1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it pays to cruise the Sprinter Forum:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56629

I ordered one--no problem with availability. We plan to wire it directly to the house battery and probably install it directly on the WeBoost.

Our AT&T plan only allows two devices, so this is its own stand-alone plan.

·
Registered
627 Posts
We look forward to your follow-up report. Our skepticism says "look out, nobody gives away unlimited WiFi for $20" particularly AT&T who has required a Direct TV bundle to get unlimited data prior to now. We're anxious to hear what the 'catch' is.

Coincidentally, a couple of days after our Oklahoma rendezvous our Samsung smart phone automatically updated to a newer Android revision (7 as opposed to 6) and our FoxFi hot spot stopped working. We anguished whether to go through the hassle of downgrading back to Android 6. After a very long telecon with Verizon support, we opted, instead, to drop our old 'unlimited' plan and go with their new one - - which, of course, is really not unlimited. We now have 3 so-called unlimited Verizon smart phones for $35 less than we were paying before. Each phone has the so-called unlimited which really means 22gbs of unlimited data, thereafter, they have the right to throttle down your speed according to how busy the 'tower' you're connected through is. (If you're an AT&T user you may have already experienced 'throttling' as AT&T is famous for this strategy.)

But this isn't real data in the sense of our use - - which is 80% hot spot generated. Each of our phones now gets 10gbs of 'unquestioned' hot spot data, thereafter, it reverts to 3G speeds (and as we understand it, this is an absolute which doesn't depend on how busy the tower is).

As most of our data use is through our network, we can effortlessly connect/swap any of the three phones to the network as the hotspot and therefore, effectively, get 30gbs/month of hotspot data.

But we're skeptical . . . stayed tuned for further chapters in this ever changing saga of "How the Internet Turns".

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a buisness plan so not sure if it differs my "unlimited plan" is 22 gigs per line plus 10 gigs per line of hot spot. After the 22 / 10 it says it may throttle back my bandwidth at times of network congestion and it's cheaper then when I shared 25 gigs between my devices

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My ancient plan has true grandfathered unlimited on one smartphone. The second I put 3-5G on, but there is no hotspot,no tethering. We rarely use 6-8G between us, but we are looking forward to using the iPad and computer.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

My order was cancelled (not enough data??). When I tried to reorder, it was out of stock online and I couldn't place an order for future shipment. So I stopped by an ATT store in PA which also didn't have it in stock.

Guy says why pay $99 when you can have it for $35? ATT is giving the Mobley and an Amazon Firestick free for signing up for mobile DirectTV at $35/mo, no contract. So I ordered the Mobley and the firestick to be shipped to my home and paid the first and only $35--the absolute LAST thing I want in my van is TV!!! Anticipating that canceling could be difficult, I used a card that I can easily cancel.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
Veeerrryy Interesting!

As recently as last Thursday, they were still offering Mobleys available online. Guess they have a lot of "sorry" letters to send! I haven't seen the offer to which you refer anywhere... and a question- No more Mobleys but they can sell 'em with the DTV deal? Veeerrryy Interesting!

I tried a different approach... not going well after hours on 'de phone and 'de chat with ATT :crying:

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
My guess? (and I hope I'm wrong!)... the package will have a Firestick and remote in it. My recent encounters with ATT tell me that half the people there know what's up and the other half work in Customer Service!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Purchased Mobley 6/1/17 online from AT&T and received email that it shipped on 6/2/17. BUT, FedEx tracking shows only a label was generated and they have NOT received the Mobley package from AT&T. 30 minute chat with AT&T and they couldn't tell me where the Mobley is. Not terribly impressed with my first encounter with AT&T.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
399 Posts
Are we missing something? What's the purpose in the Mobely? Is there a reason you can't use your phone as the hotspot?
If you have the AT&T unlimited phone plan, there is a 10GB data cap per phone when using as a hotspot. And that is a hard cap. Once the 10GB limit is reached the hotspot speed will be reduced to 128kbps. This is unlike the soft cap at 22GB overall limit which only has the potential to throttle down speeds in high congested areas.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Update:

My order was cancelled (not enough data??). When I tried to reorder, it was out of stock online and I couldn't place an order for future shipment. So I stopped by an ATT store in PA which also didn't have it in stock.

Guy says why pay $99 when you can have it for $35? ATT is giving the Mobley and an Amazon Firestick free for signing up for mobile DirectTV at $35/mo, no contract. So I ordered the Mobley and the firestick to be shipped to my home and paid the first and only $35--the absolute LAST thing I want in my van is TV!!! Anticipating that canceling could be difficult, I used a card that I can easily cancel.
The online Mobley through ATT was listed as unavailable. So yesterday I stopped in at an ATT store. They knew nothing about the Mobley DirecTV offer you mention. I also cannot find it online at either AT&T or DirecTV NOW websites.

Did they place the order for you or did you do it yourself? Do you have a link for where the order was placed(AT&T or DirecTV NOW)?

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you have the AT&T unlimited phone plan, there is a 10GB data cap per phone.
Verizon has the same 10/22gig numbers with one important difference - - Verizon's 10gig cap is not 'hard', rather, they say (stay tuned, we're new to their new plan) that after 10gig, you get only 3G.

Isn't it curious that the 'Big Two' have identical caps? Price/plan fixing?

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is likely cheap because it plugs into your obd port. Many devices have popped up that use the obd port to track your driving patterns. You can typically get a discount on your insurance if you install such a device from your insurer.

I'm betting that ATT is playing google by collecting driving information ad reselling it to the highest bidder. I suggest using the obd power adapter rather than plugging into your actual obd port. If it's free or even discounted, you are probably the product!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everything I have read says the Mobley is using the OBD for power only. We will connect it directly to the house battery. I have also seen a suggestion that it works with the WeBoost.

The entire transaction was handled by the store employees at their suggestion. This was a real ATT store, not an authorized seller store like we have at home.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts