Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. The geniuses at my local tire store cross threaded 2 of my lug bolts after doing my balancing. I was able to get one out, chase the threads, and install a new bolt, but the second snapped off before I could get it fully removed.

I'm a bit hot under the collar about it, as you can imagine, but before I go buying a new hub with all that that entails, I thought I'd ask around. I've not done many bolt extractions of this size... particularly not ones that involve a bolt cross threaded bad enough to break off the head.

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
well, that's a difficult one, since sounds like the tire is on. The technique that comes to mind is threading as much of a nut on as possible and welding to the remaining stud. Don't know how much stud you have protruding.

·
Registered
569 Posts
There are many ways, depending on the metalurgy of the hub and bolt.

Welding on a bolt might be possible, but depending on how cross threaded it is it might break off too. If there is enough of the bolt left you might just be able to thread on two nuts and skip the welding. Since it is broken off I will assume you can get the wheel off. Heat applied to the hub to slightly expand it might allow the bolt to be loosened, but you don't want to weaken the wheel hub, so you must be gentle.

You might be able to drill it out (carefully). If you can drill out the center you might be able to heat the hub (carefully) and use a large extractor.

Depending on the value of your time and comfort with these processes, maybe buying a new hub is the easier option.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Not for nothing, but I no longer replace wheel bearings since the knuckle and hub from junkyards are like $50 each and come with the bearing and with the abs sensor.

Another approach would be to do nothing. 4 will certainly hold the wheel on, and the missing weight is pretty close to the axle centerline and probably wont throw off the wheel balance much.

Another tip: after several side of the road nightmares, jumping up and down on a **** lugwrench, I NEVER let any shop torque my lugs. I use antiseize on all of them, and I tighten them myself - tight enough not to back off but not so tight I cant get them off myself.

And to date, not a single one has ever backed off or required heat or required a tow truck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think the cross threading issue is due to someone didn't hand thread the lug bolt back in, instead they thread it in with a impacting gun to save few second. I take mine to America's Tire and watch them install every time, and they always hand thread the bolt, then impact gun and finish with torque wrench.

·
Super Moderator
9,020 Posts
If the ruined it they should fix it at their expense!

Reactions: RV8R

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Because it is cross threaded with enough force to shear the head you are not getting it out. Buy a salvage yard hub as Kip suggests and move on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts