Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting certain options with my van, and I haven't found any that are close to what I want, from dealer stock. But, it seams there are some good deals to be had on remaining 2014 models. How long does it typically take to receive the ordered van? Also, is it hard to get them to come off the price, since I'm not taking one from the lot?

I'm really liking what I'm reading about the PM. I've had a Sprinter. And like many, I enjoyed it when it ran. When it didn't, it was very costly, and time consuming, to acquire parts, even when I did the work myself.

The Nissan gets poor mileage, plus it's butt ugly.

The Transit may be ok. But, I want the rear sliding, driver side door the PM offers. As well as, the Euro-born diesel. I want the mileage and the torque, as I will max out the tow/haul limit from time to time, while towing a small cargo trailer.
I'll drive it about 60k miles a year, mostly highways, with about 1500# of tools/gear.

Any input/opinions would be great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you can stand the time to get an order, it is the best way to go. Autonation or any fleet dealer will give you the fleet pricing on an order with a $1,000 deposit. I ordered mine in Mid August of 2014 and got it in early January of 2015. I added lots of options including the diesel in a flame red color. 4 to 5 months is the usual delivery time. Could not be happier.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I ordered my sandstone 136" HT diesel in March, I got what I wanted so the price was good as well as $1000 cash from Ram, and $3000 from the dealer. I emailed all the dealers around me to bid on my specifications and am getting the options, color, and price I want. I pick it up Monday. Caution...... I was told the wait would be 8-10 weeks but it was 18+ weeks to delivery. 5 weeks after the build date! Not a problem if you are a patient person.... I'm not. BTW the dealer gets almost no information. Mine was good about sharing what they knew but they just don't get updates. All you will find out is the build date, VIN, and when it shipped. Not very good on FCA's part. I think it is the best way to go regardless.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Yes! Dealer rep called me yesterday afternoon and said it was there 30+ miles away, and they could prep it this morning and I could pick it up about 3 pm today. Unfortunately (well, really it doesn't matter) I have a family event about 2-1/2 hours in the opposite direction beginning at 5 pm so I said "Monday" I'll post pictures ASAP and my build begins Tuesday I guess. I'll have lots of questions for the experienced here!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Awesome

He RD....... Great News. Know you'll be stoked!! My replacement is "going to the freight yard" today. Dealer said anywhere from 1 -3 weeks, maybe. Ha. I bought the PM exclusively for work with no thoughts of anything further. Now, probably going to convert it enough for travel and some camping as well as work. Will have to make a bunch of pesos to justify another to work out of, HA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up on the long wait. I'm going to do more research to see if I can find one on a lot somewhere, and get it shipped in.

·
Registered
625 Posts
How long does it typically take to receive the ordered van? Also, is it hard to get them to come off the price, since I'm not taking one from the lot?
As noted in my signature lines, ordered mid February and it was 16 weeks until delivery. That's been about the usual for most folks for awhile. (poor RD had to wait a bit more.

As for pricing, I couldn't get the dealers around here to do much for me. The biggest one in the NW would only go $700 below invoice. At least my local dealer agreed to match that. So yeah, paid quite a bit more than finding something off a lot, but I searched nearly everywhere and was not finding a PM that had what we wanted and didn't have what we didn't want. So, we ordered.

For my experience, the wait and cost was worth it to get it just the way I wanted.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I couldn't wait so I went in to the dealer Saturday morning to watch the Tech prep my new PM. The dealer's service manager welcomed me into the service area right past the "Employees Only!" sign and I introduced myself to Brian. He had just got his computer up and was connecting it to the Van. I asked some newby questions and he spent time to make clear that they had three Promaster trained techs (small dealer) of which two were also Promaster diesel trained techs. He was primarily a Cummins diesel tech and promaster trained for the rest of the vehicle. I was impressed with his clarity, obvious intelligence, care in working as I watched, and willingness to let me poke around a vehicle that had just been pulled in off the truck from Mexico. I won't make you laugh by relating all I asked but I did ask about the diesel throwing codes. "The engine has to get the latest flash update and this one from the factory may get one if the computer shows it needs it" "We have not had any diesels with problems except needing an update" "Your van will get driven about 10 miles and alignment gets checked along with everything else" After a half hour I knew I was being a distraction so I looked over the van one last time and went home.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi to all,
i ordered my PM in Feb 10. 2015 and delivered May 7 2015
picked up on May 8 2015.
Silver , 159", HR, diesel
need to be repainted right side , because slide door completely in different silver color
need adjustment of steering wheel , not straight.
rear cargo light not working (bulb is not a problem)
driver mirror is shaking when driving on highway
not happy how transmission perform, 3 & 4 gear
85% i have to use manual mode to shift 3&4 gear
( please share your experience about using diesel transmission, ideas and fixes )
I did 5000km about 3000 miles
in general happy with my PM

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welllllll, my new 2016 PM, that the dealer said was @ the rail yard,on 7/23 is still not here. IN FACT, they don't know where the
#%&#& it is!! It's either @ the body shop in Mx, or ???????? What a great way to run company, especially when you're replacing a LEMON!!! Almost out of patience, Still recovering from a torn rotator I got climbing out of a loaner van in the ice, as it had no running boards, cause it wasn't mine, mine was @ the dealership!!! Amazing, will call in the ESQ if nothing happens SOON. Sad part, is this is the best van I have had in over 40 years in the business to work out of! Good Grief!!!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Don't buy any lottery tickets, your luck isn't with you right now. I finally called Ram customer care and with the VIN they could tell me where it was (on a truck), and a possible arrival date. Warning, you will wait about 5 weeks from the "build date" to arrival at your dealer, DAMHIN. My dealer didn't know where it was- nothing. You should see that van in a week or a bit more. In an age where I can get a $5 item shipped from China, free postage and tracking it should be possible to know where that van is! Shameful. I been through it, I feel for ya.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts