Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made window shades out of Reflectix, which work well -- but they're not too pretty. We were thinking of painting the inside of them. Anyone tried that? Will paint adhere to it OK, even if you take them on and off a bunch?

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I sewed a quilted fabric to the inside and attempted to add binding around the perimeter. My sewing skills failed on the binding and the window coverings seemed to shrink a bit over time and multiple rollings. They were very nice and effective but after nearly two years I bought custom made commercial ones.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, both contact paper and fabric occurred to me. Fabric is a bit dicey for me -- as crazy as this undoubtedly sounds, I've had a **** of a time finding sheets I can tolerate, and since some of these shades will be right by my head while I'm sleeping, it could be equally difficult to find fabric for the shades I could tolerate. Plus, there'd be no way to wash them if the fabric later became contaminated. Since the van is above all a safe space for me, I think it's not worth the risk.

And I'm worried that contact paper might not stick either, particularly over time. I suppose I could do something like wrap it around the edge, covering the outside by just a half-inch or so, and then adding staples.

I heard one other report about Reflectix shades shrinking over time -- that's really interesting. What are the commercial ones you bought, RD?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha! We have quite the conservative forum software here. Didn't occur to me that the word "he ll" would be verboten. Guess I'll have to clean up my act around these parts!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Good to know about Reflectix shrinkage. It must be the plastic core shrinking with heat. We were leaning that way, but now commercial shades are looking better and better. Julie, how about using fabric from stuff you already know you can tolerate (bed sheets, etc)?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, yeah, mylar is OK for me. That's an interesting idea.

Bedsheets I can tolerate are in desperately short supply these days. But, hmm, there is one brand that has seemed to be OK. Maybe they have other colors... Thanks for the thought.

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Only a thought - it may peel right off or smell I have no real experience with it other than what other people say about it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The smell is quite pungent when it's first applied.

My first experience was an application on an arm stick for a puppet for a production of Avenue Q. I had to get back to work quickly for something, and by the time I got back the cast was ready to lynch me for trying to asphyxiate them. This was in a small hole-in-the-wall theatre with no windows.

Use proper ventilation or you'll feel like you're huffing something.

P.S. this is for the aerosol version, not the liquid.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Plastidip is new to me. Thanks!

And RD, can you give me any info on your commercial shades?
Sure see: https://www.high-end-motorsports.com/ram-promaster-sunshade.html I sent them paper templates for 5 other windows to custom make. All had velcro roll up for pairs, came with suction cups I didn't use as I favor velcro. They are a bit stiff but roll and store fine, fit great and are white on the inside and reflective on the outside. Not a huge amount of insulation value but some and darkening and convenient. Total price with shipping for every window in my van (total of 8- five were custom) was about $175 delivered.
I store the cab covers in the over-head and the rear ones in a 3” by 12” slot behind the porta-pottee.
Julie, I would call them and ask for some scraps to test for tolerance if you are thinking of using their product. My conversations with them were very good. ++++++ service.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
>:D Because I got the money and I wasn’t planning to go to Europe this winter so I must find a way to get rid of the **** stuff, and no I am not sending it to you or anyone else so don’t ask! Actually I bought a Vespa, sort of Europe here!

These are really nice shades, I suffered making a set already and the folks I talked with were so accommodating it just seemed like- WORTH IT- remember the magic shade won’t do the windshield or perhaps the slider window???

I bought the Espar remember? I can spend money, it hurts but I can suffer! Don’t you think the white interior of the shades might look a bit Sterile? :x:x

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,682 Posts
Magic Shades work all around, but I am going to modify the shape of the ones over the counter. If those work well, I may modify them all. I bought a fire shelter off eBay for $50. It is an aluminized fabric designed to be ultra durable and heat reflective. That silver complements my sterile ceiling quite nicely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts