Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a utility trailer for my PM, wondering if anyone has found a way to turn off the backing guide warning alarm? Since the trailer is always in the "very close" zone, the alarm goes off whenever reverse is selected. Having the camera on is important, the alarm is annoying!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I installed my MOPAR trailer harness a while back and included in the bundle is a "PAM disable circuit"disable wire w/ pin ready to be inserted at the PAM module on the passenger side rear pillar.

I don't have the Park Assist Module in my window van & since it's a black box trailer module interfacing with the PAM module I have not one clue if it's a 12V enable signal or just being pulled to ground whenever a 4 or 7 pin trailer harness gets attached.

Included is a JPG of the instructions provided w/ kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is interesting- I had the MOPAR wiring installed by my dealer, that should have been connected. They didn't mention anything about it. Is there some switch at the dashboard or is it automatically engaged when the trailer plug is inserted?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I don't 'have the assist' option but it is straight forward? Before should'ving on the dealer, pop the rear door pillar passenger side black plastic liner out and check for yourself, 7 or so screws and pry it away from the center then top down...

The OEM optional harness is wrapped with waxy fleece tape and there should be a 24~ inch loose wire with large flag label "PAM disable circuit" or somesuch printed on it clipped into the PAM module wiring plug, with the wire running back to the harness near the jumper plugs on the tail light.

The factory harness trailer lighting module gets its 12V from under the drivers feet next to the battery; just uses van brake/turn/tail light circuits to control separately powered trailer lighting circuits. Remember some 30' trailers are lit up like Christmas trees and the extra wire length and high current draw would not be healthy for the stock chassis wiring... So pretty sure there are no other wiring or dash board switches involved.

EDIT: some trailers (like mine) have a house battery that will accept charging current through the harness, though with the voltage drop from long wire runs even a 12-hour drive only partially recharges the trailer battery, so the 20 amp fused circuit has its limits.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed a hitch mounted bike rack that made the back up sensor alarm sound whenever I reversed. My solution was to just unplug the sensors; rear bumper passenger side, just tucked up in there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently the tech who installed the wiring didn't exactly follow the instructions so the senior tech is reinstalling. Also, the onboard computer needs to be updated to be aware that the wiring is there. Not something I could have done myself anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed a hitch mounted bike rack that made the back up sensor alarm sound whenever I reversed. My solution was to just unplug the sensors; rear bumper passenger side, just tucked up in there.
I think I should have this option but can find how to activate the system?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts