Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2500 159 HR, gas
8 Posts
We are planning out our 2017 Promaster conversion to a camper, and I was wondering if anyone from Wisconsin has done one. If so, what info can you share as far as the DMV registration process.
Not sure this will be helpful because I don't know the "true" answer for what to register it as, if that is your question, but as a cargo van it meets the definition of a Class C Light Truck, which is what I registered mine as (I just bought it and am working on the camper conversion). A friend who is farther along in her conversion and using it as a camper registered hers as a plain old automobile, and so far she hasn't been hassled about it.

I think technically as a camper it meets the WI definition of a Motor Home. Here's the link to the plate on the DMV site and here's a link to the statute definition. However, it looks like it's a light truck if it's dual use as a truck and a camper.

I couldn't be bothered to call the WI DMV for the answer :), and the dealer filled out the paperwork for light truck. In hindsight I should have called because annual registration for a motor home is about half the price.

The registration process during Covid is all online or by mail, but it's simple. I had to send in the previous owner's title and title application by mail so it took about 3 weeks to get my plates.

·
Registered
2017 Ram Promaster 2500 159 EXT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure this will be helpful because I don't know the "true" answer for what to register it as, if that is your question, but as a cargo van it meets the definition of a Class C Light Truck, which is what I registered mine as (I just bought it and am working on the camper conversion). A friend who is farther along in her conversion and using it as a camper registered hers as a plain old automobile, and so far she hasn't been hassled about it.

I think technically as a camper it meets the WI definition of a Motor Home. Here's the link to the plate on the DMV site and here's a link to the statute definition. However, it looks like it's a light truck if it's dual use as a truck and a camper.

I couldn't be bothered to call the WI DMV for the answer :), and the dealer filled out the paperwork for light truck. In hindsight I should have called because annual registration for a motor home is about half the price.

The registration process during Covid is all online or by mail, but it's simple. I had to send in the previous owner's title and title application by mail so it took about 3 weeks to get my plates.
Yeah, so far ended up being a non-issue. Mine is somehow registered as a regular car. I have it properly insured through Safeco, so I'm not going to worry. It did take me almost 6 weeks to get my plates though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts