Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking prices for house batteries, naturally I am trying to find the best value for my dollars. I have come across "Apex" batteries (https://www.apexbattery.com/apex-apx6-205-gc-2-6v-205ah-sealed-agm-battery.html) which are listed as about half the price of other comparable size batteries. Their sales pitch is:
"How do you sell these so cheap? Because when you buy from Apex you are buying FACTORY DIRECT you can enjoy top quality batteries at the lowest prices. We guarantee our batteries perform as well as batteries that cost TWICE AS MUCH. Buy Apex Battery with confidence today!
I am tempted to pull the trigger, but then the old adage "if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't" keeps popping into my head. A Google search does not turn up any reviews. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about these batteries. I would greatly appreciate any and all input.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,079 Posts
Hi,
They have the right specs (as far as they give them), and the weight is about right compared to other golf cart batteries. But, I think they is a risk -- could not find any reviews anywhere.

Shipping looks to be about $30 a battery.

If you want to save money, you could get FLA golf cart batteries locally (no shipping) for about $80 each, and they would last longer than the AGMs. You just have to vent them -- a whole half hour of work :)
Saving of about $200 ish.

Gary

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do you have any issues with build up on the posts of the battery with FLAs? Ive had that on my car before but I believe it was because the connection wasnt as good as it could be. Also, how often do you check the levels and add water?

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Hi,
I've not had any buildup on the posts. I did spray them with the stuff the auto stores sell for preventing terminal corrosion -- comes in a spray can and has a slight red color.

Mine are Costco golf cart batteries that date from 2014, and the posts look pretty much the day they went in, and I've never cleaned them.

I'd guess I've added water 3 or 4 times since 2014. I tend to check before long trips, but usually don't have to add any water. I bought a gallon of distilled water, and still quite a bit left.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
Looks like they are very difficult to deal with. Go to Sam's Club and get them.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link - it looks as if my gut instinct was right and they aren't to be trusted.

Hi,
They have the right specs (as far as they give them), and the weight is about right compared to other golf cart batteries. But, I think they is a risk -- could not find any reviews anywhere.

Shipping looks to be about $30 a battery.

If you want to save money, you could get FLA golf cart batteries locally (no shipping) for about $80 each, and they would last longer than the AGMs. You just have to vent them -- a whole half hour of work :)
Saving of about $200 ish.

Gary
Due to need for venting and periodic maintenance I have not given FLA batteries any consideration. After reading your posts I am now giving them consideration. I have found a few local places that carry them at very attractive prices. The periodioc maintenance is no problem but I will have to figure out how to vent them.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like they are very difficult to deal with. Go to Sam's Club and get them.
I've checked Sam's online and like what I see.

I got mine for $84 at Sam’s Club FLA, no buildup in two years and I have yet to add distilled water even though we spend 6 months a year in very dry AZ. Probably will before I head west in October. Total of 215 amp-hour rated when I got my pair of 6 volt batteries. Made by East Penn (Deka), a good manufacturer, they know batteries! http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com
See: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durac...rod3590228.ip?xid=plp3990117-auto:product:1:1
Our house guests leave tomorrow and I will be going to Sam's and hope to come come with two batteries. Do you vent your batteries? If so how?

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I just put an RV vent on the side of the van painted black. I was a little reluctant at first as it makes a hole in the van but after cutting in two windows, a cable entrance for the solar, a vent opening, and an opening for shore power I got over it.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-MTS-PRODUCTS-Hose-Accessory/dp/B01KR7D5WK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502138871&sr=8-3&keywords=Battery+vent+kit[/ame]

Here is the wooden but sealed box under my dinette seat, vent is white and PVC fitting to turn the angle.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just put an RV vent on the side of the van painted black. I was a little reluctant at first as it makes a hole in the van but after cutting in two windows, a cable entrance for the solar, a vent opening, and an opening for shore power I got over it.

Thanks for the pictures - they really help. I ordered two batteries from Sam's and will pick them up tomorrow and will be placing an order for a battery vent shortly on Amazon. I cringe and shutter at the thought of cutting holes in brand new van. I'll be breaking the ice with the battery vent, then my Maxxair Fan. I've yet to order windows but the are next on buy list.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Yea I hear you. I had to call KOV to come up to help when I was ready to put in the windows. Of course he was of little help except for shouting “Just cut it, what are you some sort of wimp?"

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,480 Posts
Batteries Plus has the Duracell Ultra High Capacity Battery for E-Z-GO the same as sams Club for the same price with the 10% off coupon and no club fees. The cheap one is a little more than sams.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Battery Box Vent

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-MTS-...d=1502138871&sr=8-3&keywords=Battery+vent+kit

Here is the wooden but sealed box under my dinette seat, vent is white and PVC fitting to turn the angle.
When looking on Amazon at the battery vent hose that you used. A much smaller option popped up [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AIJ34M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]. If I used it I could run it down through one of the black plastic scupper vent covers and out through a rubber grommet on the bottom of the scupper to the outside sight unseen. My question is: Will the small diameter of the hose be enough to vent a battery box containing two 6V golf cart batteries?

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Hi,
The outlet for the vent needs to be above the top of the battery because the battery is venting hydrogen which is very low density. If the vent outlet is lower than the top of the battery, the hydrogen will just be trapped in the top of the battery compartment.

Most of the vent systems have an inlet (down low) and an outlet (up high).

There are some sites out there that allow you to make an estimate of the volume of H that might be released -- its pretty small. I used about the same size vent pipe as RD, but its probably larger than needed.

If the batteries are charged correctly, very little H is vented. Correctly means not charging over the max recommended charge rate, and not continuing to charge once the batteries are fully charged. I put the vent in mostly to cover the possibility that my charger could fail and try to overcharge the battery.

Gary

Gary

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi,
The outlet for the vent needs to be above the top of the battery because the battery is venting hydrogen which is very low density. If the vent outlet is lower than the top of the battery, the hydrogen will just be trapped in the top of the battery compartment.

Most of the vent systems have an inlet (down low) and an outlet (up high).

There are some sites out there that allow you to make an estimate of the volume of H that might be released -- its pretty small. I used about the same size vent pipe as RD, but its probably larger than needed.

If the batteries are charged correctly, very little H is vented. Correctly means not charging over the max recommended charge rate, and not continuing to charge once the batteries are fully charged. I put the vent in mostly to cover the possibility that my charger could fail and try to overcharge the battery.

Gary

Gary
Gary I appreciate the quick reply. In your opinion if I were to use that small diameter tube. But route it out the side of the van above the battery level. Would it work or is the diameter just to small to be effective? I would rather drill a small diameter hole and use the rubber grommet then cut a two inch hole. I want to be safe and do things right but would like to avoid cutting a big hole if I can.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
That small hole with a grommet will look strange whereas this vent looks like what it is, a vent. No one ever notices it. Your small hose should work especially if there is a small hole for air to enter low on the battery box.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts