Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently built a kayak carrier that attaches to the hitch on my 3500 with Parksense. The kayaks are close enough that Parksense activates the "warning light". Disconnecting the blocked Parksense sensors doesn't work... warning continues. The manual hints there is a way to selectively disable sensors but refers you to the dealer... anyone know how to disable/bypass select Parksense sensors?
Best,
Phranc

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does it matter??

I recently built a kayak carrier that attaches to the hitch on my 3500 with Parksense. The kayaks are close enough that Parksense activates the "warning light". Disconnecting the blocked Parksense sensors doesn't work... warning continues. The manual hints there is a way to selectively disable sensors but refers you to the dealer... anyone know how to disable/bypass select Parksense sensors?
Best,
Phranc
Humnnn. Unless you are driving backwards all the time, what difference does it make since the park sense is only active in reverse. (I can see some really good reasons for it to be active all the time, but that would indeed make towing a trailer or using one of the hitch luggage racks a problem that would require a disable feature).

I have the Curt hitch and I have left the hitch and ball in the socket without any park sense problems. BUT, I have a 6 inch drop hitch so the ball is below the level of the bumper and so close that it doesn't activate the sensors (kind' a like what happens when you back over a parking lot stopper).

The trailer I pull is a 4 X 6 low bed utility trailer and it doesn't show up well in the camera at night and cannot be seen in the mirrors, but.. when backing up, if I am careful, I can listen to the speed/tone of the park sense beeps to tell if I am staying straight. As soon as I put it in reverse I get the long distance beep if the trailer is directly behind me. If either front corner of the trailer gets about 6 inches closer to the bumper, IE I am not backing straight, the beep changes to the intermediate distance sound. At this point the trailer tail lights just starts to show in the mirrors so I know which side and I can steer accordingly. when the beeps switch to long distance I can straighten the wheels.

Since this is a very mentally tiring way to back up, I have a WIFI wireless backup/rear view camera system on order. Hope to mount it on top of the bumper directly over the hitch. Won't know if it will fit until I get it.

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cut Right,
With my setup (kayaks within 6" of sensor), the ParkSense senses a system error and illuminates the "service indicator" light on the dash that stays on while I drive... and it disables the audible ParkSense beeps when reversing. Having the "service indicator" light on isn't a big deal other than I feel like an idiot ignoring an idiot light. If I could disable my middle two sensors I might restore partial ParkSense functionality... but that is probably what the lawyers don't want... partial functionality of a safety system.
Best,
Phranc

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Phranc,

I guess you didn't like my "drill holes in the kayaks" idea!

Seriously, I think the best plan would be to remove the rear bumper cover and see how the wires for the parksense are connected. It may be that you could cut one wire to the two center sensors and splice in a cord to turn them off with a switch in the rear corner column of the van. I would try to cut one wire going to one sensor and see if it generates an error. if it does, it easy enough to splice it back together, If no error, then you could put a switch on the two center sensors. A DPST switch would "cut" two wires for the center sensors.

The aftermarket sets I've seen seem to have sensors that plug in, but the harness for the OEM parksense seems to look like all one harness. A look behind the bumper cover (about 9 screws, easy to remove) would be easy.

Ed

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Phranc send me your vin number and I'll see if I can look up the wiring schematics for your specific vehicle. I'll let you know what you can disable.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Hey Phranc send me your vin number and I'll see if I can look up the wiring schematics for your specific vehicle. I'll let you know what you can disable.
Now there's a plan!

When I asked about the wiring for the Parksense at me dealer last week to see if I could figure it out for Phranc, they told me that some diagrams they have to request via email. I had a feeling they were giving me a line, but they do good service work so I didn't push it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Now there's a plan!

When I asked about the wiring for the Parksense at me dealer last week to see if I could figure it out for Phranc, they told me that some diagrams they have to request via email. I had a feeling they were giving me a line, but they do good service work so I didn't push it.
I am able to look up mine but I don't have parksense so it wouldn't help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
2014 specific??

Cut Right,
With my setup (kayaks within 6" of sensor), the ParkSense senses a system error and illuminates the "service indicator" light on the dash that stays on while I drive... and it disables the audible ParkSense beeps when reversing. Having the "service indicator" light on isn't a big deal other than I feel like an idiot ignoring an idiot light. If I could disable my middle two sensors I might restore partial ParkSense functionality... but that is probably what the lawyers don't want... partial functionality of a safety system.
Best,
Phranc
Ok, spent several minutes with a piece of plywood at the back of my van with the engine running to blocked the center two sensors. Never got the service indicator light.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cut Right,
Best,
Phranc

Any pics of the kayak carrier? I have mine on the roof but it's a pain getting them up there.

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now there's a plan!

Eddie,
I must admit I am now an expert at removing my bumper cover... I've had it on/off multiple times trying different options with disconnecting sensors, seeing if I could relocate them etc. I hadn't thought to disconnect at the individual wire level yet... between your idea and Catalin's info, I may have a solution.
Thanks!
Phranc

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Any pics of the kayak carrier? I have mine on the roof but it's a pain getting them up there.
Eric,
I've attached a couple pics... there is more detail on how I constructed the carrier as well as the upper door hinge attachment points at www.vancave.wordpress.com
Best,
Phranc

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, spent several minutes with a piece of plywood at the back of my van with the engine running to blocked the center two sensors. Never got the service indicator light.
Cut Right,
Thanks for checking that out... curious that you weren't able to repeat a service indicator condition mentioned in the manual (manual refers to ice, dirt etc). I'm always puzzled when systems don't act consistently across different vehicles.
Thanks,
Phranc

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also get the annoying park assist alarm when my bike rack is installed. I noticed on a long trip that the system would sound the alarm whenever in reverse for a while, but then would eventually give up and light the service warning indicator. It would be silent for a day or two, then start up again. It is a real distraction when backing up and trying to monitor the backup camera, mirrors, and view out the windows.

I solved the problem by sticking a small patch of foam weatherstripping over each of the sensors. The foam absorbs the ultrasonic signal and prevents detection of the bike rack. I just peel the foam off when I remove the rack.

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
z120pi,
Interesting approach... I'll have to give that a try.

I may have stumbled on a "solution" while camping with my son this weekend. I loaded the kayaks and headed down the road grimmacing everytime I looked at the "idiot light" that was illuminated on the dash. When we encountered some hills, I pressed the "Tow/Haul" button while driving to hold the gears a little longer... The light stayed illuminated. I pulled over to pick up some firewood and left the engine running and "Tow/Haul" engaged... when I re-engaged "Drive" the idiot light was gone. At first I didn't think anything of it... but on the return trip I did some experimenting.

1. Kayak rack in place, shift to "Drive", select "Tow/Haul" - Idiot light stays on
2. Kayak rack in place, select "Tow/Haul", then shift to "Drive" - no Idiot light

Now this doesn't stop the constant "BEEP" when "Reverse" is engaged so I look forward to trying z120pi's solution.

So... my good friend Procrastination saved the day once again... I just couldn't muster the courage to mess with the CANBUS system... now I'm glad I didn't... I wish the manual was a little clearer about "Tow/Haul".

Many thanks to everyone that chimed in on this thread!

Best,
Phanc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts