Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any known issues for the Promaster? Things that are known to go bad and cause major problems? An example with a different vehicle would be the 2007-2009 Mini Cooper S cars. They have a serious issue with timing chain tensioners going bad and destroying the engine. Does the Promaster have any issues like that? If I'm going to spend 30K plus on a commercial van I'd like to do it with as much information as possible. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
At this point following a few issues related to first year production problems that have been addressed I'd say no known issues. Not that there are no problems since such a complex manufactured product will always have the potential for a bad part or an error in production. Pattern of failure? No.
My daughter is in the market for a midsize suv type of car and 30K does not seem like a lot to spend. You say 30k like that's big bucks for a big van. It isn't. Good luck with your purchase, let us kow what you get and what you do with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After being stung with the Mini I like doing my homework. Having a car worth eight to ten grand suddenly be worth only it's parts value because of an issue the manufacturer and dealers knew about is disappointing. 30K may be chump change to some but I'd still like to make sure I'm getting the most for it. Other than that, I'm glad to know there are no big issues with the Promaster.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Regarding engine issues, there's always going to be the one-offs. Someone will have a piston grenade itself at 5k miles while idling. Someone will have four fuel injectors in a row fail time and again. You get the idea.

The only thing that comes to mind, and its only been reported by a couple members here, is some issues with the flex plate cracking on the gas engine and automatic transmission combo. But realize, folks generally come to a forum and scream when there's a problem. You don't hear about the multitudes of folks that are driving along just fine.

The other small issues seemed to be mostly with the 2014 first year models. I remember a few folks having problems with water leaks from the top front marker lights. A few reports of mis-aligned rear doors (one currently being discussed). Overall though, nothing sticks out to me.

Regarding the engine side of things again, the V6 is their 3.6l Pentastar. Its basically the same engine that's been used in the Chrysler minivans for years. Some may say its overworked in a 9500gvw van, but that's what gearing is for. It should do just fine. It has been refined for many years, and has the advantage of being easily serviced because of the extensive knowledge of that engine. As for the diesel, it is a new creature to the North American shores, and it has gone through some teething problems in the early years. But it is based off a very solid commercial duty engine and transmission. The same combo is available in Mitsubishi Fuso trucks with nearly a 20,000# gvw, so I think it will survive just fine in a PM. Service could be a bit trickier though.

Oh and we have a 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S. Yeah, it was serviced for the timing chain stuff, but I don't see that has affected its resale value at all. (we have just put it up for sale; fun car, but we're going electric and replaced it with a BMW i3).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and we have a 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S. Yeah, it was serviced for the timing chain stuff, but I don't see that has affected its resale value at all. (we have just put it up for sale; fun car, but we're going electric and replaced it with a BMW i3).
Literally thousands of the Mini S's from 07-09 had the issue. Mine was serviced once for the issue when it was 2 years old. I didn't realize it was still a big problem until last October when it disintegrated, the timing chain slipped and the valves started getting beat up by the pistons. Repairs were estimated from 8K to 9K. That is why the cars value dropped so much. That is also why I'm asking about the Promaster. Since I'm buying rather than leasing I'm likely to keep it for a long time. It will be used to carry freight, pick up and deliver packages and carry supplies for my stores, as well as carry advertising on the sides. If there are any common issues I'd like to know about them, and fix them, before they become too expensive.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Given the number of these vans out there by now, there have only been one-off or scattered reports of bigger problems - and that's always going to happen. The engine and transmission are well proven; the number of Pentastar engines and 62TE transmissions out there has got to be in the millions.

Minor glitches? Sure. The brakes squeak. The rear suspension makes noise on sharp bumps or dips. My van is not daily driven and every time it sits for a couple of weeks between being driven, it complains that the left and right turn signal bulbs are burned out even though they're not (it sorts itself out the first time you use them). None of this is worth fussing about. The things that I like far outnumber the niggles.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
For the most part, there are no pattern failures with the van. Early issues (radiator leak, oil cooler failure, brake sqeal, running light leak) seem to have been resolved. I truly believe the two forum members with flexplate issues were a fluke.

I would get the gasser for cost, simplicity, ease of maintenance, but its your call.

Problems we havent seen are of interest to me. Anybody replaced a starter yet? Water pump? I own two, 180k and 160k, and I thought I'd be dealing with that kind of stuff. But I havent.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Kip, I know you are not inclined to as I have followed your diesel comments, but I wish you would add a diesel to the fleet to see what happens when the miles pile up. By the time I get through a year I'm only going to have 20K on mine. Perhaps there are some other high miler diesel owners out there, especially with the 2015 after the early emmisions issues, or someone who never had issues and is getting upwards of 200K on theirs.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Rd, I know. I thought about you when writing that comment. It's true, I have no great reason not to recommend the diesel at this point. Fuel prices now favor the diesel too.

In my defense, the OP is price conscious and $4000 is $4000. But I havent looked at new ones lately, perhaps a buyer can swing a better deal. I also got the vibe that hes going to do mainly local, short haul. As a general rule, diesels make more sense the more you use them. Or towing.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Kip, don't get me wrong either, I understand your reasons, the timing when you bought, and your business led you to do the right thing for you. I think the diesel is about $5K now! My real reason for posting to you was we do need to hear from high mileage diesel owners. I expect to put 20-25K a year on my van for many many years and won't see the end game until I am about 80+ Y.O. I probably won't hit 300K. A gas van can probably do that as I've had several +200-250k gassers with great luck, I own one now. This 3.0 diesel has a reputation for very long life (500K?) but whether the emissions package is working in 300K miles is an important question, perhaps not to the poster, but then perhaps it is. Someone who will put 150K a year on a vehicle must be out there. If something untoward should happen to one of those gassers, think about doing the testing for us!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Its probably a good topic for a different post, ultimate mileage. I put 100-120k on mine each a year, so I've started looking seriously at this.

The upper end mileage unknown, but I've come to find out that the only difference between the pentastar in the pm and the pentastar in everything else (except the 200 with stop start) is the oil pan and minor differences in the upper intake manifold. I am not certain, but I believe this is true of the trans/transaxle too. If that's so, then whatever the upper limit is you would just replace engines.

Other tidbits - the engine can come out through the front. Its a big job, but a shop I know did it in 17 billable hours. Junkyard search shows hundreds of low mileage engines. Cheapest I found was $600 for a short block, but a fully dressed engine is findable for around 1000-1200. Thats for a 2014 engine with under 40k, sometimes far under 40k.

So far as I can tell, theres not much else in the van that can go wrong. Rust doesnt seem to be a problem. Unlike many other cars and trucks, there's no crazy expensive components in the pm. I just learned that the catalytic converter on a chevy sonic is $1900. There are two on the pm, i think they are well under $500. Transmission can be had for $300. And as time goes by, these big assemblies will be less and less expensive.

So the upper mileage limit may be for past 500k. We shall see!

Reactions: swsl

·
Registered
228 Posts
diesel

I have 116k on my diesel in the 10 months ive owned it. I had transmission issue at 58k niles and now today at 116k. Thats 58k again. 1st time van was 5 1/2 months old. van is now 10 months old. Same issue, jumping out of gear and will not go into gear without a restart. Its back at dealer now. I have met only 1 other diesel owner with 100k miles. he had problem with his transmission also, his would not release from gear. Are there any owners of diesels with higher mileage? I have not met them yet

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I really like the van but could never recommend anyone buying one. I had so many problems and out of service days I regret my purchase.
I am guessing you were one of the first to buy a PM van? Correct? Early adopters often pay a price in Beta testing the work of the new employees at the factory (in Mexico). Your experience would be very different if you bought a replacement now.... that is a 2016-2017. All the early issues have been worked out. If you didn't buy it in 2013-2014 please respond and tell me I'm full of it but I have watched these issues go away. Advice.... never buy the first few months of production of any new product especially if you must rely on it.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,833 Posts
Does anyone know when the first one was built? My 136" HT build was 10-13 and appears to be the 4,556th one built. I accepted that I would suffer the factory's teething problems. They have been fewer than I anticipated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine is 9/13 and it seems I've had all the little nit-picking issues that seemed to pop up. I would buy another one in 17 or 18. I think they put this van out there just a little too soon...radiator, brakes and suspension bushing problems were asinine in my opinion and unnecessary due to not enough r/d...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Issues with 2014 2500 High Roof

Where do I begin?

Had the squeaky brakes replaced soon after I purchased this van in January of 2014.

Had the radiator replaced due to a leak. Was in the shop for 3 days plus.

At one point the steering nearly went out......the level of the power steering fluid had dropped to nothing and the rack up front had to be replaced. More days in the shop.

Sliding side door has been an issue since day one. Have had parts replaced twice and when it gets full sun on it on a hot day it's impossible to open the door from the outside.

After a long day at work today I started it up and went to put it in reverse and I was unable to get out of park. The shifter just flops around like it's not connected to anything. Had to have it towed to the dealer where it sits right now.

I have ~ 31,000 miles on this vehicle. Warranty is up at 36,000. Not sure what will happen to it down the road.

I'm seriously thinking of selling it while it still has relatively low miles and the body is still in good condition.

Has anyone on this forum heard of anyone else having an issue with the stick shift linkage?

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
Doesn't sound like your dealer is up to speed. I had my rad replaced, under warranty, while I waited. It took about 1.5 hours. Sliding door is probably a simple adjustment, squeaky brakes meaningless. Find a new dealer!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts