Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any good mechanics you have utilized for your Ram Promaster in the SF bay area?
I have a 2014 with 195k miles that I haven't done any larger repairs on in a while and I'm nervous theres some stuff I'm neglecting or just not noticing...
I'd like to have my van given the full run-down.

List of things I want inspected:
  • Break pads replaced
  • Rotors replaced (maybe turned?)
  • Serpentine belt (maybe expensive, maybe not needed?)
  • Emergency break line
  • Tires rotated or replaced (I'm due)
  • Fuel filter replaced? (maybe not critical)
  • Power steering fluid service? (maybe not critical)
  • Brake fluid
  • Radiator fluid flush
Here is where I got my list:

Does anyone else have any recommendations for things I should have looked at or fixed?
Are any of these not necessary?
Any other high mileage promaster owners out there want to comment on their experience?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
This is where we get all of our tire related work and alignments done (on all of our vehicles).

It is a local shop and we have had good experience.

I will say that the tire people get a wide range of customers in - many that buy strictly on price and I tend to buy on performance. As a result, I like to decide what tires that I want ahead of time and tell them that this is what I have in mind.

I have not used their other services because I tend to do some of those things myself, but do use them for alignments.

___

This mom and pop shop is down the street from us.

They tend to specialize in walk in repairs but also do the usual oil changes, etc.

Unlike a lot of shops, they don't gouge you on stuff.

I cannot speak for them for promaster related work, but for my (former dodge) minivan, the mechanic there figured out a cooling problem that neither I nor another shop could figure out, so I was happy.

__

Last on the list, I do work on van auxiliary electrical systems at my shop in Livermore.

Not the van starter electrical - just the add house power systems - stuff like solar / inverters, etc.

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
287 Posts
I used Don's Tire on Gilman in Berkeley as the installer for new tires after buying online from Tire Track. The price for the installation was reasonable and was the same as if I had purchased the tires from them. I can't vouch for their other services but they were communicative and quick. They also have tall bays, several other local tire installers couldn't take my business as they couldn't accommodate the height of the van.

I'm wondering if that maintenance list on caredge.com is generic or Promaster specific. You have the item "Transfer case fluid service" which I don't think is relevant to the PM. I would use the maintenance schedule directly from the owner's guide which you can find online in pdf.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not PM specific! But i think most of the items are relevant. Or at least cant hurt to do. I updated the list.
Thanks for the tips on where to get tires swapped. Hoping someone has a good PM knowledgeable mechanic for other stuff as well.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Thanks! This is great info.
I live in SF so its a bit of a trek, so I'm curious how long the tire shop takes for tire replacements usually?
They stock a lot of tires, and can get most the next day - so if you discuss it with them they will bring them in and work by appointment when possible.

There is a restaurant across the parking lot. Usually it takes about the same time as having lunch.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Im still hoping for a mechanic within 30 mins drive hah
It sounds like you are actually looking for a mechanic on the SF Peninsula, not SF Bay area?

People in the East Bay tend to not really associate themselves with being part of SF, but officially the SF Bay area covers nearly 2 hrs drive NS and WE.

_

There are a ton of mechanics along central expressway and 101. Just have to look in the older building areas, because no mechanic can afford the new tech building rent.

The biggest challenge on the SF Peninsula is that most of the building bays are very narrow and the doors aren't necessarily very tall.

__

That is why when I do van electrical build work for people in SF, I usually drive there and work on the street or in a parking lot.

I build the system itself at my shop and just install it there. This is one of the drivers that led to me focusing on modularly built van power systems.

As a side benefit, also makes them viable to ship across the country to customers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Harry!
I can get to east bay in 30M drive no problem:)
Of course the peninsula would be preferred, though.

The recommendations other gave here were awesome but they didnt include any mechanics for the things I listed above, just tires.
Was hoping for someone with some promaster experience or at least just someone experienced enough, in general, to give me an educated opinion :)

·
Registered
2018 Promaster 2500 159" High Roof
66 Posts
Great question--I'm looking for a great PM mechanic in the South Bay area--please share! Thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used Don's Tire on Gilman in Berkeley as the installer for new tires after buying online from Tire Track. The price for the installation was reasonable and was the same as if I had purchased the tires from them. I can't vouch for their other services but they were communicative and quick. They also have tall bays, several other local tire installers couldn't take my business as they couldn't accommodate the height of the van.
In early December I had an oil/filter change, break fluid flush & fill, tire & fluids inspection at Don's Tire Service. This was the first time I had service done there and came away very impressed. I purchased all the fluids myself, just to make sure that they were using the recommended weights/grades/etc. And this might have saved me a few bucks as well. For the first couple of services for my 2019 I trekked all the way up to Richmond to the big Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram/Promaster dealership, and while pleased with the work and customer service there, I was certainly looking for less expensive service. So I'd recommend Don's if it's convenient for you.

And on HippieGypsy's recommendations, I'll definitely use Don's when I get around to replacing the low quality Nexen tires that came stock on my PM.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there any good mechanics you have utilized for your Ram Promaster in the SF bay area?
I have a 2014 with 195k miles that I haven't done any larger repairs on in a while and I'm nervous theres some stuff I'm neglecting or just not noticing...
I'd like to have my van given the full run-down.

List of things I want inspected:
  • Break pads replaced
  • Rotors replaced (maybe turned?)
  • Serpentine belt (maybe expensive, maybe not needed?)
  • Emergency break line
  • Tires rotated or replaced (I'm due)
  • Fuel filter replaced? (maybe not critical)
  • Power steering fluid service? (maybe not critical)
  • Brake fluid
  • Radiator fluid flush
Here is where I got my list:

Does anyone else have any recommendations for things I should have looked at or fixed?
Are any of these not necessary?
Any other high mileage promaster owners out there want to comment on their experience?

Thanks!
I go to San Leandro Dodge for work on my Promaster. They service large fleets of Promasters and seem reliable. So far, I have only had oil changes and two recalls done, all fine. They are right next to I-880 at Marina.

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 159 WB Gas
12 Posts
I go to San Leandro Dodge for work on my Promaster. They service large fleets of Promasters and seem reliable. So far, I have only had oil changes and two recalls done, all fine. They are right next to I-880 at Marina.
I don't recommend the San Leandro Dodge dealer - the first visit there for an oil change they assured me I needed a transmission flush (the van had 40k miles on it and the owner manual does not say it is needed at 40k!), next oil change they insisted I needed a brake fluid flush. All they do is upsell and who knows if they are even doing the work!

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 159 WB Gas
12 Posts
I don't recommend the San Leandro Dodge dealer - the first visit there for an oil change they assured me I needed a transmission flush (the van had 40k miles on it and the owner manual does not say it is needed at 40k!), next oil change they insisted I needed a brake fluid flush. All they do is upsell and who knows if they are even doing the work!
I am still looking myself for a good mechanic (I am not partial to Don's because on another vehicle of mine they loaded the balances on my tires wrong and I got a flat within a few days of a tire repair) for check engine light/bad sensor repair in the Bay area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts