Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 2015 ECU Overflashed w/ current config by a seemingly reputable local shop (well, actually a guy they contract to), still did not allow "Extend Miles W SCR Active Faults" to be run again.

He also said that used ECUs "probably" can't be flashed with a new config/VIN...

I fear about to spend all my time and/or money either paying a dealer to piecemeal-replace every emissions system component, or running the MicroPod/WiTECH gauntlet in order to flash the ECU while logging everything sent from WiTECH site to my machine, and sniffing OBD-J2534 interactions in an attempt to reverse engineer what's what or at least create a replay scenario which I can flash any compatible ECU to my config.

I do not have time for this though. It will ruin my life. But I've already invested way too much time into my camper build to sell. My 5mph home on wheels

Just gimme a few more miles, my SCR stuff is fine!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've seen that, stopped to fill up fuel and warning appeared on restart...

Drove it past zero - I did 400 miles, Chicago to Twin Cities, and got it to selling dealer at 5pm... 9AM next morning dealer calls and says loose connection at bottom of DEF tank, no charge...

Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye, I'm talkin' recovering from when you ARE actually speed-limited to 5mph.

That sounds like a wild ride tho!
Drive past zero & keep going till sensors detect a 5% fuel level increase.
There may even be a way to game that trigger....

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
As noted by previous post be sure to look for simple wiring issues and proper grounding! There are numerous reports of the corrosion on the ground causing problems. Good luck

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's not clear what you're trying to do? Is there an underlying problem? You overflashed the ECU? The Dealer is going to flash the ECU? It sounds like at this point your only hope is a dealer. Good luck, most of them suck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the code? Back in 2016 I survived without seeing the dealer.
P208B Code Def pressure | Ram Promaster Forum
P2BA9 - NOx Exceedance - Insufficient Reagent Quality Issue

2015 PMs don't have the DEF Quality sensor.
This was the result of driving after days of near & sub-zero temps.
DEF was probably frozen, ECM did not sense a sufficient reduction of NOx across the SCR.

I ignored the Speed Reduced in XX miles warning, doing only city driving thinking i could extend the miles indefinitely with my scan tool until my next highway ride.

It's not clear what you're trying to do? Is there an underlying problem? You overflashed the ECU? The Dealer is going to flash the ECU? It sounds like at this point your only hope is a dealer. Good luck, most of them suck
I am trying to clear P2BA9.
I believe after every DEF refill it runs the P2BA9 test once, provided the correct initial conditions are met (engine up to temperature, ambient air temp > 20ºF etc).
Pretty sure some these conditions can never be met while limited to 5mph.

I don't believe there is an underlying problem besides poor design and an idiot operator.
AlfaOBD shows "last programming date" summer of 2020 (the last time I was at the dealer). I don't think the shop I paid successfully overflashed it...

After Tuesday is another cold-snap and I'd be stuck in this frozen wasteland forever, so I guess I'm going to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Followup - delivered to dealer on suitably warm day. By looking at it, they were 'doing me a favor' in exchange for deleting a bad google review I had left prior.
4 days later, Service manager bills me $200 and says I need the ECU replaced because they can't find or clear the codes.

They set me up with "50mi until reduced speed" via overflashing the PCM, which is all i really wanted from them in the first place. I waited till a day above 20F and drove causally around suburban neighborhoods for like 30 minutes, until it decided it was happy and the EVIC message cleared up (countdown had reached "speed limited on restart or refuel").

It's cool the dealer wanted to make an effort to make things right, but I think they are just so used to having all the answers that they become overzealous when it comes to the PM Diesel. There's not enough data out there to warrant bulletins such as the one attached. It applies to other ECO Diesels but will likely not come up as an addendum to our engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
368 Posts
Followup - delivered to dealer on suitably warm day. By looking at it, they were 'doing me a favor' in exchange for deleting a bad google review I had left prior.
4 days later, Service manager bills me $200 and says I need the ECU replaced because the can't find or clear the codes.

They set me up with "50mi until reduced speed" via overflashing the PCM. I waited till a day above 20F and drove causally around suburban neighborhoods (a bit countdown had reached "speed limited on restart or refuel").

It's cool the dealer wanted to make an effort to make things right, but I think they are just so used to having all the answers that they become overzealous when it comes to the PM Diesel. There's not enough data out there to warrant bulletins such as the one attached. It applies to other ECO Diesels but will not come upas an addendum to our engine.
If your state doesn't test delete all that garbage or plate it in another state that doesn't

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just read that Star bulletin. FCA is such a joke. It looks very time consuming and easy to screw up and then they have to start over.
This is required several times: "Turn the ignition off for 5 minutes, open and close the doors "
"DO NOT cycle the key off before performing the next step otherwise the routine will have to be
performed again."
"If after 45 minutes of driving, the message did not clear, or the P2BA9 did not reset, then additional drive time will be necessary as the monitor did not run"

I guess I got lucky, I got some bad def a couple of years ago. I topped it off with fresh def a couple of times and it finally cleared on the way to the dealer, about 50 mi before the end of the 200 mi countdown.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your state doesn't test delete all that garbage or plate it in another state that doesn't
It's been on my mind.
There are not many tuners out there that have this engine mapped, though I have heard they exist.

DPF and EGR can go, Which would possibly require significant engine recalibration due to the reduced backpressure etc.

Personally I would like the SCR intact, but with the potential for EVIC "see dealer" threats removed.
SCR/DEF reduces NOx emissions by 50-90% with near zero cost to fuel economy, performance or engine/turbo life.

I bought a CANBUS sniffer/interface and official FCA MicroPod II. And also a spare ECU.
I eventually intend to attempt to disassemble the binary code sent during a PCM flash and see if I can pick apart things enough to write my own preferences for emissions handling.

I do not think I will be successful at writing in changes, mostly because of checksums, but I have found some useful resources.

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
368 Posts
It's been on my mind.
There are not many tuners out there that have this engine mapped, though I have heard they exist.

DPF and EGR can go, Which would possibly require significant engine recalibration due to the reduced backpressure etc.

Personally I would like the SCR intact, but with the potential for EVIC "see dealer" threats removed.
SCR/DEF reduces NOx emissions by 50-90% with near zero cost to fuel economy, performance or engine/turbo life.

I bought a CANBUS sniffer/interface and official FCA MicroPod II. And also a spare ECU.
I eventually intend to attempt to disassemble the binary code sent during a PCM flash and see if I can pick apart things enough to write my own preferences for emissions handling.

I do not think I will be successful at writing in changes, mostly because of checksums, but I have found some useful resources.
I got a guy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a guy
Oh... you and I were actually DMing about this in late January! I think you were trying to find their contact info.

Reactions: HVAC1957
1 - 16 of 16 Posts