Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I'm going to be purchasing a ProMaster later this year and I'm struggling between the low roof 1500 and high roof 2500.

I carry ladders and long lengths of lumber/moldings quite often and will be utilizing the roof rack for those items. My concern with the high roof is having to carry a dedicated ladder at all times in order for me to lash the material down properly where as with the low roof it wouldn't be as difficult.

Has anybody dealt with that issue and what did you decide? Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm in the window covering business and I carry over length ladders and products. I chose the PM 159ext High roof.
I haven't bothered with a roof rack, I can put my Werner 24' extension ladder on the load floor BEHIND the drivers seat, and close the door. You can put 16' pieces of trim easily inside the PM. If you opt for the roof rack, you can bungee a step ladder to the side wall inside, standing up! I carry a variety of ladders all the time, 3', 4' & 6', all stowed against the walls, leaving virtually all my floor space open. I's AMAZING just how much this truck will carry. By far, my favorite work truck of all time, and I've been doing this for 43 years.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm a building contractor and opted for the low roof in part because of the roof rack height issue. Even with the low roof I need a 4' ladder to access the rack. I only have a 136 as well, so anything longer than 12' has to go on the roof. Love the van for working out of though, and the small size makes it easy to drive.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There are a couple of companies that make a rack that rotates down the side of the pm to make it super easy to load and unload a ladder.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In Europe You see many Fiat Ducato with a loading system going down on the back for ladders.
There are many different solutions less or more complex (and prices).

Usually You see more on Fiat Doblò (Ram Promaster City)

There are also internal solutions, like this offered as accessory by Fiat Professional (Fiat Doblò Cargo)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I never liked the side off-loading design we see here in the states. This rear system from Europe looks a lot better. If available here I would consider getting one.

At first I didn't put a rack on my van. The ladders I needed can be kept inside the van. Then I decided to add it the rack for the few times I might need it. It looks good and will function fine but it did cut into my miles per gallon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts