Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching the forum, it seems there's some debate on whether the PMs are galvanized or not?

I know that the past and current Sprinter is not galvanized and we all know about their rust issues. Corrosion warranty for the PM, current Sprinter, and Transit are all the same at 5 years. (Transit is unlimited miles and PM and Sprinter are 100,000 miles).

I know that my Audi S4 is galvanized and Audi's corrosion warranty is 12 years.

If the length of the corrosion warranty is a proxy for galvanized bodies or not, then this would argue that the PM does not have a galvanized body.

Anyone have more definitive knowledge of whether the PM has a galvanized body or not?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Scroll all the way down to "EXTERIOR"
http://www.caranddriver.com/ram/promaster/specs

On the Ram Trucks website a search for galvanized sends you a link to their .pdf brochure that claims all Ram trucks use galvanized panels. Seems to include the PM.
https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/pdf/brochures/US-17MY-Ram-Commercial-Catalog_eBrochure.pdf

Not a claim difficult to believe. Many makers have gone this way in the last 20 years. The new cool is aluminum. GM joins Ford in the aluminum truck pool next year I think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, this helps me to feel better if I end up with the PM. I had previously swore off Chrysler products after a couple of minivans rusted away.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Windstars are a rare sight around here. Meaning they've all rusted away or they never sold or both! The article specifies front subframe rust. The few Windstars I've seen had good bodies. My 1991 Caravan could have hit 24 years and 300,000 miles but it's body rusted away.

Many makers have gone this way in the last 20 years. The new cool is aluminum. GM joins Ford in the aluminum truck pool next year I think.
Except the lower end cars. I see so many pre-last gen Caravans with major rust. The last gen T&C pre-Pacifica are probably still too new.

I don't understand why my 1998 Subaru Forester has no rust on its body but everything bolted to the bottom (driveline, suspension) is rusting like crazy.

My friend hates rust with a passion. Only buys aluminum cars like the Audi A8. Timeless design and aluminum still looks great after 16 years, 210K miles. GM and Ford trucks would be nice except their frames are steel. Toyota Tacomas had to have frame replacement. The same friend has a 1977 GMC Motorhome. Body is fiberglass and aluminum. But he's had to have the entire steel frame replaced.

I like to drive things into the ground. I can repair everything and keep the cars going but haven't done body work so rust scares me. You guys are reassuring me the PM may last at least as long as other steel cars.

Plus the plan is to move to Colorado's Front Range where I'm told they use much less salt.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Aluminum is cool, but it also corrodes. I made a good living washing planes for the Navy that had to be completely washed with an anti corrosive after over water flights.

My boat trailer is 100% galvanized. After 13 years of being dipped in saltwater it is clear of rust except where holes are drilled and where hardware is attached. But it is a also heavier gauge steel than most pickup frames. And gets washed after each trip to the launch. Hard to do that with a truck on salted roads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aluminum is cool, but it also corrodes.
True that. My friends 2001 Audi A8 is aluminum except for steel subframes and he has no corrosion at all. Another guy's 1998 Land Rover Defender II's aluminum body is corroding like crazy. Disappearing aluminum and holes almost as bad as my Caravan. That has a steel frame.

I'm led to believe from this sample size of two that Audi knows how to build with aluminum and Land Rover doesn't. At least back at the turn of the century. Presumably Land Rover has learned in the last 20 years.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Land rover had about 50 years to get it right before that. Being fair to them, their all World crusader was not in many places salt was used. In NA its a different game than India, or central Africa or SE Asia. In the 1960’s we saw galvanic corrosion in the door corners where a steel insert was placed as reinforcement and it just ate away the aluminum. This would happen in just a couple of years! There was nothing we could seem to do to stop it. That requires an electrolyte. Water with the tiniest bit of salt is perfect!

Reactions: MJAB

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the historical perspective. Yup, that dogleg in front of the rear wheel was disappearing on my friend's Defender. So that was an issue not fixed after 30 years! Also anyplace a steel accessory attached. Rear hatch hinges, handle, rear ladder, bull bar, etc.

OTOH apparently Audi knows aluminum. My friends' A8 has plenty of steel too. Hinges, bolts, the front and rear subframes. Hard to understand how one company has the knowledge and another doesn't.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fiat Ducato, on which Ram Promaster is based, uses galvanized panels since 1994.

For sure one have to pay attention to not scratch the protective layer exposing the "nude" steel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The info will feel good if I get a PM. The Ford dealer just called to say he thinks my Transit is shipping after all. He'll confirm it today but I'll believe it when I see the status screen with a definite delivery date on it. If I don't see that, I need a van and will get a PM off the lot.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I live at the beach and had some exposed metal from a little bobo. Ive since covered it up with touch up paint but it was not fixed for about a year with no surface rust at all. I don't think it's anything to worry about imop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts