Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen any 2017 information? Timing, changes, etc.?

Lack of information seems odd considering other manufacturers are already working with 2017 model year. :confused:

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I didn't find much doing a forum search.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
There is much speculation that FCA will either do a facelift on the Promaster in 2017 to make it look like the Euro Version or keep it the same until the Euro Version gets its next revision probably in 2019-2020. I lean towards the latter as we have only had this model here for three years and another one or two years wouldn't make much difference.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks. I just expected more information to have come out in the last 8 or 9 months.

The link does have a pretty cool expedition van based on extended 159 WB, which is rare for Euro campers. Most use the 6-meter van (regular 159").

A design detail that caught my eye was the folding table. It's much like an oversize airplane folding tray that comes out of armrest. I like it a lot -- nothing to store. It's probably not as sturdy as one with legs, but we are easy on equipment so it should be fine for us. It'd be nice if they sold it as a complete kit.

·
Registered
654 Posts
There might be an update in July. It seems that orders for MY'16 should end at the end of May. Sometimes there may not be news until September about next model years. I am hoping for the updated front end as well....

I created an option update thread here:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36945

Production updates are here, note that PM is TBD for 2017 model year deliveries:
http://www.donlen.com/buildstart-trucks-chrysler.html
Also note that mid-July was when production started up in 2015 for MY2016.

Getting close! Lets hope that FCA does us right!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
If the 2017's have a revision FCA will want to suppress the update fact ALAP to avoid having lots of "old style" vans on the lots. Considering posters' comments about finding 1 or 2 YO vans at dealers now FCA can't succeed at that since some dealers just won't move their vans. If the van doesn't change looks or features there is little reason to tout the "new model year" so we won't hear about them either. In the past two years we have heard almost nothing year to year. I believe your September date is a good guess or no announcement at all even a better bet.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
....cut...

Getting close! Lets hope that FCA does us right!
What would you personally consider doing us "right"?

The only possible major pending changes I'm aware of are revised front and automatic transmission with gasoline engine.

Is there anything else major we may see?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When Europe market gets an upgrade, the North American market gets it the same model year.

The Ram Promaster front end dates from the 2006 Ducato. Why do we get the scraps...? Its BS
I'm not sure if that's limited to RAM/Fiat. It seems that when Mercedes came out with 4X4 Sprinter, there was a delay reaching the US Market.

Also, Mercedes recently announced the Sprinter will be upgraded to include a 5.5 Tonne model (12,125-pound Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and they're not even sure that will reach the US.

Talking of European upgrades, it will be interesting to see if Fiat upgrades GVWR of Ducato to better compete with upgraded Sprinter. It may take the next complete Ducato redesign to go beyond 9,350 pounds.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Perhaps in the work to redesign the van to take the V-6 when it was introduced, there was little budget to get the new front end headlights certified for the USA.
Actually it makes sense to me that FCA will align the updates of the NA and Euro models for now on. Marchionne said as much in his stockholder reports, stating that he wants to commonize parts between platforms.

If FCA is serious about competing with Ford, then to get a higher GVWR, they should just import the Iveco Daily

·
Registered
428 Posts
"If FCA is serious about competing with Ford, then to get a higher GVWR, they should just import the Iveco Daily"

I think that imported trucks are subject to the "chicken tax" and that is why complete Sprinters are partly disassembled, shipped as parts, and reassembled in the US. Cab chassis Sprinters are considered to be incomplete and are not subject to the tax. Promasters are assembled in Mexico and come into the US and Canada without the added tax via the North America Free Trade Agreement. Imported Ivecos would be subject to the large tax, I think.

One reason that Sprinters are expensive is that the reassembly process adds about 8 percent to their internal costs by their own admission. In about a year Daimler will be building Sprinters in the US.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
....cut....

If FCA is serious about competing with Ford, then to get a higher GVWR, they should just import the Iveco Daily

Based on specs, the Iveco goes beyond Ford and Mercedes vans in size, GVWR, and GCWR. They would be a good choice for heavy or large loads.

Personally, I would prefer a larger version of the Ducato/ProMaster better than an Iveco Daily. A FWD, low-floor, and more-stable van would be my choice, particularly if FCA stretched it in the future to 24- to 25-feet to compete with Mercedes and Iveco. Realistically, the market for longer vans would be limited mostly to RVs.

What I would like to see most is a wider van. That's what is missing in the entire category mix -- in the US anyway. A van around 90-inches wide that can be driven and parked pretty much like a regular vehicle would have advantages for a Class B build that would be hard to ignore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just received this message from my dealer- looks like a new car before September!

More great news sir !
Your new 2017 RAM ProMaster Cargo Van has a I.D. # of 3C6TRVAD3HE501685 and has an estimated ship date of August 12th !
Should arrive at Shaver Automotive by 8/30/2016 .
I will keep you informed of any delays however .

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just received this message from my dealer- looks like a new car before September!

More great news sir !
Your new 2017 RAM ProMaster Cargo Van has a I.D. # of 3C6TRVAD3HE501685 and has an estimated ship date of August 12th !
Should arrive at Shaver Automotive by 8/30/2016 .
I will keep you informed of any delays however .
It sounds like you ordered it. Did you know it was 2017 instead of 2016? If so, was there anything different from 2016 model year?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes no more 2016's in production- but it was ordered based on 2016 options- dont know about any model changes- - will see in a few months

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I ordered my 2015 on the last day orders could be taken to get delivery of a 2015. If I had not then my van would have been postponed two months as they start production with some fleet sales and begin filling individual orders about a month later, so I was told. Mine took a month from shipping date until delivered date. Be patient!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can they do that? Substitute a 2017 for a 2016? (I assume you have a sales contract that describes a "2016 model year vehicle.")

It seems like nothing to complain about, since it would be to your advantage (You'll appear to have a one-year-newer vehicle at resale time). Also, I assume you agreed to a fixed price, so again, to your advantage if there is an MSRP increase with the model year change.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Chrysler agreed to buy back my 118" Diesel due to major emissions problems. When they replaced the 3rd wiring harness I decided that was enough and Chrysler was kind enough to offer the buy back. I got the official confirmation that the buy back was a go on 4/29/2016 so I ordered a replacement vehicle on that date. My dealer told me at that time that orders for 2016s were no longer being accepted and my new vehicle would be a 2017.

I actually surrendered my old vehicle on 5/19/2016 and while at the dealer's turning in my old vehicle, I checked on the status of my new vehicle. Dealer said it was assigned a VIN of 3C6TRVAD6HE500112 but there was no build or ship date. If tipridr has a VIN ending in HE501685 with a ship date of 8/12 I'm guessing mine should ship a few days earlier - assuming the last numbers of the vin are sequential.

There were some rumor's that an electronic parking brake would be used in place of the mechanical one as part of the Diesel package as a late 2016 option. As far as I know that never happened. Maybe it will be part of the 2017 model year. My dealer says he's seen nothing about it in his ordering system (at least so far). Certainly very little about the 2017 options on the web yet.

Lex

·
Registered
179 Posts
OK, It's nearly August now & still can't find anything on what will be new for 2017 ProMaster.

Heard that Ram already closed 2016 orders, so are they turning ProMaster prospects away w/o any 2017 specs to peddle?

1 - 20 of 182 Posts