single bed 30X72" suspended from the ceiling partially over the bike, The bed would need to be suspended 38-40" to clear the bike seat leaving minimal head room in a LR meaning rolling into and out of bed.

OP sorry about the thread drift just trying to get ideas I was searching for ideas on how to install E track on the floor before I did this.
I've tried all those option, each has challenges but I prefer two loaded to the back works best when the handlebars are by the back door. Surprisingly easy to load up thru the slider and room up front to sleep. Make sure if you go with the rack outside to get a class 4 or 5 hitch. I started with a class 3, huge amount of flex so I never used it. None with the HD version works great and I'm a lock salesman, so with the products I sell no one will get away with my toys easily.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts