Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok these things been out for a few weeks now. I'm sure someone has did there first hand calculation by now. That is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger. The suspense is killing me lol.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i've been trying to find some real world MPG's but it seems like no reviewers have been able to do it and no one has picked up their PM's to even report back on gas mileage

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know what Ram expects the Promaster to deliver for fuel efficiency. The Promaster is supposed to be in the mid-20s range for mpg. That is pretty vague though.

The Promaster is actually exempt from EPA ratings, not sure why, so there is no real official mpg rating.

Trucktrend.com estimates the fuel efficiency at 17 or 18 mpg.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what Ram expects the Promaster to deliver for fuel efficiency. The Promaster is supposed to be in the mid-20s range for mpg. That is pretty vague though.

The Promaster is actually exempt from EPA ratings, not sure why, so there is no real official mpg rating.

Trucktrend.com estimates the fuel efficiency at 17 or 18 mpg.
I think they say mid 20's for the diesel motor. 17-18 ain't bad but how bout loaded with shelving ladders and materials. That's my main concern.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think they say mid 20's for the diesel motor. 17-18 ain't bad but how bout loaded with shelving ladders and materials. That's my main concern.
Wish I could help & I'm interested in knowing too. It's been all speculation thus far.

I was told that FedEx has secretly been using these for the past year and that they've been averaging low 20's. If this is true and considering how much stop & go those vehicles do, I'd be happy with those numbers. I really hope it'll be closer to 20 with a moderate load!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Everyone drives differently, using different road conditions, speeds, loads, and so on. A standard test is needed, like EPA tests, but unfortunately that's not available.

As a rough guide, I'm basing my expectations on a RAM 1500 pickup with same V6 engine. Both vehicles weigh about the same, and at lower speeds the PM's larger size shouldn't make much difference in wind drag.

Smaller and lighter PMs with gasoline engines have taller gearing which should increase MPG somewhat, but I expect it will be close unless it's a low roof 1500 model under highway conditions.

For what it's worth, Winnebago has estimated MPG for the Travato, which is based on largest PM, to be in the 17 range. I'll assume that's mostly highway driving like most RVs. And that's for the longest 3500 model with high roof and loaded to almost 9,000 pounds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone drives differently, using different road conditions, speeds, loads, and so on. A standard test is needed, like EPA tests, but unfortunately that's not available.

As a rough guide, I'm basing my expectations on a RAM 1500 pickup with same V6 engine. Both vehicles weigh about the same, and at lower speeds the PM's larger size shouldn't make much difference in wind drag.

Smaller and lighter PMs with gasoline engines have taller gearing which should increase MPG somewhat, but I expect it will be close unless it's a low roof 1500 model under highway conditions.

For what it's worth, Winnebago has estimated MPG for the Travato, which is based on largest PM, to be in the 17 range. I'll assume that's mostly highway driving like most RVs. And that's for the longest 3500 model with high roof and loaded to almost 9,000 pounds.
Is that With the diesel version tho? I can't imagine Winnie using the gas motor for something so big and heavy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would hope the diesel version gets at least 25-30mpg, like my 2003 Sprinter. There's no reason to buy a Ducato Master if it gets less than 25 when you can get a diesel Transit or Sprinter that does. Getting 20% better mpg over the 250k life of the vehicle more than makes up for a few thousand more in initial sales price.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Is that With the diesel version tho? I can't imagine Winnie using the gas motor for something so big and heavy.
Yes, it's for the gas V6 with automatic. The Travato is projected to reach market soon, before diesel is available. Winnebago has also shown the "Trend" Class C RV based on the one-ton PM 3500 cutaway chassis. And that's initially a gasoline engine too. I'd expect 13-15 MPG highway for that unit because of its huge box-like profile.

Keep in mind that average RVs are not driven much, with average annual mileage around 5,000 miles. And even if smaller RVs are driven more, it's still hard to justify diesel costs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You would think rams could do better on mpg since there smaller. They are the same motor but I believe there less hp and trq than the pm motor. Also pms are tall. Lots of wind resistance. I know I dropped 3 mpg less when I installed my ladder rack and ladders on my sprinter. And I have the regular roof.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why is the Promaster exempt from EPA ratings? That just makes it annoying to find reliable information. Although the EPA is usually a little wrong anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The ram 1500 version of the 3.6 is more hp and torque than the pro master version, and it also sports the 8 speed transmission.
I own one and it sees about 17 mpg city driving and 25 hwy average right now. It's a crew cab 4x4.
Don't think the pro master will quite see that for economy without the 8 speed

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ram 1500 version of the 3.6 is more hp and torque than the pro master version, and it also sports the 8 speed transmission.
I own one and it sees about 17 mpg city driving and 25 hwy average right now. It's a crew cab 4x4.
Yeah your right. Forgot about the 8 speed tranny. I bet these pms will get same as regular cargo vans. 10 mpg loaded lol. Now I'm thinking twice bout letting my sprinter go and wait for the diesel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah your right. Forgot about the 8 speed tranny. I bet these pms will get same as regular cargo vans. 10 mpg loaded lol. Now I'm thinking twice bout letting my sprinter go and wait for the diesel.
I can't seriously be the only person buying one of these!

Truth be told I haven't seen any of the PM's in action locally yet...just on the dealer lots.

They're a sexy kind of ugly!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When will yours be in builderbob? The dealer I went to had a guy trade two sprinters in for two pms. Your not the only one lol. You can be our guinne pig tho. J/k. And yes they are so ugly there cool looking

·
Registered
118 Posts
When will yours be in builderbob? The dealer I went to had a guy trade two sprinters in for two pms. Your not the only one lol. You can be our guinne pig tho. J/k. And yes they are so ugly there cool looking
The dealer quoted me 8-12 weeks. If it's on the side of 8, it should be just before the new year...12 puts me right before february. I've never ordered a vehicle before so I have no idea how this will all go! It will certainly have the possibility of being put to the New England winter climate test right out of the block!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Doesn't crew cab 4X4 pickup weigh more than smaller models of PM? Or larger ones for that matter? Granted 8-speed added a couple of MPGs compared to previous 5-speed, but PM holds advantage of being FWD. That should offset 6- versus 8-speed for the most part.

On highway PM should not do as well as your truck unless driven slowly. City driving when loaded equally shouldn't be that different though. I'd settle for 17 city and 20 to 22 highway on gasoline. I expect dIesel should do 25 to 30 percent better under equal conditions.

1 - 20 of 736 Posts