Ram Promaster Forum banner

Any 2017 information?

47K views 181 replies 36 participants last post by  Chance 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen any 2017 information? Timing, changes, etc.?

Lack of information seems odd considering other manufacturers are already working with 2017 model year. :confused:

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I didn't find much doing a forum search.

#2 ·
There is much speculation that FCA will either do a facelift on the Promaster in 2017 to make it look like the Euro Version or keep it the same until the Euro Version gets its next revision probably in 2019-2020. I lean towards the latter as we have only had this model here for three years and another one or two years wouldn't make much difference.

#33 ·
2018 update or ?

Interesting that the 2016 Ducatos for sale in Mexico have the updated X290 front end. They are likely imported because the Promasters coming out of Saltillo have significant production differences for the US market (thinking paint and engines...).

If the Mexican Ducatos were from the same Saltillo plant, that might mean an update in 2018 because the retooling is done already, else, 2 more years to design horns for the new grille sounds about right.

#6 ·
There might be an update in July. It seems that orders for MY'16 should end at the end of May. Sometimes there may not be news until September about next model years. I am hoping for the updated front end as well....

I created an option update thread here:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36945

Production updates are here, note that PM is TBD for 2017 model year deliveries:
http://www.donlen.com/buildstart-trucks-chrysler.html
Also note that mid-July was when production started up in 2015 for MY2016.

Getting close! Lets hope that FCA does us right!

#7 ·
If the 2017's have a revision FCA will want to suppress the update fact ALAP to avoid having lots of "old style" vans on the lots. Considering posters' comments about finding 1 or 2 YO vans at dealers now FCA can't succeed at that since some dealers just won't move their vans. If the van doesn't change looks or features there is little reason to tout the "new model year" so we won't hear about them either. In the past two years we have heard almost nothing year to year. I believe your September date is a good guess or no announcement at all even a better bet.

#11 ·
Perhaps in the work to redesign the van to take the V-6 when it was introduced, there was little budget to get the new front end headlights certified for the USA.
Actually it makes sense to me that FCA will align the updates of the NA and Euro models for now on. Marchionne said as much in his stockholder reports, stating that he wants to commonize parts between platforms.

If FCA is serious about competing with Ford, then to get a higher GVWR, they should just import the Iveco Daily

#13 ·
....cut....

If FCA is serious about competing with Ford, then to get a higher GVWR, they should just import the Iveco Daily

Based on specs, the Iveco goes beyond Ford and Mercedes vans in size, GVWR, and GCWR. They would be a good choice for heavy or large loads.

Personally, I would prefer a larger version of the Ducato/ProMaster better than an Iveco Daily. A FWD, low-floor, and more-stable van would be my choice, particularly if FCA stretched it in the future to 24- to 25-feet to compete with Mercedes and Iveco. Realistically, the market for longer vans would be limited mostly to RVs.

What I would like to see most is a wider van. That's what is missing in the entire category mix -- in the US anyway. A van around 90-inches wide that can be driven and parked pretty much like a regular vehicle would have advantages for a Class B build that would be hard to ignore.

#12 ·
"If FCA is serious about competing with Ford, then to get a higher GVWR, they should just import the Iveco Daily"

I think that imported trucks are subject to the "chicken tax" and that is why complete Sprinters are partly disassembled, shipped as parts, and reassembled in the US. Cab chassis Sprinters are considered to be incomplete and are not subject to the tax. Promasters are assembled in Mexico and come into the US and Canada without the added tax via the North America Free Trade Agreement. Imported Ivecos would be subject to the large tax, I think.

One reason that Sprinters are expensive is that the reassembly process adds about 8 percent to their internal costs by their own admission. In about a year Daimler will be building Sprinters in the US.

#14 ·
Just received this message from my dealer- looks like a new car before September!

More great news sir !
Your new 2017 RAM ProMaster Cargo Van has a I.D. # of 3C6TRVAD3HE501685 and has an estimated ship date of August 12th !
Should arrive at Shaver Automotive by 8/30/2016 .
I will keep you informed of any delays however .

#17 ·
I ordered my 2015 on the last day orders could be taken to get delivery of a 2015. If I had not then my van would have been postponed two months as they start production with some fleet sales and begin filling individual orders about a month later, so I was told. Mine took a month from shipping date until delivered date. Be patient!

#18 ·
Can they do that? Substitute a 2017 for a 2016? (I assume you have a sales contract that describes a "2016 model year vehicle.")

It seems like nothing to complain about, since it would be to your advantage (You'll appear to have a one-year-newer vehicle at resale time). Also, I assume you agreed to a fixed price, so again, to your advantage if there is an MSRP increase with the model year change.

#19 · (Edited)
Chrysler agreed to buy back my 118" Diesel due to major emissions problems. When they replaced the 3rd wiring harness I decided that was enough and Chrysler was kind enough to offer the buy back. I got the official confirmation that the buy back was a go on 4/29/2016 so I ordered a replacement vehicle on that date. My dealer told me at that time that orders for 2016s were no longer being accepted and my new vehicle would be a 2017.

I actually surrendered my old vehicle on 5/19/2016 and while at the dealer's turning in my old vehicle, I checked on the status of my new vehicle. Dealer said it was assigned a VIN of 3C6TRVAD6HE500112 but there was no build or ship date. If tipridr has a VIN ending in HE501685 with a ship date of 8/12 I'm guessing mine should ship a few days earlier - assuming the last numbers of the vin are sequential.

There were some rumor's that an electronic parking brake would be used in place of the mechanical one as part of the Diesel package as a late 2016 option. As far as I know that never happened. Maybe it will be part of the 2017 model year. My dealer says he's seen nothing about it in his ordering system (at least so far). Certainly very little about the 2017 options on the web yet.

Lex

#22 ·
Somewhere a about a year ago I found a corporate update schedule for FCA and for the Promaster it said 2018 but did not specify if that meant model year 2018 or during the year 2018. I haven’t seen it recently when looking for their plans.

What inducement is there for them to do it? I fear they will tack on some ugly pig nose ram truck monstrosity similar to the Transit oinker.

#21 ·
Maybe they're being the only manufacturer with some decent common sense. I doubt it though.

I have never liked, nor understood, the offering of Model year "3" when its still year "2". Ok, maybe late December would be acceptable. But I've even seen some companies offer model year "3" vehicles available in year "1". WTF!?!?

Its like the September issue of your magazine being available in June, when they actually wrote the articles in February.

#24 ·
My new 2017 Promaster, (replacing the one that Chrysler bought back) was scheduled to be shipped yesterday, 7/28/16. Contacted them today to check status and they said they're still waiting parts for my build. No new ship date. Customer Service says could take up to 30 days.

The electronic parking brake is finally being offered on the Ram Promaster Build/Price website as a $260 option on the 2017 diesel only. It is option XC4. I tried to get it added to my build but no luck. Dealer says not in their system to order yet, and Chrysler customer service says that my vehicle has a VIN and no changes to build are allowed once a VIN is assigned. Annoying but guess I'll have to live with it. Really wanted the electronic parking brake.

Other than that, haven't noticed anything new on the 2017's.

Lex

#27 · (Edited)
@seapro. Based on the description on the "Build/Price" website the electronic parking brake is manually switched, but who knows, haven't actually seen one. Not sure it would be an easy addition for the dealer. I don't know how they accomplish the break function but I suspect it requires completely different rear wheel assemblies, and of course, the removal of that Rube Goldberg cable mess under the chassis. Maybe even a different insert in the dash to accommodate the switch and a different main wiring harness. I suspect it's a pretty major operation if not done in the original build.

They've been saying that they're going to offer this option for almost 2 years now and it's just now showing up, so I suspect the project encountered some unexpected problems as they worked to implement it. When it is available it sure will be nice. I hate getting goosed by that brake handle every time I get out of the vehicle. I think it should be available for all models, not just the diesel.

Lex

#29 ·
Good points Lex.

The rear may be limited to new calipers, which might make pad replacement easier. And eliminating cables should make it easier to locate tanks, batteries, and possibly even generator under van. I agree it should be on all models as it would benefit all RVs.

I drove a rental car which had electric parking brake, and it worked great. I had looked at an aftermarket kit years ago for my Ford van because parking brake is useless, but there were issues with passing inspection on a retrofit. In that case you apply brakes and a solenoid valve locked the pressure on calipers. I don't know how factory systems work, but expect something similar (although newer vehicles often can apply brakes without driver depressing brake pedal, so it "may" be fully automatic).

Did you notice any other general revisions for 2017?

#28 ·
If it has happened more than once you have been geesed!

On the diesel there is a relentless chime if you don’t set the E-brake even if you shut the van off in drive or reverse when it probably is not needed. In our case an automatically engaged E-brake would be convenient.

#30 ·
@Chance
I haven't noticed anything other than the electronic parking brake being made available for the 2017 model year, but that doesn't mean they haven't made other changes. My interest is pretty narrow (things that make conversion easier or fix an annoyance like the parking brake handle), so I didn't spend any time looking for cosmetic changes or other minor details.

I would be interested to know what is causing the build delay for my 136 low roof diesel. Wondering if all diesel builds are being held up, or if fleet builds exceeded expectations and they are producing those first. Customer Service did tell me it was a parts availability issue, but that may just be a standard answer. Dealer told me today that there is no change in status for my build. It still shows in their system as a ship date of 7/28/16 and a "D" (Firm Schedule:serial number assigned) status code. Dealer said not much would happen until the status code changes to D1 which indicates it is actually scheduled to be built.

Lex

#32 ·
2017 Info

was checking status on my 8-8-16 production order for a diesel - this is the reply I received:

According to the zone office FCA is waiting on approval of the eco diesel engine for the RAM ProMaster .
Same story as last year when they arrived for sale .
I will keep you informed with any updated info sir .

#35 ·
It is interesting that the 2016 Ducatos for sale in Mexico have the x290 updates (front end, etc). I'm guessing they are still be imported though because the Promaster production is that much different. However, if they are made on the same line in Saltillo, then it would seem to increase the odds for a 2018 Promaster x290 update. Just a guess.

#36 ·
Checked on my 136 Low Roof Diesel yesterday morning and was told by Ram Customer Service that 2017 gassers were shipping to dealers but but no 2017 diesels were in production yet. If tipridr is correct I wonder who they have to get approval from? If there are no changes from the previous model year and it was approved, what's different about this year. Apparently the gas engine model didn't need said approvals since they are in production.

Very strange,

Lex

#37 ·
#39 ·
2017 Info

Here is the latest from the fleet manager I am dealing with- note my original build date was early August:

"Looks like according to the zone office in Orange County that theses vans will pass emissions in October and arrive in November to Shaver Auto ."

#40 ·
Posted By DODGE:
"Some say the gas Pentastar engine is too big for the new hood design.” Ah Ha! That would explain everything! Now I am even more sure we will get a Pig Nose in 2018.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.