Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sooo ready to pull the trigger on a PM but trying to wait on the diesel to see if I will like it. If they wait much longer the Transit with their bigger diesel will be available. And I will go that route.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I am sooo ready to pull the trigger on a PM but trying to wait on the diesel to see if I will like it. If they wait much longer the Transit with their bigger diesel will be available. And I will go that route.
If they came at the same time ,which one would you choose and why?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually was calling around about this today. Registered here to chime in.

According to the commercial sales guy at a place in Nashville, who I called after many other calls around the US, he said they won't even start building them until April now. No idea as to why the continuing delay. He, along with everyone else, doesn't even seem to believe that will happen.

So they keep kicking it down the road. I am in the same boat. Wanting to see/drive a diesel but getting tired of waiting.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Who's to say the Transit diesel will be available on day one? They won't start building the Transit as it stands now till around middle of March...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm just speculating, but I have a hunch that the delay is not for mechanical or supply issues. It could be a marketing decision.

They may be waiting to see what trends will happen to gas vs. diesel fuel prices come springtime. It would be a huge corporate gamble to introduce the diesel if the operational costs tilt in favor of the gas vans.

They can afford to wait until just before the Transit hits the market to play their hand.

Would you buy the diesel, knowing it would cost you more to operate / maintain than the gas version? The margin is very thin right now and this could easily be the reality by the time summer is here.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The only reason I haven't purchased a PM is mpg. 16-17 mpg does not impress me. If the diesel gets 25-30mpg that is expected then I will be driving a PM!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm just speculating, but I have a hunch that the delay is not for mechanical or supply issues. It could be a marketing decision.

They may be waiting to see what trends will happen to gas vs. diesel fuel prices come springtime. It would be a huge corporate gamble to introduce the diesel if the operational costs tilt in favor of the gas vans.

They can afford to wait until just before the Transit hits the market to play their hand.

Would you buy the diesel, knowing it would cost you more to operate / maintain than the gas version? The margin is very thin right now and this could easily be the reality by the time summer is here.
I agree, the diesel version may not ever happen?
Mazda has just delayed again the diesel for the 6 for North America, & VW is showing a concept in Detroit of a Passat "Blumotion" gas 1.4 TSI that they project to achieve higher EPA MPG than their diesel. I am off a bit in the weeds with my subject, but as someone who not long ago was quite interested in a diesel van, I am losing interest fast.
Many manufacturers that at one time had plans for diesel vehicles in the US are delaying or shelving them. They don't make good economic sense when you look at their total cost versus the same vehicle with a gas engine, unless you drive lots of miles, or need the attributes a diesel provides.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To justify the purchase of a $40,000 van it needs to reduce my operating cost and be reliable.
I drove over 100K miles last year in my chevy extended van. yes I get 15 mpg at 75mph or 17mpg at 60mph, but I have a 6.0l gasser that has treated me right. last year I replaced tires, plugs, fluids, shocks (45 minutes for all 4), one switch on the evap system ($20) and some lights.
these chevys are available at $7-10K with that you can run like this for a 2-3 years without issues.

What I am looking for is reduced operating cost, maintaining reliability and not taking a huge hit for depreciation.

I just do not see that in v6 car engine powered promaster van.
or
The newer 6-cyl sprinter does not do it because of mpg and maintenance cost.

I really need a reliable 25 mpg diesel replacement or I need to wait.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To justify the purchase of a $40,000 van it needs to reduce my operating cost and be reliable.
I drove over 100K miles last year in my chevy extended van. yes I get 15 mpg at 75mph or 17mpg at 60mph, but I have a 6.0l gasser that has treated me right. last year I replaced tires, plugs, fluids, shocks (45 minutes for all 4), one switch on the evap system ($20) and some lights.
these chevys are available at $7-10K with that you can run like this for a 2-3 years without issues.

What I am looking for is reduced operating cost, maintaining reliability and not taking a huge hit for depreciation.

I just do not see that in v6 car engine powered promaster van.
or
The newer 6-cyl sprinter does not do it because of mpg and maintenance cost.

I really need a reliable 25 mpg diesel replacement or I need to wait.
I have had similar experience with my 03' Express 6 liter. It has been very reliable, but a gas hog.
You could get close to 25 MPG in the 4cyl Sprinter from what I have read. Will it be reliable though?

·
Registered
6 Posts
thinking about the 4cyl sprinter but maintenance cost is stopping me from pulling the trigger.

Problem with the sprinter is everything saved in fuel goes to the shop in repairs so you don't get ahead at all.

also the sprinter 4 and 6 cyl price difference is only $1000 new but I feel sure that I will take a bigger hit when the time comes to sell it because most people like a bigger engine. so bigger long term hit on cost of ownership to save the gas money.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Car engine? All vans in the last 30 years had car engines in them.
Then came the sprinter,nice but over priced because of the star.
Bonus is with the Promaster ,no more hunched over like in the Chevy.
The gasser engine has already proved itself and gets better mileage
then the Chevy.

The Diesel will even be better in the mileage department,BUT there is something
going on with the fuel prices and the emissions. For some reason I feel the small
Diesel is going to get killed off in the future after everything that I am reading.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I forgot to add that the gasser in the Promaster is putting out more power than the
old small block V8s in the 70s and 80s.

·
Registered
166 Posts

I had a similar thought except involving the EcoDiesel RAM. Both are expected to cater heavily to the fleet/work market, so i have a feeling the Diesel Promaster may of been kicked further down the road to goose 1500 Diesel sales....

1500 sales are far more important to RAM than PM IMO, especially as the 1500 is now breathing right down silvys neck

·
Registered
6 Posts
How long is that V6 going to run in a van doing 10K some months even 15K miles and how much will it resale for in 4 years with 500K miles on it? will the depreciation + maintenance be more or less than fuel savings?

I need a 12 foot bed and 3000lbs payload, normally don't run more than 1000lbs but it must be available.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The only reason I haven't purchased a PM is mpg. 16-17 mpg does not impress me. If the diesel gets 25-30mpg that is expected then I will be driving a PM!
Who is expecting that much difference in MPG between gasoline and diesel in same size van?

Every vehicle available in both gas and diesel suggest real MPG difference is far less.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
How long is that V6 going to run in a van doing 10K some months even 15K miles and how much will it resale for in 4 years with 500K miles on it? will the depreciation + maintenance be more or less than fuel savings?

I need a 12 foot bed and 3000lbs payload, normally don't run more than 1000lbs but it must be available.
The 159wb has a 12' floor.
As for resale that I do not have a clue on that because this is new.
My guess if you bought a new Chevy and a new Promaster today
the Promaster will be more of a demand down the road because of the
room and mileage there for asking price.
My guess, but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Who is expecting that much difference in MPG between gasoline and diesel in same size van?

Every vehicle available in both gas and diesel suggest real MPG difference is far less.
Chance you can kick me now as you know I am for Diesel, but I back out
and ordered a gasser. It is a 159wb with quite a few options and will
be here in March .
The reason I ordered gas is the late release of the diesel, cold weather starting, the super high prices for diesel right now and the emission thing
on the Diesel. This scared me off.
The more I read about the v6 the more I started to like it.
Thanks Chance for all your info that you have provided here!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a similar thought except involving the EcoDiesel RAM. Both are expected to cater heavily to the fleet/work market, so i have a feeling the Diesel Promaster may of been kicked further down the road to goose 1500 Diesel sales....

1500 sales are far more important to RAM than PM IMO, especially as the 1500 is now breathing right down silvys neck
If the 4 cyl. 3.0 PM diesel is having issues with emissions, why doesn't Chrysler use the V6 diesel that is already certified in the US in the PM? Do they not have a transmission that can handle the torque available for FWD application? Does each engine/transmission combination need to be separately certified by the EPA?

·
Registered
473 Posts
If the 4 cyl. 3.0 PM diesel is having issues with emissions, why doesn't Chrysler use the V6 diesel that is already certified in the US in the PM? Do they not have a transmission that can handle the torque available for FWD application? Does each engine/transmission combination need to be separately certified by the EPA?
Yes each difference in drivetrain in each vehicle has to be EPA certified. No auto trans available here that can take the diesel in fwd applications.
Also, the 3.0 VM Motori diesel used in the pickups is not a commercial engine, or was ever designed to be one. Also it's way more expensive to build

1 - 20 of 72 Posts