Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
For $200 you might be able to get a local mechanic there to go the site and do an assessment for you. Perhaps a small repair shop or post an adv in craigslist.

I typed "Utah" into the forum search bar and it might be that some forum members are in the area for you to contact.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
831 Posts
I had a problem with that rear curtain, too. A tiny nit-picky detail, but if he wasn’t careful with what shows…
For what it’s worth, I think those curtain rods are magnetic and might have just slipped a little on one side.
The build does indeed look like all lower furniture is done with 80/20.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For $200 you might be able to get a local mechanic there to go the site and do an assessment for you. Perhaps a small repair shop or post an adv in craigslist.
Agree. But that really doesn’t provide anything in the way of information on the build components and build quality which was the reason for my original post trying to find the original owner/builder.

While most posters seemed to fixcate on the color (not a problem for me) and price (a BIG problem for me) what turned out to the biggest issue was lack of information on the components. So . . . It’s pretty much a dead end unless I miraculously find the builder or a forum member near Salt Lake that has some time on their hands to take a look see.

Everyone take care. Hope to be back on the road in the new Backroader soon.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey Steve! Where in Utah is this? I moved to Las Vegas so if it's somewhat close in southern Utah, I wouldn't mind stopping over for a look and getting some more info for you.
PM sent

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I just want to know why you fixate on this van
Well . . . At this stage I’m just curious.

In order to get me un-fixated🤔, if anyone can point me towards a 2019/21 118/136 under 50k miles ProMaster for an out the door price of $35k I’d be interested (and thankful, because I’m spending too much of my valuable retirement time hunting a vehicle). Why those parameters, because that’s what I want.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
509 Posts
Any of us would be happy to own it at a certain price. Figure out your worst price that he could possibly accept and lob it over. (Of course, you have to be fine with walking away.) Tell him that you’re building a lot of risk into the price since everything with the vehicle mechanically and build-wise is an unknown and also the color draws a lot of attention that you normally don’t want in a camper. Might not want to be resolute in your offer if you still have some wiggle room. Odds are he will at least try to counter with his bottom dollar price, which may still work for you. I think the reaction to the color here is probably pretty representative of your average buyer and therefore it may sit on the lot for a while.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Do you know anything about electric, water, etc?
No, and that was reason for my original post.
I’ve found this ProMaster 114 on a used car lot in Utah. The dealership knows next too nothing about the build, it’s just a fancy used car to them. I’m wondering if anyone on the Forum recognizes the build and knows who did the conversion? I’d really like to get some build details before I get too interested. Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well . . . At this stage I’m just curious.

In order to get me un-fixated🤔, if anyone can point me towards a 2019/21 118/136 under 50k miles ProMaster for an out the door price of $35k I’d be interested (and thankful, because I’m spending too much of my valuable retirement time hunting a vehicle). Why those parameters, because that’s what I want.
Understood, Steve.

I own a 2017 136 low roof with 44250 miles currently. Its clean and well maintained. I converted it myself into a simple camper with bed and garage area, xps insulated walls and charcoal colored upholstery through out. I could definitely do $35K and probably give you a better deal than that. Located in Virginia. This is not a for sale ad, just lobbing it out there, as I am casually seeking a 159HR due to my family growing in size (cat and dog). Pending my wife's approval of course.
Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Grille Hood

Plant Rectangle Interior design Shade Vehicle

Window Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grille

Car Vehicle White Grille Hood

Wood Interior design Flooring Floor Building

Automotive tire Black Wood Textile Rectangle

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Agree. But that really doesn’t provide anything in the way of information on the build components and build quality which was the reason for my original post trying to find the original owner/builder.

While most posters seemed to fixcate on the color (not a problem for me) and price (a BIG problem for me) what turned out to the biggest issue was lack of information on the components. So . . . It’s pretty much a dead end unless I miraculously find the builder or a forum member near Salt Lake that has some time on their hands to take a look see.

Everyone take care. Hope to be back on the road in the new Backroader soon.
They could easily take some photos of the components used and send them to you.

For some reason I think that I saw that van on IG when it was being built. It could be a different one but the yellow sort of stands out.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
509 Posts
Any of us would be happy to own it at a certain price. Figure out your worst price that he could possibly accept and lob it over. (Of course, you have to be fine with walking away.) Tell him that you’re building a lot of risk into the price since everything with the vehicle mechanically and build-wise is an unknown and also the color draws a lot of attention that you normally don’t want in a camper. Might not want to be resolute in your offer if you still have some wiggle room. Odds are he will at least try to counter with his bottom dollar price, which may still work for you. I think the reaction to the color here is probably pretty representative of your average buyer and therefore it may sit on the lot for a while.
Also:

I wouldn't expect that he'd ever put you in contact with the last owner for any build questions since he'd probably reveal how much he got for it (he might offer to contact the last owner with any questions you have).

It's probably likely that the original owner took a bath on the trade-in. Maybe the owner was financially distressed or just had to unload it fast, but I can't imagine what kind of beating I'd take if I tried to sell my conversion to a dealer. If I were forced to, I'd probably tell him how many thousands in materials that I had in there figuring the labor is a near total loss and that would probably be around my bottom dollar price. Maybe a little lower if I was desperate.

Therefore, if I were going to put in an offer on it, I'd figure out the book value for an empty yellow 118 van with that year and mileage + your best estimate of the materials in it and then add a little bit for dealer markup. He probably bought it with the hope of a huge payday since the valuation of these things is kind of arbitrary, but he'll probably settle for a little profit to get it sold.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,984 Posts
Any of us would be happy to own it at a certain price.
Not in that garish color. It's bad enough driving around in such a BIG vehicle (even my 118 is huge by regular car and SUV standards) but add that horrible color to the mix - even if it was given to me free of charge I'd sell it immediately.

It's probably likely that the original owner took a bath on the trade-in. Maybe the owner was financially distressed or just had to unload it fast, but I can't imagine what kind of beating I'd take if I tried to sell my conversion to a dealer. If I were forced to, I'd probably tell him how many thousands in materials that I had in there figuring the labor is a near total loss and that would probably be around my bottom dollar price. Maybe a little lower if I was desperate.
You'd likely be better off going to CarMax than a regular dealership. When I was seriously considering selling/trading my van their cash offer was $2-3K above any nearby dealers, with none of the drama.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
509 Posts
Not in that garish color. It's bad enough driving around in such a BIG vehicle (even my 118 is huge by regular car and SUV standards) but add that horrible color to the mix - even if it was given to me free of charge I'd sell it immediately.
That’s what I’m saying. We’d all be very interested at a certain price. $25,000, $2,500, $250? I’d turn around and sell it too, but I’m sure the dealer factored in the color in his price negotiations and Steve should too if he’s neutral or even likes the color.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts