Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95% of hot days for me are spent in a dry climate. I've used swamp coolers in houses here in southern Utah with good results. Has anyone mounted a TurboKool evaporative cooler on their roof? It looks like a nice option that does not take much power to run and will be effective in most circumstances. It takes a 14X14 hole for installation.

thanks to all who gave advice on insulating floor/ceiling to give me maximum standing room.

halcannon

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I did that bucket demo in response to the cost of the TurboKool $615. I can buy a rooftop AC for that! The advantage is you would be able to run it because it’s power requirement will be low enough. You get good results in DRY air.

Notice that at 90º and 70% humidity there is little or no cooling going to happen.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,074 Posts
Hi,
There are a couple of examples of DIY evaporative coolers used in RVs at this link (one of them is RD's cooler):
http://www.buildagreenrv.com/design...ooling-and-air-conditioning-for-a-camper-van/

We have a roll around evaporative cooler that we use in our house for occasional hot days, and it works pretty well as a living room cooler. I tried putting it in our van conversion. Placed it between the driver and passenger seats with the outlet aimed aft. Opened the driver and passenger windows and the windows in the back of the van for good flow through airflow. It was a little dissapointing -- it did offer some cooling, but (for reasons I've not been able to figure out) it did not seem to do as well as it does in the house.
This is the cooler: https://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/products/air-cooler/honeywell-evaporative-air-coo-cl25ae

The Turbokool looks really interesting to me -- if it works as claimed, it would provide good cooling with battery and solar only. Hopefully someone will give it a try and report back.

Gary

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am wondering this too. The AC roof unit might be the one thing I really dont want to buy for the build. They are so expensive for what they are. And loud etc...

I saw this unit at home depot. My thought was sticking it by the slide door either open or with just the window open. Then have a Maxx air fan exhausting in the rear of the van to help get good air flow.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hessaire...porative-Cooler-for-250-sq-ft-MC17M/301312132

We are moving to AZ next year, and probably in the fall anyway so Im hoping to not have to buy a roof AC right away. If something like this cooler would work thatd be great. Really like that I could use it off shore power. Would work for when the dog is in the van when I run into a store.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,074 Posts
I am wondering this too. The AC roof unit might be the one thing I really dont want to buy for the build. They are so expensive for what they are. And loud etc...

I saw this unit at home depot. My thought was sticking it by the slide door either open or with just the window open. Then have a Maxx air fan exhausting in the rear of the van to help get good air flow.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hessaire...porative-Cooler-for-250-sq-ft-MC17M/301312132

We are moving to AZ next year, and probably in the fall anyway so Im hoping to not have to buy a roof AC right away. If something like this cooler would work thatd be great. Really like that I could use it off shore power. Would work for when the dog is in the van when I run into a store.
Hi,
I think the HD cooler would be worth a try. One of the reviews says it cools their pop up camper well.

I'd buy it during hot dry weather, do a test right away, and return it if it does not do the job.
I think the challenge is going to be getting enough air to flow through the van to make it work well.

Please let us know if you do test it.

Gary

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
......cut......

Notice that at 90º and 70% humidity there is little or no cooling going to happen.

I was just testing my A/C overnight to determine chance of running from batteries, and my last reading in early morning was with ambient at 78 F but 90% Relative Humidity. Not much cooling under these conditions either from swamp coolers.

The van had gotten so cold inside that all the windows were completely wet. I'd bet that most of the heat load was from condensation forming on all the glass (15-passenger Ford window van with lots of glass area).

Today heat index is expected to reach around 106 F in part because of high humidity. Not a great day for swamp coolers, or small A/Cs for that matter.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
mrshowtime3,
If your move to AZ is after October 15th you should be fine until mid-May. The South of AZ is much lower elevation so Norh of the Mogollon Rim is cooler all year. If your move is to the PHX area you are going to love the “winter."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts