Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been home in awhile, has there been notification on a solution yet? It's getting pretty annoying ending up in neutral at stop lights. No issues if I don't have to stop ever. I don't remember the recall number.

Edit: guess I could check vin info for updates. Sorry to bother folk

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 2300 Ext Cab
10 Posts
Shifter Cable Recall Update.

I just received notice from FCA by mail that a remedy for this condition is now currently available. F.Y.I

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my cable fixed yesterday while in for other servicing. They first told me they could only order 1 every 2 weeks, and I was 10th. on the list. But when I showed up they "found" the parts and did the fix.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ramcares contact here has said more parts are now available, so recalls should progress faster.

Any chance you got a look at the replaced cable?

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 2300 Ext Cab
10 Posts
I called my local Business Link representative at the dealership to file my recall claim. I was told that I would receive a call from the dealership to schedule an appointment once the replacement part ships in from FCA. Still waiting on the call...

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
552 Posts
I called my local Business Link representative at the dealership to file my recall claim. I was told that I would receive a call from the dealership to schedule an appointment once the replacement part ships in from FCA. Still waiting on the call...
I'm in the same boat as you are. After 4 calls leaving messages at the local dealer I received a message that they have ordered the part and will call me to schedule when parts come in.
I don't know if this might be a few more days or even weeks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't get a boat. They didn't offer to call me back. Had a wait list and weren't adding more to it. I was supposed to call them back in a couple-few weeks but, since hearing FCA is releasing more parts now, I'm going to call Monday and see where they're sitting. I'd recommend trying the same and seeing if they got more over the weekend or are expecting a shipment during the week. From what I understand, the hold up was on parts not necessarily anything else timing related

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, I didn't see the old or the new cable. You don't suppose they scammed me do you? Or FCA since they didn't charge me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah. I'm sure they swapped it, whether damaged or not. I'm just really curious to see what a damaged one might look like. I actually experience occasional issues where it won't shift to or drops immediately back out of drive (never has an issue going to reverse, just doesn't necessarily engage if shifting past neutral. Cluster will show N and shifter feels slack. Hasn't failed completely, but sometimes need to move the shifter multiple times before forward gears will engage), but I tried to peek at mine and don't see anything noticably mangled while its installed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Were the recalls pretty quick for anyone else? I was told it would take the better part of 5 hours for both, then was in and out in less than half that time. Not complaining about the time saved. 2 hours and change is nothing to a 5 hour wait plus lunch break. Failed multiple times to shift to drive after stopping for gas on the way back though. Could be unrelated. They said my computer was not communicating with their tools, so could be something wonky happening there. Doesn't look like my cupholder was taken off like I've seen others have happened. Forgot to empty it (it's my catch-all) and it seems undisturbed. Maybe they've figured out how to streamline the process and can do it all from underneath, or possibly did the fan and forgot the cable?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Just had both the cable and fan done yesterday. Drop off to their ready call was 2.5 hrs. I called the dealer the first time about a month ago and they ordered the parts then. One part took longer than the other, but don't remember which one.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad yours was a similar timeframe. Less worried it was a rush job. Mine was also scheduled over a month ago. Thought maybe it just moves fast once they've handled a bunch of them. Benefit of not getting in for awhile. The shifter was supposed to take an hour to 1.5 and the fan 3.5 to 4 hours. I know mechanics like to pad the minimum time required, but physical time on it at under 2 hours seemed fast with the amount of times I heard it would be half a day or more. Made different appointments for a deeper look into the computer and transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't been home in awhile, has there been notification on a solution yet? It's getting pretty annoying ending up in neutral at stop lights. No issues if I don't have to stop ever. I don't remember the recall number.

Edit: guess I could check vin info for updates. Sorry to bother folk
I had mine done on Monday Aug 31st 2020. I called a local dealer a few weeks ago and gave them the information and my vin. They ordered the parts for the shifter and also the van. Had it back in 2 hours.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool 2ish hours seems right. Don't know why they stressed that it takes so long if it doesn't, but I guess I'd rather plan to be down for a full day than not plan on it

·
Registered
2018 136" Low Roof in ID
110 Posts
Wow, I just had both recalls (shifter cable and fan) done a few weeks ago. It took them about 10.5 hours. I think they hadn't done these repairs before...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Wow, I just had both recalls (shifter cable and fan) done a few weeks ago. It took them about 10.5 hours. I think they hadn't done these repairs before...
More likely they just didn't start on it right away. No way FCA would pay them for 10.5 hours. I suspect FCA only pays for 2.5 hours on both recalls combined, since that's what they quoted me up front.

EDIT: I just looked closer at the "bill" ($0). It says 0.5hrs for the cable and 1.2hrs for the two fans. Not sure if that's actual time or FCA's book time.

·
Registered
'17 136 HT Black
320 Posts
I've been on the waiting list for the fan module and transmission shifter cable for almost 5 months now. The dealer claims that the parts are back ordered due to covid. Unfortunately it's the only dealer out of 4 within 25 miles that work on the high roof vans, and I've had issues with them in the past.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts