Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with my electrical system and can't find an electrician in San Diego to work on it.

My setup:

- three 120W solar panels
- 30A MPPT BlueSky 3000i Charge Controller
- 12V 300A LiFePO4 battery
- 3000W pure sine inverter (cheap one off eBay)

Problem:

- inverter showing high voltage when under heavy loads
- battery voltage dropping from 13.5VDC to under 12.9VDC when under heavy load
- I need someone to go through and make sure everything is safe: properly fused and grounded, no resistance, etc. Basically, I want somebody to double check my work in person.

I've contacted over 30 businesses in San Diego from the marine and RV industry to residential solar installers, and nobody will look at it.

I need to have a professional look at my setup, but I can't find anybody.

Does anybody want to get paid to take a look? Or can you recommend somebody in Southern California that I can hire who to look at it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I contacted several marine business that specialize in electrical and all of them said they wouldn't look at it. Any boat shop in particular I should call?

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Hmm, I contacted several marine business that specialize in electrical and all of them said they wouldn't look at it. Any boat shop in particular I should call?
Sorry I’ve only been to S-D once. I didn’t mean to sideline you. RV places should know too but they may not be any more willing.
Normal electricians are not likely to be familiar with solar, 12 volt, DC, or inverters. Craig's List for someone?
I hear you can even get a date that way!

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
Cannuck4ever is correct! Take photos, document what you’ve done and post it here. Someone will figure it out. Your chance of finding any regular electrician help you are next to nothing. RD is correc with idea of having a RV or boat shop look at it is but very few of these types of businesses want to get involved in anything they didn’t sell or install (and I would bet more people here are as knowledgeable or more than they are).

·
Registered
808 Posts
You might also try looking for a solar/off-grid company. I haven't lived in SD for quite a while, so no current contacts. There may also be some tiny house folks that might help you. I remember a tiny house program with somebody in Solano beach or Cardiff or thereabouts. I'd expect there'd be some solar in the desert.

Whether you find someone or post here, you'll probably need to measure the load of your devices with a killawatt meter.

I have this one:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/P4400-Kill-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509277443&sr=8-1&keywords=killawatt+meter[/ame]

And this one which does peak and other measurements (it's a little hard to use though, the instructions aren't great)

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RHIXWM6/ref=dp_sp_detail2?psc=1[/ame]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts