Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there- anyone else have experience with their PM ecodiesel being a lemon, and going through arbitration w Chrysler to get a replacement vehicle or some other type of compensation?
TIA!
Tara

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
There are several threads from a few years ago where FCA bought back a handful of PM diesels. Use the search.
AFAIK this recent compensation ($3000+) does NOT address our 3.0 liter I-4.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wish I knew how many diesels were sold and how many had problems. My 2015 diesel has been trouble free. It is an amazing hard working little engine. As for the tranny, I rarely put it in auto shift mode.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes, in my case it was a 2014, & had issues from the beginning. I made many calls to FCA customer support, and had in the shop at several dealers. They couldn't figure out how to fix it. The finally gave up and gave me a new one. I think the rules are specific to the state you're in.

Since then, I've had many MIL (CEL) lights, one limp mode, one warning to take it to the dealer or I'll be in limp mode. Other than that it's a great vehicle :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
My commercial salesman said (offhand) about 12,500 of the 3.0L 4-cylinder diesel vans were sold... I'd called him over to get the dogpack of service writers trying to pick fights away from me when I needed the A/C compressor swapped out under warranty, he mentioned it in passing as we chatted with the sole sane service writer out in the service lanes...

And I dropped in to see him a few weeks ago and learned he had defected to Iowa!! His replacement was cut from the same mold, err, cloth but just ain't the same, another one of those hope I never have to see or need him again deals!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So arbitration of course did not find in my favor. Chrysler is claiming that the 3.5 yr long running issue of the van mysteriously going into hobble mode, usually at higher elevation, is probably bc of the camper build. Even though it started doing it before the build started. Even though it got way worse after it got an engine replacement. Even though in 3.5 years of service visits and SIX MONTHS in the shop just for that one issue, and the problem being escalated to the highest level of tech support at Chrysler, not one single person has suggested that any aspect of the camper build might be affecting the vehicle's many mechanical problems.

And CO lemon law only applies for 1 yr after purchase. And I stupidly waited until I was past the initial 3 yr warranty to even try to get any compensation.

Apparently in CA you can file lemon law for up to 4 years after purchase. Maybe I just need to move the van there....

In the meantime, the van is in the shop (shocker) and needs a $550 replacement of the brake cable. Even though I have been telling the service people since last summer (have proof in writing) that I was getting brake fluid errors, and the diesel is known for getting water in and wearing down the brake cable, which also gets more wear and tear since it doesn't have a P gear. But it didn't get looked at the many x I asked about it to begin with (probably bc they were always busy with the other issues) and now it's past the initial full warranty and I have to shell out for it.

Anyone have any suggestions for next steps?

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Well, as bad as I feel for you they are right on the brake cable. It’s out of warrantee and worn out. The fluid issue has nothing to do with the cable.
A new engine was not going to fix the issue of “hobbling” the previous one. If FCA put in the engine for that reason they could have spent the money to replace all the sensors and control modules. It still might not have fixed it but would have been much more likely.
Good luck with that suit but it isn’t likely to work either, sorry KOV

·
Registered
750 Posts
So arbitration of course did not find in my favor. Chrysler is claiming that the 3.5 yr long running issue of the van mysteriously going into hobble mode, usually at higher elevation, is probably bc of the camper build. Even though it started doing it before the build started. Even though it got way worse after it got an engine replacement. Even though in 3.5 years of service visits and SIX MONTHS in the shop just for that one issue, and the problem being escalated to the highest level of tech support at Chrysler, not one single person has suggested that any aspect of the camper build might be affecting the vehicle's many mechanical problems.

And CO lemon law only applies for 1 yr after purchase. And I stupidly waited until I was past the initial 3 yr warranty to even try to get any compensation.

Apparently in CA you can file lemon law for up to 4 years after purchase. Maybe I just need to move the van there....

In the meantime, the van is in the shop (shocker) and needs a $550 replacement of the brake cable. Even though I have been telling the service people since last summer (have proof in writing) that I was getting brake fluid errors, and the diesel is known for getting water in and wearing down the brake cable, which also gets more wear and tear since it doesn't have a P gear. But it didn't get looked at the many x I asked about it to begin with (probably bc they were always busy with the other issues) and now it's past the initial full warranty and I have to shell out for it.

Anyone have any suggestions for next steps?
Sorry tcup that beyond sucks

Being Canadian, there are differences in our legal systems (similar but different).

was the “arbitration” “binding”. It sounds like “mediation” to me. Regardless, in Canada warranty is just a contractual agreement & does not limit parties to “Undiscovered Latent Defects”.

regarding DIY conversions & dealer/manufacturer “excuses” to void warranty;

I went to one of my local dealers to inquire of hooking up a gas heater to the factory provided aux fuel nipple. It was a very painful conversation of why would I want to do that and void my warranty etc. I am also curious about a HWT heat exchanger, but the thought in my mind is the warranty void BS. I have posted these concerns of mine on this forum, I assume from some of the responses I have received is some members here probably think I am afraid of my own shadow. Im not afraid at all, however real world experiences tell me dealers & manufacturers seemingly Will “say” almost anything to shake me off warranty/latent defect claims.

Redonkulas claim of theirs, unless they can prove how that is the cause.

If your arbitration was “non-binding” I suppose you can look towards the courts. More & more these days this is a hard slug set aside for the wealthy or angry. For me, it is just a decision of cost benefit. We have “small claims” & that is were I would go in your case. For me court is not about right or wrong, but more about winning or loosing. From where I stand & from what you have described you are right & they are wrong - winning or loosing in court wont change that.

whatever you decide, best of luck or peace in your decision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts