Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so my promaster I just bought has the old, crappy default radio in it (not the uconnect, it didnt have a screen at all). So my dad and i found an old backup cam and the default Uconnect radio/screen at a junkyard and ordered them for $150ish. Anyways, long story short, I was excited because i would hopefully be able to play the thing from my phone soon.... Little did I realize that it seems to ONLY have bluetooth! Yes, I can play from bluetooth, but the audio quality is worse and itll be frustrating when I have other people in the car who want to play but not hook up their device via bluetooth. Any way around this? Does anyone have a way to play over AUX or USB?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
On your radio there is a USB port in the cubby just to the right of the steering wheel and the UC5 radio uses that too. It allows music to be played from a thumb drive formatted in Fat32. That is the only way I have been able to play music from outside my UC3 radio.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
There is a separate wire that connects to the UConnect5 radio... it has both a USB and an AUX input jack. In the van it is located in a pocket to the right of the steering wheel. If your van doesn't have it, it must be available as a new or junkyard part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PHP:
There is a separate wire that connects to the UConnect5 radio... it has both a USB and an AUX input jack. In the van it is located in a pocket to the right of the steering wheel. If your van doesn't have it, it must be available as a new or junkyard part.

There is an aux in there? are you sure? The USB does not work with phones, Ive tried :/

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
Here's the pinout for the UC5 radio

PIN 6 on that connector is Audio In, and PIN 7 is Audio In Ground.

The harness should have wires in those pins that go to the cubby to the right of the steering column where there us a USB port and AUX IN jack.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure there is supposed to be an aux? I only have a usb, just checked. I took a photo and can upload it if you want. the USB as far as ive heard only works for thumb drives and it definitely doesnt work with my iphone.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
Given that you had the base radio, maybe the aux in port is only included on vans with the UC5 radio......if so, connecting an aux input jack (ebay item) to the pins I mentioned will work to feed sound to the AUX button on the radio.

Me no comprehendo, iPhone...... me speak Androido!

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Just getting a uc5 from a junk yard doesn’t really mean much if it’s not for a Promaster. I may be wrong but I don’t think they are interchangeable

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,042 Posts
Just to be clear, with a UC5 equipped van (2017), there are two sets of USB outlets. Near the driver's right knee is a cubby with AUX and USB connectors. The USBconnects to the radio via a dedicated USB cable. The AUX goes into the wiring harness (as shown on the pin out). On the passenger side of the center stack, there are 2 (I think) USB outlets. These are power only.

There have been a number of threads on the challenges of expanding the built in radio capability. So much of the design is integrated to factory wiring AND factory computer programming, success with each project has been a roll of the dice.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just to be clear, with a UC5 equipped van (2017), there are two sets of USB outlets. Near the driver's right knee is a cubby with AUX and USB connectors. The USBconnects to the radio via a dedicated USB cable. The AUX goes into the wiring harness (as shown on the pin out). On the passenger side of the center stack, there are 2 (I think) USB outlets. These are power only.

So much of the design is integrated to factory wiring AND factory computer programming, success with each project has been a roll of the dice.
Anyone know if'n that's true for the City? {I'm still finding the in and outs of this buggy I bought last month, 2015 model; UC5}, I've got USB and Aux in on the console (in a position I'm really not happy with, being an electrical installer) next to and above the shifter.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My 2017 *had* a UC3 and also has a USB port in this location. I never noticed it before. I didn’t see an aux port, but I didn’t look too closely.

My take on a UC5 upgrade is you are likely to encounter differences in wiring harnesses and Body Control Module programming, not to mention the UC5 reportedly has an enable code that’s doubtfully available on junkyard pulls. Aftermarket radios like Kenwood and Pioneer have proven success but not as tight vehicle integration. Likely some headaches ahead, but I’d be interested in what you find out on this road less travelled.

P.S. I think the reason I didn’t see an aux port is there isn’t one :). Makes me want to find the part number of the other cubby plate so I can replace mine and wire it to my aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just getting a uc5 from a junk yard doesn’t really mean much if it’s not for a Promaster. I may be wrong but I don’t think they are interchangeable
Its specific to the promaster, but the wires still dont fit. Im going to have to return it, I guess. All I want in my vehicle is a usb/ aux plug haha. I cant believe thats an issue in a 2014 of any vehicle. So anyways, sounds like if your phone works with the USB plug, that it wont for long. IOS (iphone operating system) stopped supporting the USB plug for IOS 10/11 is what my dad read online. I have ios 10 so that would explain why I get an error on my radio when I try to swap to USB.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts