Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi gang.........

new to forum. thinking of buying a Promaster.

presently own a 2008 Sprinter 170 wb / High roof.

am considering the 158 / high roof Promaster, and wondering how they compare against each other .

was hoping to find a former Sprinter owner and hear his opinions comparing the two.

thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are current and former Sprinter owners posting on here some comparing them with ProMaster. Key sprinter into the search box at the top of the page and receive a thread/post list with descriptions.

Greg Hayden

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not a former sprinter owner but I was comparing the two before I purchased a Promaster. Aside front he irritating and as of yet unsolvable rear suspension and brakes squeaking, it's been a great van, although if you're over 6' tall consider where your line of sight ends up, on the Promaster I have to either have the seat leaning back or else hunch over to see the stop lights (I'm 6'2"), also if you are taller the cab is smaller than the Sprinter, so you can't have the cab/cargo area separator and still have room for your legs. Initially I didn't think this was a huge deal but it would have been nice in retrospect. Now there could be a bunch of things I may not have liked about the Sprinter but until you drive it daily some things just aren't apparent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
03 Sprinter owner and don't own but have test driven the PM 4 times now. Just did a 60 mile test drive today on a 3500 PM. Finally got it to hit 17 MPG but had to back it down from 70 to 65 to get there. Empty, all highway, with cruise set. What stood out the most to me:
The PM downshifts more. Feels about as relaxed at 65 as a Sprinter feels at 70-75.
The steering is lighter, more American than German. I prefer the slightly heavier German steering. I'm comparing the PM against my 03 and the 2013 V6 Sprinter I'm also testing. What are your thoughts about your current Sprinter? Any particular reason you're considering a switch?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sprinter vs. ProMaster

I traded my Sprinter 2500 hi roof, extended in two weeks ago for the 158WB, extended, hi roof ProMaster 3500 gas engine model. Run from the Sprinter and enjoy front wheel drive, tighter turning radius, plenty of comfort.
I chose the gas over diesel and average 14-16 mpg. We used to get 16 mpg with the Sprinter.
We are a Plumbing/HVAC firm and heavily loaded. Love my ProMaster.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a 03 sprinter 3500. The problem with the sprinter was the extreme high maintenance cost and rust. So now I am enjoying the pm 3500 159wb I like the handling and pick up power better then my old sprinter, also more room, it is worth the trade off for a little less fuel mileage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I still own an '03 Sprinter. I just had all the rust repaired on it because I plan on keeping it for another five to six years. Love the vehicle, but I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing as an additional work vehicle, a diesel PM once they become available. The 40k+ price tag on the Sprinters is a real turn off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
current sprinter owner

I too have a sprinter. 2006 T1N 141 WB hIGH ROOF. I love my sprinter! Im in the market for a second work vehicle and love the extra width of the PM. Im waiting for the diesel unit to come out before I purchase. I average 23mpg in my current sprinter with a 3400lb load city and highway. I will say that im light footed and drive very cautious of my mpg and I am usually at the same light with those heavy footed folks I just have more fuel than they do.
I must be very lucky because my operating cost have been less than $3000 per year including fuel, oil and tranny.
I will continue to read all I can until the release date. My reason for diesel over gas is motor life. I take really good care of my stuff and only drive 15000 a year so it very well could be my last work vehicle I need to buy unless I expand.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went from an 05 118WB Sprinter to a 118 WB PM and I like it a lot. It rides nice and is much quieter then my Sprinter was, especially at highway speeds. My best MPG so far on the highway is 19.5 with a light load. I'm 5' 7" and I fit into it nicely, but I can see the problem that taller owners would have with the windshield height. Also, while the PM's load floor is lower, it lacks the step at the side door that the Sprinter has, which makes it seem higher when your climbing in and out. The cab floor is a good 3 or 4 inches higher and so is the step on the two front doors. This doesn't bother me, but if you were a delivery person, climbing in and out all day, it could get to you. A new Sprinter was more then I wanted to spend and they no longer make the 118WB. that I have. Plus I have never been overjoyed with Freightliner's service. If I had to make the choice again, I would pick the PM again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have never been an owner of either a ProMaster or a Sprinter, but after some rides in a 2nd-gen Ducato and a Sprinter, both in their passenger versions, I can tell you the ProMaster is more comfortable. I also took rides in the Iveco Daily, the RWD Fiat van, and in spite of its harsher ride its seats were better and after all it provided a higher overall comfort than the Sprinter. On a sidenote, the Sprinter passenger versions have coil springs, which should be supposed to improve the comfort, but the Ducato had a smoothier ride and is also wider inside.

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
My camping neighbor has a Sprinter 2010 and looked at my PM with envy.

What he doesn't like about his Sprinter is what we read all over the place, that is: rust problems and high cost of maintenance.

He also likes the fact the the PM is FWD, a feature he would have enjoyed last winter on his ski journey in Utah.

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
I'm selling my Sprinter in a few days and picking up a long tall Promaster, loaded, the next day!
I'm not looking back at all for all the same reasons every other Sorinter owner is buying either a Promaster or a Transit in the next few years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently made the same change, 2005 Sprinter 118" to a 2014 PM 118". I was getting 25 mpg on the Sprinter and it appears the PM will be around 16 or 17. Loved the Sprinter but it was developing a few issues I did not want to mess with any longer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I owned 3 Sprinters new in 03,04. My new Diesel promaster I think handles better in the wind then the Sprinter did. Also when going over uneven ground the Sprinter would not flex and wheel would come off ground. I hated that along with many other things about Sprinter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I owned a 07 Spirinter, first year for the V6 diesel. Loved it at first, averaged 20-21 in the summer and 18-19 in the winter city/hwy. I put on 52 to 55K a year as a courier. But the maintenance was a killer, new brake calipers at 35k, front end work, ball joints, tie rod and struts at 67k, misc small irritations with the lights. Never idled the sprinter even in the winter but the swirl valves went bad at 150k, that ment new heads and close to $7k to repair with the lost time.Tranny was acting up after 90k. I thought that I had escaped the known rust problem but it was like someone thru a switch and the last 9 months of ownership it appeared everywhere, very disheartening to say the least. Lack of qualified techs to work on it was very frustrating. I had thought/hoped that I would see 500k on it but I made it to 227k and thru in the towel. Just could not trust it anymore. The PM has its issues but I am very happy with it, the FWD is great, I average 16 mpg in the dead of winter and 19 last summer with the V6 gasser so all is good so far. Picked mine up last April off the lot, closing in on 50k and not looking back with my fingers crossed! :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've been in my company issued Sprinter since they bought it for me in Oct. of 2010. It's a 2010 3500 long wheel base tall roof with HD rear end. I'm on vacation as we speak and the Sprinter is in at the body shop getting the right rear cargo door replaced due to my parking by the braille method (it was the tree's fault, I swear). As long as it's there they are going around it and sprucing up some of the rust spots. A 4 1/2 year old van with 90,000 miles on it shouldn't be breaking out in rust spots in the middle of body panels, out from under door handles, etc. The Sprinter has had constant service issues since new. Parts replaced to date include: all 6 glow plugs, some more than once, glow plug controller, def pump, def heating element, AGR / EGR valve, part of a glow plug wire harness that burned through near the turbo, Front exhaust pipe including cracked flex pipe, pinion bearing in differential, strut bearing / mounts, plus more I'm sure I'm forgetting. The majority of this work has been covered under the emissions warranty, but it is still at least a day of downtime every time it has to go in for service. The closest dealer is over an hour away. Granted this is a plumbing service truck that is always loaded within 1000 lbs. of max GVWR. It's used for 6 or more short runs daily, primarily within a 20 mile radius. Only occasionally does it see extended interstate driving of an hour or more. Not ideal driving conditions for a diesel, but they don't offer it with a gas motor, and at the time it was the only van available with this capacity. Now that there is real competition out there, I doubt we'll ever buy another. I also question weather a PM like my personal vehicle would hold up to the heavy load we have in the Sprinter. A local electrician has an extended 3500 PM that is very heavy and used for towing. The dealership told me they already had to replace rear spring u-bolts on that van. I likely won't get to find out how a PM would hold up to my work use. My boss has a severe case of Ford on the brain. He just purchased two new transits for the fleet and when he gets sick of paying to fix the Sprinter, I'll likely be driving a long wheel base tall T-350 with an eco-boost. I don't like that idea because anything over 9' won't fit though drive thru's etc. Yet the medium roof won't be tall enough for me to stand inside of. When he bought the Sprinter, my boss said he'd like to see it go 10 years and 200,000 miles. With what it's been like so far, there ain't a snowballs chance down under. Once it's out of warranty and he has to pay for the emissions repairs, he'll get sick of it in a hurry. Service trucks need to be way more dependable than the Sprinter has been.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm currently an owner of a 2008 Sprinter Van with 109k miles. I really like the way it looks and handles. However, we have had many expensive repairs done. So far we've replaced the EGR and torque converter, glow plugs multiple times and glow plug controller. The side cargo door has been repaired 3 times ($500-900). The air conditioner fan has been replaced twice. The brakes have been done 4 times along with the brake booster once. Not to mention the Turbo (3k). I estimate that around 15 grand has been spent or repairs (including the warranty work) not counting scheduled maintenance. This is a very nice van to drive, but a very expensive van to own. One of the biggest problems we have faced has been the terrible service we've received at the dealerships. Both dealerships are competent, but they are severely overbooked. One is a week out for an appointment and the other is two - just to look at it. From a work vehicle that is a serious problem.

We are hoping to get a gasser 3500 PM high roof extended tomorrow or Monday.

1 - 19 of 23 Posts