Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have covered the areas above the windows on the backdoors and the slider how did you attach it. I've cut the pieces an drilled holes to match the holes on the door but I'm not sure the best way to attach. Ideally I'd like to match my other screws but that would mean drilling new holes in the door and I'd prefer not to do that if I can about it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
365 Posts
I purchased some ABS that comes close to the lower panels, and used 2-piece fasteners to hold them.
Made a cardboard template to locate the holes in the door, and transferred the locations to the panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got some nylon nuts from an auto parts store to go into the holes and the used the same screws and finish washers I used in the rest of the van. Because the backs of the finish washers are kind of sharp and could eventually tear the material, I put regular stainless washers behind each finish washer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,031 Posts
I like the look of the Travato with no visible connectors. Any ideas on that approach? Industrial velcro? Magnets?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the look of the Travato with no visible connectors. Any ideas on that approach? Industrial velcro? Magnets?
You could possibly use the same type of push pins that the gray panels on the bottom of the doors are held on with. Cut the boards, put the pins through the holes, put the material over the board and pins so they are hidden. Would include a few tricks to hold everything in place while covering the boards but could be done. Wasnt that important to me.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
365 Posts
You could possibly use the same type of push pins that the gray panels on the bottom of the doors are held on with. Cut the boards, put the pins through the holes, put the material over the board and pins so they are hidden. Would include a few tricks to hold everything in place while covering the boards but could be done. Wasnt that important to me.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
A very good idea! The only downside would be if you would ever have to remove the panel. Those "xmas tree" fasteners don't grip as well the second or third time around. However, it would be a rare occasion having to remove the panels.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
As much as I love the rear bath set up in the Travato I must say it reminds me of a hospital bathroom with all that white plasticy stuff:(

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,702 Posts
I still say they stole my design! >:D

The only part of the Travato K that I'm not sure about is the aluminum tambour door they use. I haven't ever been in one on the road, but I have to think it would make a lot of noise while driving. It's noisy when you close it standing still!

Don't know if anyone noticed, but they have an old fashioned door chain so you can secure the back door on the inside so no one opens it while you're "busy" in the back room....

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
There is a router bit set especially made to cut tambour panels. It’s a bit pricy ($150 more or less) but would be nice to have. Sorry I’ve lost the link but Google is your friend.

BTW, I agree, the design the "stole from you" is one of the best I’ve seen to date! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts