Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm 6'2" and was staring at the headliner until i lowered my seat frames about 4"...much better...these things are make for italians not americans

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good job on doing that, I wonder how many people haven't done this yet that were having the same problem as you.
Ram could have done a better job with the seating position

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've only got one short test-drive to go by, but somehow, lowering the seats doesn't seem consistent with simultaneously having enough legroom while still being able to reach the steering wheel. What's your seating position like?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Lowering seats a considerable amount may affect how seat belts fit and how air bags protect the driver and passengers in a crash.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1-i sawzalled them and took out about 4", then rewelded them...i'll post pics of the interior tomorrow...that, with the new fiberglass partition wall, makes the seating position much more comfy...with ample legroom
2-the comment about the airbag might be valid, moreso on a shorter person though

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Body proportions can vary significantly between individuals, even if exactly same height. Some have longer torsos and shorter legs, versus others having shorter torsos and longer legs. I've run into this while adjusting racing bicycles to fit different people comfortably. Guys who fall at ends of bell curve often have to order custom bicycle frames to fit their unusual proportions.

Car seats must be designed based on averages so as to fit the largest number of people, with rails often moving seat up as seat is moved forward for shorter individuals. However, if a man has short legs and long torso this won't work well. Likewise if a guy with long legs and short torso moves the seat back for proper pedal reach he will end up too low. And obviously arm reach also varies making a comfortable reach for everyone near impossible -- unless cars have adjustable steering wheels and pedals also in addition to adjustable seats.

Personally I like seats that adjust in height because my body proportions are not average.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the seats still have the ability to go front and back, up and down, but i have them all the way down and all the way back at 6'2", which isnt huge by todays american standards

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can your arms reach the steering wheel, though?

I'd love to see that "selfie" ... picture of you with hands on the wheel in the new seating position.

Most steering columns are just bolted to the bottom of the instrument panel cross-beam, and there is always a flexible joint in the shaft at the bottom. There just might be the possibility of making up some spacers and using longer bolts to get the steering column at a better angle. If there's no adjustment ... we'll make an adjustment. My car has a non-adjustable seat cushion angle and it was sitting too flat for me. 2 longer bolts and a few washers to slip underneath the front of the seat tracks and the adjustment was made ... much more comfortable now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've spaced my steering wheel down about a 1/2 inch or so. It brought the angle a little more vertical. I don't wanna feel like I'm driving a friggin bus.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i modified the factory one and made a mold, so that i could pop them outta fiberglass...i can sell them for $600 unfinished, meaning no paint. The one if have i can sell with the black covering on it for $725...i'm building one with a door in it for my van, that will have an electric actuator to open and close it :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what i did was...
i drew a line around the seats, side and top, cut that line with a plasma cutter, pushed the seats back to where they were comfy, tack welded a couple pieces into place to hold that position, removed the wall, welded in all the new pieces, and then used that to make a mold for fiberglass pieces...huge pain in the ass, but necessary if you are over 4'11"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Body proportions can vary significantly between individuals, even if exactly same height. Some have longer torsos and shorter legs, versus others having shorter torsos and longer legs. I've run into this while adjusting racing bicycles to fit different people comfortably. Guys who fall at ends of bell curve often have to order custom bicycle frames to fit their unusual proportions.

Car seats must be designed based on averages so as to fit the largest number of people, with rails often moving seat up as seat is moved forward for shorter individuals. However, if a man has short legs and long torso this won't work well. Likewise if a guy with long legs and short torso moves the seat back for proper pedal reach he will end up too low. And obviously arm reach also varies making a comfortable reach for everyone near impossible -- unless cars have adjustable steering wheels and pedals also in addition to adjustable seats. Must have gone to seat coliege

1 - 20 of 32 Posts