Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting for the diesel, but now am actually leaning toward the V6 and converting to Propane. From what I've read, the conversion is about 7K, propane can be bought now at about $1.75/gal, you get a $.50 gal tax credit here in CO, and lifetime of the motor is substantially increased.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With diesel, there is an agriculture price, and an on-the-road vehicle price, where road taxes are added. I don't know if that's different with propane. Please note that propane is cheap again at the moment, but it went up to about $6/gal in the winter. I just switched the house to natural gas to get rid of propane.

On the other hand, many moons ago I had a ford courier which had been converted to propane, and I though it was pretty nice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have heard about propane conversions before. The benefits that you list are accurate, but one drawback is that there isn't as much infrastructure to support propane as there is with traditional gas stations. Other than that though, I say more power to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
propane conversion

Modern systems allow for seamless switching from gas to propane. I'm told that a vehicle starting up on propane wont pass emissions testing, so they are made to start on gasoline and then switch to propane after about 20 seconds. My plan would be to put about an 80 gallon tank in a 159" so most of the time I could just come back to my local area to refill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
propane conversion

My initial thought would be to put it inside along the drivers side, under any shelving I put in.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
The gasoline gallon equivalent of propane is only about 3/4 the energy of gasoline, but it sounds like you will save money.

I think that with a conversion, you might lose some power and torque.

Would make a lot of sense if you have a local business and your routes didn't stray far from supply points.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, do the math.

How many miles will you have to drive to break even on the $7,000 cost of conversion?

How many miles to actually save money and how much over the life span of the van?

I think many, many miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts