Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading this (click) has me thinking. Plenty of restaurants around here. Easy to come by the fuel. Is it as easy as they make it sound in the linked article? Any reason to immediately throw up a red flag and call BS?

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Fine for old MBZ diesels and others but you risk destroying your engine and warrantee by doing it to your Promaster just to save a few bucks. Not even worth considering doing with a new diesel & emission controls.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Egad NO. This diesel will not even run on biodiesel mix above about about 20% and 5% is the suggestion. The emissions system in this van works but without major demolition or removal it just is not going to work as a fat burner. This van is so clean and emits so little pollutants or soot that it probably cleans the air in any city that has smog.

From the Diesel owners manual.
"Use good quality diesel fuel from a reputable supplier in your vehicle. Federal law requires that you must fuel this vehicle with Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel fuel (15 ppm Sulfur maximum) and prohibits the use of Low Sulfur Highway Diesel fuel (500 ppm Sulfur maximum) to avoid damage to the emissions control system. For most year-round service, No. 2 diesel fuel meeting ASTM specification D-975 Grade S15 will provide good perfor- mance. We recommend you use a blend of up to 5% biodiesel, meeting ASTM specification D-975 with your diesel engine.This vehicle is compatible with biodiesel blends greater than 5% but no greater than 20% biodiesel meeting ASTM specification D-7467 provided the shortened maintenance intervals are followed as directed.”

Could it be done, probably. Would it make sense NO. Buy an old Tractor from the 1970’s or a Mercedes car and process the oil for that. It will still not be free and not as clean as this engine I’m guessing. I’ve had friends do it with their VW’s and Mercedes and all have gone back to buying diesel.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Having owned a restaurant and diesels for years I have been approached by folks that wanted to do this. Most did not have the mechanical skills to build a great system. I would often give them 50 gallons or so to play with. A few years back when diesel got very expensive, used fry oil became a hot commodity. There were even guys with a vacuum truck that snuck around at night stealing all the oil from the waste containers. When we first opened our restaurant we had to pay to have it removed, the last year we were open; we were paid about $1 a gallon and had security containers to guard against theft. Most used oil from restaurants has been used up or scorched and quite contaminated with burnt food crumbs. It would take an elaborate filtration system to clean this enough to use a motor fuel. The flow properties of vegetable oil require quite high temps to equal flow rates of diesel. Most good quality systems have separate heated tanks for the wvo. I personally dont have space to spare in my van nor a filter system at home to store used oil. Time is money so they say, yesterday I passed a card station (Blu) that had diesel for $1.98 a gallon. At that price its hard for me to want to make my own fuel.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Thanks for the post charity’s van. There is probably a place for veggie oil in diesels but the conversion as I read it is not just to pump it in but needs a bunch of treatment and additives. At the price of diesel and used veggie oil there is no incentive for me to even use it in my 2004 tractor with no emissions on it. I think this is one idea we need to put to rest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use a Bio-Pro 190 http://www.springboardbiodiesel.com/biopro190/biopro190 since 2008 and make fuel for all of my diesels and home/shop oil furnaces. I have over 500,000 miles on our 2005 Sprinter, 2007 Cummins, and 2006 Duramax. My Kubota runs fine on it as well.

I haven't tried it in the Promaster and with fuel so cheap I'm not going to.

Bio-diesel is not the same as just running waste veggie oil.

Reactions: RDinNHandAZ

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use a Bio-Pro 190 http://www.springboardbiodiesel.com/biopro190/biopro190 since 2008 and make fuel for all of my diesels and home/shop oil furnaces. I have over 500,000 miles on our 2005 Sprinter, 2007 Cummins, and 2006 Duramax. My Kubota runs fine on it as well.

I haven't tried it in the Promaster and with fuel so cheap I'm not going to.

Bio-diesel is not the same as just running waste veggie oil.

all of the above vehicles are pre emissions
no wonder they run fine on it

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Correct! An old Sprinter t1n is not a new Promaster diesel!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts