Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm close to buying but don't own one yet.

However, that hasn't stopped me from going to the dealer to take measurements and daydreaming up ideas for an RV conversion. I've been sketching various floorplans. My current one is rear bed, mid-bath and kitchen, and front 2-person bench seat just behind driver's seat for the two kids (one 20-month old, one on the way). That will be used with the two front cab seats for an eating/lounge area.

Now, I was thinking of a home-made slideout that would sit above the kitchen when extended and cover the kitchen when in. It would be manual so as not to worry about an electrical system to move it.

By having the slide sit above the kitchen and not directly on the floor, that means I can't put the guide rails underneath like traditional slides have. I'd have to mount them on the side like a regular drawer. I'd use four heavy duty rails and roller tracks.

It would comprise of one, possibly two, 20" deep by 60" long bunks for the kids. The head, or front 1/3rd area would be open. The foot, or rear 2/3rd area, would be walled off with a 4-6" deep cabinet for kitchen storage (spices, utensils, etc).

Under the kitchen counter I'd have regular storage.

Pros:

More sleeping space (in or out)
Eliminates setting up two extra beds for the kids
Could be a fun project (for me at least)

Cons:

Moving parts
Another way for heat transfer or weather to get in if not sealed correctly
No room for large storage cabinets above kitchen
Covers sink and range so no using the kitchen while underway

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
.....cut.....

Pros:

More sleeping space (in or out)
Eliminates setting up two extra beds for the kids
Could be a fun project (for me at least)

Cons:

Moving parts
Another way for heat transfer or weather to get in if not sealed correctly
No room for large storage cabinets above kitchen
Covers sink and range so no using the kitchen while underway

Thoughts?
I thinks Cons win.:)

I'm not entirely sure how you would get a "slideout" to work over a mid-coach kitchen (assuming you are talking about a unit that slides space from inside to outside of van), but it seems that setting it up would not be that much easier than making up a bed in the front over your 2-person bench and two front seats.

That's the way the Winnebago Travato works, although I've seen even better systems. While expensive you can buy seats that open into beds.

I wouldn't compromise kitchen and storage space to gain bunks while leaving front unused for sleeping. Also, the limited 1/3 access to bunk area will make changing the beds that much tougher.

I've seen pictures of Ducato with a slide located at door. That works OK to add living space; but I'd pass on that too. KISS principle works best for me.

By the way, 2-adult plus 2-children sleeping is my goal also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts