Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my PM with the factory aluminum wheels. Well I just went to rotate my tires this weekend and found out that my spare is a stock steel wheel. So much for rotating the spare into the set. Are they all like this, or did I get the wrong spare?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Never owned a vehicle where the spare was aluminum, so it's what I expected on mine.

What we should be complaining about is our nice aluminum wheels come with the plain lugs nuts, used on the steel wheels.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Dwight, can you post a picture of the wheel with the plain lug nuts? Pictures I've seen, including the PM brochure, show what appears to be typical chrome lug nuts. I wonder if that's a separate option.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've heard others on here say their aluminum wheels came with plain nuts too.

They look like GM nuts do, when the chrome sheet metal cover falls off. From the 80s when GM made cheap-o nuts.

There is no chrome nut option.

I buy aluminum wheels not so much for looks, but because I know the wheel will spin true. Hub caps are good for nothing but causing vibrations.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Odd, lost my ability to edit, I should clarify that I'm not fond of the lug nuts, looks like grey paint and one is already peeling.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Has anyone actually had the lugs loose? They look like they would be lug bolts, not nuts. I haven't had them loose, so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,482 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, they are lug bolts.
Can you tell if the aluminum wheels have steel inserts? That's a gnarly looking cone on that lug for an aluminum seated rim. One of my peeves is lug nuts/bolts that will gall up an aluminum seat. I won't use a lug that's been on a steel wheel on aluminum. The steel wheel can gall up the cone. Then you just transfer the damage to aluminum.

FWIW, I like Gorilla lugs. Very nice and durable chrome. Don't know if they have bolts though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can you tell if the aluminum wheels have steel inserts? That's a gnarly looking cone on that lug for an aluminum seated rim. One of my peeves is lug nuts/bolts that will gall up an aluminum seat. I won't use a lug that's been on a steel wheel on aluminum. The steel wheel can gall up the cone. Then you just transfer the damage to aluminum.

FWIW, I like Gorilla lugs. Very nice and durable chrome. Don't know if they have bolts though.
I doubt if any aluminum wheels have steel inserts. I have had aluminum wheels on many cars and there has never been a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I didn't pull the tire off, looking at it from the front, I didn't see any parting marks, but you usually don't see them anyways. Would have to pull the tire and acid the back.

Steven

·
Registered
399 Posts
...I didn't see any parting marks, but you usually don't see them anyways...
No problem. Thanks anyway.
I'm just curious about the aluminum wheels. Not sure I've ever seen a cast wheel rated for 2600+ pounds, and certainly none with only 5 bolts. Virtually every 3/4 ton American truck runs 8 bolt wheels and, if aluminum, they're forged. Based on the styling, Promaster aluminum rims don't look forged.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I doubt if any aluminum wheels have steel inserts. I have had aluminum wheels on many cars and there has never been a problem.
I've had a few with inserts (Panasport, BBS, and Ronal).

I swap rims every fall and spring for snows. To justify the price of a Promaster I'll have to keep it 20 years. That's 40 chances to chew up the rim as opposed to the typical 4 tire changes in a vehicle's lifetime.

Car rims have much lower load ratings. And, I've seen lots of older wheels with chewed up seats. I think most have induction hardened seats these days, but I'd still prefer steel seats or forged aluminum for a heavily loaded application like Promaster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts