Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my stock double front seat installed into the rear of the van, now we need a new front passenger seat. With a new baby only a few weeks out, we need something pretty quick and easy to bolt in.

I see these guys http://www.discountvantruck.com/Promastercaptainchairs/Promasterhighbackseats.htm and I can't help but wonder if that'll be a straight forward, bolt-in swap.

Has anyone tried either that brand of seat, or something similar? Did it bolt right to the stock mounting points? And does it use a stock, OEM style seat belt receptacle? I'm tempted by minivan seats from the junkyard, but the unknown amount of fabrication and seat belt receptacle options and our time crunch means a bolt-in solution will be best.

Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
They specify they are 'Promaster' seats, and list the bolt pattern. Measure your existing pattern. If in doubt, give them a call .

·
Registered
399 Posts
RV captains chairs are generally designed with a standard bolt pattern to fit a universal seat base. You will need to buy a base of some type and it is unlikely you will find one that has been designed to fit the Promaster factory seat interface.
Generally you have to drill new holes in the vehicle floor and install any reinforcements required. All I see on that site is an expensive universal kit for under floor reinforcement. Everything they list under Promaster is just universal parts for RVs and conversion vans. There are a few specify risers for front seats in older Fords, GM, and Dodge vans to adapt expensive Adnik power seat tracks but I doubt that will ever happen for PM. I've seen some pre-engineered systems for the rear popular vans but they are probably pricy. Seems like most conversion vans are doing hack jobs. See this site for some more ideas:
http://superior-seats.com/Van-RV-Bases-Accessories

Given that you probably want integrated seat belts, it's going to be best to use the factory holes and welded in nut plates. At least you know these points have been designed to withstand the impact loads from the seat belts. I don't know the bolt pattern of Promaster since I don't own one yet, but most of the standard seat bases have a small footprint and bolt pattern. To overcome that, I have always used a large, thick plate (at least 1/4" steel or 1/2" aluminum) to pick up the factory holes and then bolt the universal seat base to the plate. Finding the right receptacle for the factory seat belt may be tricky. It would be best to get one from a promaster seat, but it may not be adaptable to the seat base. Many later vehicles have complicated pre-tensioner mechanisms and you just need a short, rigid strap and latch.

Curious how this comes out for you. I'm still considering ordering a PM some day, and the driver swivel with passenger seat delete option seems like a cost effective way to go. I'd put in a Flexsteel quick release base on the passenger side so I could install a passenger seat, but still be able to temporarily remove it and pull a wheelchair into the passenger seat space. Unfortunately, it looks like you don't get a seat belt with passenger seat delete option so I'd have to deal with that. On the plus side, there would be no occupancy sensor for airbag to deal with. If I get a chance I'll measure the bolt pattern for the Flexsteel and Adnik style quick release bases I have. I'm curious the dimensions of the PM's passenger seat bolt pattern as well, and if the floor is completely flat in that area so you can bolt down an adapter plate.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Here is a replacement lowered seat base available from eurocampers.com (out of stock right now) I have put in the dimensions. The floor slopes upwards to the front of the van so the base is tapered as you can see.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
bw,

I find it interesting that in many RV campervans built on a Promaster chassis, use the factory seats (with factory sliders). In almost any other campervan conversion, the van seats are replaced with RV seats.

If you look at the thousands of RV class C units built on an Econoline chassis, they all put in RV seats, and removed factory seats are sold all over the Internet. Not so with the PM. Winnebago, Roadtrek, etc. all use the factory seats in their conversions.

You're going to need to do lots of research to determine what will work (legally and insurance-wise) for transporting a child in a Promaster..... very complex issues! I would think the closest to legal and insurable would be to put the child in a child seat strapped to a front factory installed passenger seat.

Best wishes on your "bundle of joy"... no, not the Promaster, the baby!

Ed

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. The seat bolt pattern on the floor of the passenger side is 13" by 17.75", and the front mounts are almost 3" higher than the rear. I now have that same bolt pattern drilled into the rear of the van, with the double seat waiting to get bolted in later this week.

Bummer that there is not a direct bolt-in replacement available.

I think the easy solution would be to source the lower height pedestal, and then mount a seat swivel that has a lot of real estate for custom seat mount drilling. That would allow the install of a normal sedan type seat.

I'm undecided between adapting the stock seatbelt receptacle versus using a generic receptacle that I got on Ebay. Not sure how big of a deal it is.

Hopefully these lower pedestals arrive back in stock soon!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I spoke with the guys at discountvantruck.com. Turns out that those seats are just universals. They mount to an adapter that then mounts to the stock slider. I'm now hunting for a stock slider, pedestal, and seat belt receptacle. Hopefully the junk yard search websites can help with that. Heck, we'll probably just grab a stock seat for now, and swap to something better after the kid arrives.

Eurocampers says another 6-8 weeks for the lowered pedestals- our kid should be here by then!

·
Registered
46 Posts
RD, Thanks for the schematic drawing.

Has anyone who has bought the first wave of the lowered seat bases run into any difficulty? VanUpgrades.com also has the lowered bases for $229 plus s/h with a 3-4 week wait. We have a CTA swivel which went on the original base very smoothly but I'm getting a report from VanUpgrade that the lowered base is for Sportscraft swivels and he didn't know if it would work on the CTA. My question; Is the bolt pattern the same on the lowered base, on the bottom and on the top as the original base.
If so, then any swivel that fits on the original base will fit the lowered one.
Thank you for any assistance.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
No reports yet. I’ll go out on a limb here and say.... Yes the Sportscraft lowered base has the same top dimensions and holes as the origional. My marked up schematic has the dimensions hand written in from my measurements of the origional base and all match except the height of course. eurocampers.com says no but I think they are incorrect and your swivel will fit. When we find out and if I am wrong I will buy your lowered bases at a modest discount so you don’t get stuck (first 2 bases only!) as I have one Sportscraft swivel on the driver’s side and will ad the passengers when the bases arrive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you RD. I am with you regarding the probability of the holes working. If the lowered seat base fits the seat and if our swivel fits the base and the seat, then in all likelihood ......... Sounds like a math story problem or better yet, logic. The wait for either Eurocamper or VanUpgrades is still 4-6 wks. We shall see. As it is, my husband is in the nosebleed section when I am driving. But that swivel gives us another 10 square feet of living space; more or less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts